Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 10:34 AM

159 posts, read 177,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
This scorched-earth employment advice is horrible.
yeah, and the OPs situation is ideal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 12:44 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
I'd go, hat in hand, and explain, not really asking for the job back, just letting them know that you'd be available should they need you. Then take ANYTHING you can get until the REAL dream job comes along.

I'd check out the unemployment bennies, too.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:55 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Differant situation but it is never too late to go back to an employer that you left on good terms with.

A former co-worker left to start a business. He left on good terms. His partners were his Father in Law and another family member. What happened was that during the year they were working on getting the business off the ground the father in law put it out there that he owned the company and that the other two were employees. Originally they were all three supposed to own it together. My former co-worker ended up coming back 11 months later with his head held low, asking if he could have his old job back. Since they needed someone he was brought back at the same pay as when he left. He ended up working another 18 years before retiring this past year.

One of the RN's here decided that she wanted to become a Traveler so she could see more of the Country. After a year she returned to her former job and has been here ever since.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:05 PM

186 posts, read 427,457 times
Quote:
This scorched-earth employment advice is horrible.
Well, if put a little differently their point is very valid. I made that mistake of giving my notice BEFORE knowing that the new job was 100% secure, and that's probably one of the biggest lessons, don't give notice until you're ready to leave for good, no matter what happens.

And honestly, in my industry, most people, especially if leaving to go to a competitor, give a day or two at most, because the employer isn't going to want you to stick around. Now if you're shopping for a raise or promotion, that two weeks may give your employer time to give you a counter offer...if you're a valuable contributor, but in most cases that doesn't happen.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:20 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJFillet View Post
Well, if put a little differently their point is very valid. I made that mistake of giving my notice BEFORE knowing that the new job was 100% secure, and that's probably one of the biggest lessons, don't give notice until you're ready to leave for good, no matter what happens.

And honestly, in my industry, most people, especially if leaving to go to a competitor, give a day or two at most, because the employer isn't going to want you to stick around. Now if you're shopping for a raise or promotion, that two weeks may give your employer time to give you a counter offer...if you're a valuable contributor, but in most cases that doesn't happen.

No it's not good advice. It's short-sighted.

If you don't leave on good terms, it may affect references for future employment as well as burning the bridge to potentially return if the new job didn't work out -- as in OP's scenario.

If the employer wants you to leave before that, it's their prerogative. That's not leaving on bad terms.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:27 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJFillet View Post
Not to stray too far off topic, but I want to point out to you that corporations are increasingly being run by the government. All of the government mandates (equal pay, gender neutrality, universal health insurance, being "green", etc.) are causing our corporations to make decisions that are increasingly in contradiction to the well being of the employee. Many corporations take it to the extreme to "look good" because the government makes these things look like they are for the best interests of ALL the people, when in fact, they are only in the best interests of select groups comprised of very few actual employees. In other cases, corporations are forced to comply, or risk consequences, including public shame and scrutiny, as well as financial implications. Its basically becoming government telling corporations to give favor to a few at the expense of the well being of the majority.
Wrong way around.

The government is being bought up by big business, and as much as certain extremists hate "duh evil gubermint," I find it laughable how quickly they'll sell out to big business... even though it is even more corrupt and can't even be voted out of office. Remember, government is evil because of the power it has, but corporations - who write the laws and can't be voted out of office - are just great! Right...

I'm very tired of the "big government" boogie man. It's a total farce. Government does what it is told by those who hold the power, which right now is Big Business. The notion that government is "persecuting" our poor, saintly businesses is a laugh. Corporations and their lobbyist lackies write the laws, not evil "liberals" - the nonsense implied in your post. They also buy up the elections.

Unreal how far the "gubermint bad / corporations good" will go with their nutty agenda.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:58 PM

50 posts, read 62,627 times
Quote:
No it's not good advice. It's short-sighted.

If you don't leave on good terms, it may affect references for future employment as well as burning the bridge to potentially return if the new job didn't work out -- as in OP's scenario.

If the employer wants you to leave before that, it's their prerogative. That's not leaving on bad terms.
Exactly. Not giving that two weeks notice burns bridges. It's a courtesy to your employer. I don't imagine the people advocating up and quitting without giving two weeks notice have ever owned a business and had employees.... otherwise they wouldn't be saying that!

And as a counter point to someone's post here, saying that employers don't give two weeks notice (they wrote something to that effect). I've only lost a job once (too many cooks, really!) and I was given the opportunity to work for two weeks longer if I wanted to. I chose to take the termination that day, as it wasn't the job for me, but I was given a choice. So, some employers/managers do give their employees two weeks notice, if you will

Old 04-24-2015, 03:21 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,384,797 times
OP - I'm sorry this happened to you.
My first piece of advice - I'm putting this all in caps: DO NOT BURN ANY BRIDGES

You went through a LOT to get this job. They offered it to you. They saw something in you that was promising. Being rude, especially on social media, is a huge mistake. Not only will that make the offering company dump you for good, it is a signal to all other potential employers that you're not a good candidate and could be a problem for them. Bad move all the way around. That's the problem with social media, it has a half life of 1,000 years.

So - what to do?
If I were you, I'd contact the offering company and ask for an appointment.
I would humbly ask if there is any advice they can offer you for your future job hunting endeavors. I wouldn't make them feel guilty. They feel bad already (or maybe they don't, in which case you dodged a bullet.)
I might ask them if they have any similar positions in any of their sister companies, or if they know of someone who might be a good fit for you. The hiring manager owes you that much. Without being overly dramatic, tell them that your old job is no longer available and you would appreciate any guidance they might have for you.

Their assistance depends on several "IF" factors -- If the offering company sees that you are an adult about this; if the offering company truly rescinded the offer due to internal changes and not due to deep background research that uncovered extremely compromising photos of you on Facebook or the like; if they really DID see promise in you, then there might be something wonderful coming your way.

I've posted this before in this forum -I had two candidates who we agonized over because both were highly qualified for the job. Both were military wives and both had great skills. One of them had more technical and computer skills and that was the determining factor. Because I was in Hawaii, and because our workforce came from practically every race on the planet, the subject of race didn't enter my mind. Unfortunately, the one I didn't hire was African American. It had nothing to do with anything. The other lady was Asian. However, the unchosen candidate went ballistic on me in a letter that I received the next morning, accusing me of racism (my kids are Hawaiian-Tahitian-Chinese-Filipino-Black)... just sayin'. This was HER stuff and it showed me a side of her that wouldn't fit in our company. We had job openings often and I would have called her immediately. As it turned out, the woman I chose for the position suddenly couldn't accept. Because of that horrible letter, I of course couldn't choose my second choice person. I went to the third one on the list.

Recruiters have long memories. If they liked you enough to offer you a job, this could be only a temporary setback. While it's tempting to go all wacko on that company, treat them as potential References and seek their assistance graciously. Your immediate paycheck concerns notwithstanding, a good relationship is worth decades of goodwill and good jobs.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:26 PM

5,278 posts, read 6,210,635 times
Happened to me last year. They were trying to counter offer so I simply asked what they could offer at that point. A while later someone figured out what happened but my job security is that they really cannot find anyone else who can perform well in my job or very few who can deal with the specific people I deal with. But I still get an occasional reminder of 'what would you do if you had gone to work for x,y,z.' Which bites.

Good luck. Maybe with things turning around this will provide a fire to look into other venues if you cannot go back to your last.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:59 PM

289 posts, read 504,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NToma99 View Post
Whatever you do, do not go back/ask to come back at your old job. It would be too soon to ask for your job back. Maybe in a month or so you can always ask to come back but right now it'd be very bad for you both emotionally and personally.

See, this is where people are stupid. They give a 2 weeks notice. Never ever give a 2 weeks notice. The best thing anyone can do is start the new job, and use vacation time to cover the first few days of the new job so they overlap and then quit the old one without notice. You have to watch out for yourself in this current economy.

People need to stop the 2 weeks notice mentality. That is old school and quite frankly if a company were to let you go, believe me they most likely wont give you a 2 weeks notice.
I recently had an experience with an employer who gave all signs of wanting to offer me a job...and then the funding for the job was delayed. Luckily they hadn't intended on offering anyone a job until they had the money in hand, (which is what smart and reputable employers should all do) so no one got burned. They are going to get in touch with candidates again when (or if) the funding is received, but it's left me so gun-shy about committing to a full-time position with them if they offer me one in the future that I think I would only accept a part-time position with them. That way I could continue to work part-time at my current job as a safety net, since my current job isn't going anywhere any time soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment