Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 11:00 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times

Advertisements

Why are people so focused on looks. Talent and work ethic should be all that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 11:02 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Why are people so focused on looks. Talent and work ethic should be all that matters.
Thats the way it SHOULD be. But its not the reality of the workplace. In fact, those aspects probably come last in line when it comes to success

Old 04-26-2015, 11:15 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
I guess it depends what line of work we are talking about. My husband for instance has always been very successful, and even though I love him more than anything , he is no "super model".

However, he has an amazing work ethic and no matter what job he has interviewed and been hired for, he has always excelled.

I also think confidence is important.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:42 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
I honestly don't know how I objectively rate in terms of looks, probably average I guess. But it seems to come to people (as in when meeting strangers) as a shock that I'm a software engineer. People tend to peg me as a student, or as an executive assistant or in marketing/sales.

Even where I've worked, people are really friendly with me, but it takes a while for them to take me seriously.

Maybe I come off too bubbly. I've had people joke about how I look like a fairy. o.O

Or maybe it's because I'm not a 'bro'. So, it's not just hot sexy women who deal with this. I think it's women in general in certain fields. .

Old 04-26-2015, 11:59 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
I guess, it depends on the type of job. Attractive women were cast into traditional female roles, instead of traditionally male jobs like a director of finance or mechanical engineer.

Attractive women 'discriminated against when applying for masculine jobs' - Telegraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telegraph
Women considered to be good looking faced a struggle when they applied for jobs more usually associated with men or positions for which appearance was not seen as being important to the job.

Such positions included job titles like manager of research and development, director of finance, mechanical engineer and construction supervisor, according to the study.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telegraph
Attractive women tended to be sorted into positions like receptionist or secretary, according to the findings in the Journal of Social Psychology.

Old 04-27-2015, 05:46 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
It's called being human. And we are conditioned by our own surroundings. So bias will always be a factor in everything we do.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:01 AM

186 posts, read 427,643 times
I think that in the case of an attractive woman, she really needs to step up her game and show strong competence/intelligence/performance. Unfortunately if the superiors are male-dominated, she may get attention for the wrong reasons, but never really get the quality of work or recognition she deserves or that her less attractive peers are getting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment