Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 05:54 AM

13 posts, read 17,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
My report has an entry from a prior employer that indicates if the termination was voluntary or involuntary. It appears to be a standard, but optional, field.
Most employers see a layoff as the same as being fired. Regardless the company decided they did not need someone like you and if you were any good they would have kept you. Potential employers don't want the unemployed regardless of why they left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 07:10 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
That is not the case. A layoff is generally neutral to slight negative whereas a termination is about as negative as possible you are pretty much a leper if they find out.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:20 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
I've never actually heard of a work number. I was thinking your work phone (number) which only works if you actually have an office or a company cellphone.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:42 AM

1,007 posts, read 1,125,377 times
I am in the process of buying a house and had to use the work number for the bank to verify my income. What is really annoying is that they charge $30 per company to send the verification and of course the bank charges that back to me. I am glad I only had two companies to verify.

Anyway I pulled my own report (you can do this for free but can't use it for any loans, etc.). I left my last job on good terms and my boss told me that I was elgible for rehire. On the report it just says "Inactive" and has the dates I worked there.

I would definitely go on there and pull your report and see what is there.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:51 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by great discussion View Post
Most employers see a layoff as the same as being fired. Regardless the company decided they did not need someone like you and if you were any good they would have kept you. Potential employers don't want the unemployed regardless of why they left.
Yeah ok.

I didn't say if it said voluntary or involuntary, did I?

I'm going to assume the "you" in your post is meant to be generic, since it certainly doesn't apply to me.

And since I am a hiring manager, I can assure you that your statement about employers seeing layoffs the same as being fired is not true. People are laid off all the time at no fault of their own, and any company seeking good candidates knows that and doesn't hold it against them.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:49 PM

13 posts, read 17,332 times
Default If you were any good they would keep you!

Laid off or fired, pretty much the same. Any organization worth anything knows that they have to hold on to their best people. In times of layoffs they get rid of the dead wood, and find a home for the best workers. Most employers know that the people laid off are either dead wood or trouble makers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Yeah ok.

I didn't say if it said voluntary or involuntary, did I?

I'm going to assume the "you" in your post is meant to be generic, since it certainly doesn't apply to me.

And since I am a hiring manager, I can assure you that your statement about employers seeing layoffs the same as being fired is not true. People are laid off all the time at no fault of their own, and any company seeking good candidates knows that and doesn't hold it against them.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Laid off or fired, pretty much the same. Any organization worth anything knows that they have to hold on to their best people. In times of layoffs they get rid of the dead wood, and find a home for the best workers. Most employers know that the people laid off are either dead wood or trouble makers.
Just because you keep repeating yourself doesn't make it true.

In some cases, maybe. But not always. We had to lay off staff in an out of state office that we closed. We would have kept every one of them if we could have, as there were no dead wood or troublemakers. It just wasn't possible. And every one of them found new jobs quickly.

I suppose you think the hundreds of IT workers Disney laid off and replaced with H1Bs were dead wood?

Laid off and fired (for cause) are not the same.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:05 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
Quote:
Not really seem as the same. My bosses and hiring managers have hired people that have been laid off twice. It's unusual for anybody in the industry to not have been through a layoff, unless the person has been working for less than 10 years.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:01 PM

46 posts, read 141,211 times
I'm not worrying about this. I have been told that I am getting a neutral reference. No large, global consulting company is going to subject themselves to character defamation by putting something as ambiguous as "eligible for rehire." My supervisor told me she will refer all inquiries to that number. I trust that.

I don't think Actuaries are dead wood. I have plenty of good things going for me in addition to having the person who left the company a week before it happened backing me.

Aspects of my position were scheduled to be moved to Mumbai and the medical underwriting and actuarial plan valuation is being centralized in Chicago. All of that is true. I have four interviews next week and only one am I revealing what actually happened because it's a competitor and I know everybody talks in that city. I can beat it with honesty.

1. Here is my performance review - You rated me as above average a month in a half before you fired me
2. Here is my bonus check
3. Here is my personnel file - nothing negative in there.

I can't worry about this crap it's not healthy. I know what happened and I'm pretty sure once I show the prospective employer the evidence they'd start to question the integrity of the person who fired me. It's what I get for working at a sales office - sales people are ruthless.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faded09 View Post
I'm not worrying about this. I have been told that I am getting a neutral reference. No large, global consulting company is going to subject themselves to character defamation by putting something as ambiguous as "eligible for rehire." My supervisor told me she will refer all inquiries to that number. I trust that.

I don't think Actuaries are dead wood. I have plenty of good things going for me in addition to having the person who left the company a week before it happened backing me.

Aspects of my position were scheduled to be moved to Mumbai and the medical underwriting and actuarial plan valuation is being centralized in Chicago. All of that is true. I have four interviews next week and only one am I revealing what actually happened because it's a competitor and I know everybody talks in that city. I can beat it with honesty.

1. Here is my performance review - You rated me as above average a month in a half before you fired me
2. Here is my bonus check
3. Here is my personnel file - nothing negative in there.

I can't worry about this crap it's not healthy. I know what happened and I'm pretty sure once I show the prospective employer the evidence they'd start to question the integrity of the person who fired me. It's what I get for working at a sales office - sales people are ruthless.
I wouldn't go near any of that in an interview unless they bring it up first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment