Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 09:43 AM

17 posts, read 42,826 times

Advertisements

Hello--looking for some advice on a kind of terrible situation that just happened (tldr job offer rescinded, already quit old job):

I wanted to switch career paths and I landed the job of my dreams (in the new field) recently. It's taken almost a year and lots of hard work on the side, and lots of applications and interviews to finally land the new job. I had a written and signed offer letter with all the details, start date, the manager was emailing me about how excited they were that I was joining; I resigned at my old job, handed everything off during my two week notice, and they gave me a big sendoff on my last day. Two days later, right before I'm supposed to start my new job, the new manager calls me and tells me they had an unexpected reorganization and the higher ups decided to cut the budget for the department and the position has been eliminated. So now I'm jobless and not sure what to do--here are the options I came up with, but in this state can't quite think clearly on what would be the best move forward:

1) Beg for my old job back--however, I'm pretty intent on switching fields so it would be obvious to them that I don't plan on staying at that job long term. It was kind of a dead end field, I got along fine with my coworkers but there were one or two unpleasant characters, so it's not a situation I would want to stay in. Also very humiliating since every single person in the company was part of my two week offboarding. The most likely scenario is that I could just tell them what happened and come back on as a contractor to fill in and also train a replacement while I look for another job. I left having signed a short term contractor agreement with them just in case they had an emergency and needed my help with something after I left.

2) Some people mentioned unemployment benefits, but I don't know if I'm eligible? I read that you have to have tried hard to get your old job back (and be able to prove it). Also since I have that contractor agreement, not sure if that gets in the way.

3) Just live on my savings and look for a new job. If I do this, how should I present my situation on my resume? Should I just leave out the rescinded position and have the dates for my old job say "2013-present" (as if nothing happened), since I technically still have a contractor agreement with them, even if I'm not doing any active work for them at the moment? Or put "2013-2015" and it will just look like I'm unemployed right now? Or put the rescinded position with a note that explains the situation, since the new field is hard to get into and it would show that I at least got an offer for this kind of position before?

4) Any other course of action I might not have thought of?

I'm still kind of in shock that this has happened. One day you're securely employed with benefits, excited to start on your dream career, next day you're left out in the dust with no job, no insurance, and a lot of anxiety :/.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 09:59 AM

144 posts, read 342,324 times
If I was intent on switching career fields I wouldn't want to go back to my old company, besides the embarrassment you likely will be looking to leave soon again which may cause some resentment among your old co-workers who you may still want to keep in contact with.

Have you thought about getting a temporary position so that you won't drain your savings too quickly? Something like a warehouse or retail for a little while would give you the opportunity to keep your search going while keeping some income coming in.

I would just list on my resume 2013-2015. If they the potential employer pressed the issue I would be honest about the situation.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:02 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,424,666 times
You have grounds for a lawsuit in most states under "detrimental reliance." You quit your job based on the promise of them delivering you a new one and they didn't deliver causing you damages.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:15 AM

17 posts, read 42,826 times
I'm in CA so all employment is at will, you can fire someone or leave a company for any reason at any time--I think we don't have as much leeway for lawsuits here.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:23 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,282,338 times
Sorry to hear. I think you've listed out your options pretty well. It all comes down to what you are comfortable with. I don't think it would hurt you by trying 1-3.

1 - I've done this (I started a new job and realized I made a mistake). You have to swallow your pride. And really know what you're getting into. I think in this case, where you made it very clear that you are leaving for reason's other than "a better opportunity" - your success may be slim.

2 - I doubt you'd qualify for UE since you resigned from your old job, and never started your new job. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

3 - This is probably your most logical answer. Essentially keep plugging away as best as you can. I would ask your "ex-future employer" if they would be willing to send you an email summarizing their decision. This way you have some documentation in case it would help. I personally would not list "present" for your current job as that is NOT accurate. While not doing so may get less responses. Doing so may simply waste your time with folks that would be turned off by being 'misled'.

4 - As MSchemist80 pointed out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
You have grounds for a lawsuit in most states under "detrimental reliance." You quit your job based on the promise of them delivering you a new one and they didn't deliver causing you damages.
You can do some research on this. Albeit I personally don't think it's worth it. From what I've read, it's extremely rare that you'll be successful. And I think that will end up hurting you in the long run as you'll have to spend time/money doing this. And who knows what happens to your reputation if people find out.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:39 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,948,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1234 View Post
I'm in CA so all employment is at will, you can fire someone or leave a company for any reason at any time--I think we don't have as much leeway for lawsuits here.

CA is one of the most employee friendly states. Very employee friendly. Consult a labor attorney.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:45 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,479,283 times
If you need the money or are concerned about being "unemployed" on your resume, then contact your current employer about coming back either as a regular employee or a contract employee. Just tell the manager the truth. Nobody will hold it against you. They will feel sad for you for what happened. Don't be embarrassed.

However, if you don't need the money, then now you have the time to focus 100% on a job search in your new field. Spend this unexpected free time job searching. You can go to interviews without having to take time off work. You'll have time to tweak your resume for each job. You'll likely find many additional openings that you didn't know about before because you were working and didn't have the time to put into the job search.

About unemployment compensation. There is a sub forum just under this one. Go there - post the question with your state listed. The folks on that sub forum know each state's unemployment compensation rules. You might want to post there before you approach your current employer. Who knows, maybe you qualify. I don't know. Those folks will have lots of input for you.

BTW - this happened to me before too. I actually showed up for the 1st day of work at the new job when they told me the job fell through. They strung me along for a week about getting paperwork signed. But the paperwork never got signed. I went back to my old job. They were happy to have me. I think at that point I started working from home at the old job too. Nobody ever judged me about that new job falling through. People are understanding. It's good never to burn bridges.

About the job that fell through. Follow up with that hiring manager in a few weeks to tell him to keep you in mind if budgets allow the position in the future. In the figure their budget might open up again and the job might be available in a month or two or three. Once budgets are freed up again, that manager surely will be trying to get approval for the job to be filled. Or possibly another person on their team resigns and they can hire you that way because it's a replacement position and not a 'new' position. Timing might not work for you, but keep that door open because you never know. Sometimes the most unexpected job leads turn into an offer.

Last edited by sware2cod; 04-23-2015 at 12:37 PM..

Old 04-23-2015, 11:54 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,074,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post

Not sure about the legal challenge, but I would definitely go back to the company that offered you employment and ask for some sort of compensation. You relied on their "contract" (offer and acceptance letter) and now they are reneging. The "why" is irrelevant.

I would ask for a year's salary, and maybe settle for six months, during which time you will find another opportunity.

Don't be shy about fighting for what is owed to you. As for the change in jobs on your resume, and during interviews, the best course is to be honest. People will appreciate that, and while I would never hire someone on the "sympathy" factor, we have all been there, and showing a little compassion is not a bad thing.

Old job is toast. You might privately have a "conversation" explaining what happened, but probably best for both of you if you keep moving forward.

Don't panic! you got hired in a new field once; you can do it again.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:02 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,199,670 times
This is a great website about jobs and careers that happens to have answered exactly this question. I would do as they recommend.

my job offer was revoked before I started -- and after I quit my job

Old 04-23-2015, 12:39 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,424,666 times
At the very least I'd post it on Glassdoor to warn future candidates not to trust this company as what they did was despicable. That may end up being the best you can do, publicly shame and embarrass that company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment