Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 07:39 PM

26 posts, read 56,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Why? because my CEO announced there'll be layoffs in the coming month.
My former CEO said the same thing to share holders, stock was in the toilet and the CEO only took hone $48 million last year opposed to the previous years $64 million.

During the month of march, I along with 8 or 900 co-workers were laid off, all in the name of reassuring the board and stock holders so he could keep raking in $$$ every year. I talk to the survivors who had to take on the work of those let go, morale is at all time lows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 07:50 PM

91 posts, read 126,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Sorry to hear that and I know productivity at your job will be low since staff now has to work without health insurance and lower salaries.
We actually declined the lower pay but were given extra unpaid time off which came in useful short term but long term yeah everyone that can will be leaving.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:44 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,693,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
@vintage_girl, but what you said contradicts itself, it might be hard to find what you call "better-paying" jobs, but the economy does have "jobs". You can refuse to acknowledge there are low paying jobs, but they are there. Sure, they aren't good for the economy, but the jobs are still coming back slowly. You wanting to narrow down what type of jobs that come back before saying the economy is better doesn't hold water because everyone always wants a "better" job. For the experience work, maybe things have changed but my first high school job where I made sandwiches at a deli, I was able to get some inventory experience/office experience/ordering experience just by offering to help out. Sure, I didn't get "paid" more but you know what, I got what I needed from it, and moved on. Not everything requires being paid more to do "extra" work. Sometimes you just do it so you can learn the new skills and then you can leverage it into another job later on.

Some people might say I was being taken advantage of because I did jobs "outside" of my role... so what? I took advantage of them by "DOING" those jobs because no one would have hired someone without experience in the first place. The amount of money I could have made from that job was $1-2/hr more, instead I got experience to make $10-15/hr more later on and now I make even more. You have to sacrifice some sweat to gain skills.
There are "jobs," and then there are jobs which provide the income necessary for a person to pay their basic expenses and eat. Sure, I was able to take low-paying jobs-- that's why I you know, didn't acknowledge them (I didn't realize we were friends?)-- but guess what, the low-paying jobs didn't want me. You seem to forget a lot of jobs have their standards too, hence the Catch-22.

I am getting tired of people insisting there are plentiful opportunities out there for everyone, when the fact is employers of all job levels continue to be selective. College-degree holders find themselves pushed out of selection because of their degree, regardless of the fact they're willing to work. Employers aren't interested in hiring someone who is going to keep looking and eventually leave.

Last month, I interviewed for a position "out of my role," and was turned down because the team was concerned I wouldn't be able to take "my role" hat off to fulfill their role. No amount of convincing could have swayed them, even though I made it clear I was looking for a job and a chance to grow.

There are clearly many low-paying jobs, who don't want a select group of people, and then there are less better-paying jobs who only want a select group of people. Don't sit there and tout about how people aren't willing to take some sweat. My gosh.

FTR, I've been through a layoff so I know what it's like. My current employer recently completed a merger and it's only because I happened to work at the right location that I did not experience a second layoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment