Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 08:16 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,016,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmamba View Post
You do realize that someone in their mid 30s can have nearly 20 years of experience in the workforce if they started working at 16, like many people do, right?
lol exactly, I started working at 15 (well 13, as a babysitter!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 06:25 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
lol exactly, I started working at 15 (well 13, as a babysitter!)

I started working at a very young age as well. But.... that doesn't mean my experience is the same as someone who has 20 years experience in a business role.

A teenager and young adult's maturity level and level of understanding is much different than that of someone in their late 30's and up. Therefore the interaction with management is often much different. I used to think that management was stupid and couldn't figure out why they made the decisions they did. I was sure that I knew more than they did and often questioned their decision making skills. It was because I didn't yet understand that there were often reasons why things happened beyond what they told. I also thought that just coming to work was enough. As I have gotten older I have begun to change my work habits, and my experience with management has changed. So I don't count the early years of my employment as valid other than learning the very basic of requirements (be on time, work hard, listen to management, etc..)

As we get older, we begin to understand that there are a plethora of things that need to happen, decisions that need to be made, and the cause and effect of those decisions. So we begin to understand the inner workings and most of us become better employees for it. Thus our experience with management gets better.

Some millenials (I'm one myself) don't yet have the experienced skillset and experience to understand a lot of this. It will come with more time.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:21 PM

431 posts, read 599,877 times
Quote:
It's the guest workers who are not US citizens but who are given jobs in the USA after Americans are laid off, those are the people who millennials should not have to compete with!
I've been in the US for 14 years, paid taxes and social security (which I will never collect.) So you're saying I should be denied a job so you can have one?

Old 05-06-2015, 07:13 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I started working at a very young age as well. But.... that doesn't mean my experience is the same as someone who has 20 years experience in a business role.

A teenager and young adult's maturity level and level of understanding is much different than that of someone in their late 30's and up. Therefore the interaction with management is often much different. I used to think that management was stupid and couldn't figure out why they made the decisions they did. I was sure that I knew more than they did and often questioned their decision making skills. It was because I didn't yet understand that there were often reasons why things happened beyond what they told. I also thought that just coming to work was enough. As I have gotten older I have begun to change my work habits, and my experience with management has changed. So I don't count the early years of my employment as valid other than learning the very basic of requirements (be on time, work hard, listen to management, etc..)

As we get older, we begin to understand that there are a plethora of things that need to happen, decisions that need to be made, and the cause and effect of those decisions. So we begin to understand the inner workings and most of us become better employees for it. Thus our experience with management gets better.

Some millenials (I'm one myself) don't yet have the experienced skillset and experience to understand a lot of this. It will come with more time.
I have worked with management at many companies. I have told them everything bad that can happen doing things the way they elect to do them. Bad stuff inevitability happens. Then they act surprised. Then they lay everyone off. This is not an isolated incident. I see this happening time and time again. Yes, it gets a little old.

This is my future being destroyed. If I didn't consider some of these people to be incompetent, I would likely suggest they were malicious in their efforts to sink their employing organization. What's worse is more businesses are being destroyed than created. Entrepreneurship is on the decline. Millennials don't have the funds to build businesses out of the ashes. We are literately destroying what previous generations collectively built for us.

As I get older, I only grow more frustrated at the futility of any effort. So obviously, I've been cutting back in that front. Let management sort things out. When the situation gets out of control, I'll just move on to the next employer, just like they do.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwibble View Post
I've been in the US for 14 years, paid taxes and social security (which I will never collect.) So you're saying I should be denied a job so you can have one?
Yeah. What was so wrong with working and living in your own country? Why have you been here for so long without applying for citizenship? 14 years is along time to live here and the fact that you haven't tried to become a citizen shows your alliance is probably not with the US. You're just using the US to get money, then you'll probably leave here and take all your money with you and go back to your old country, or to some other country. That doesn't help the US or Americans at all, it only helps YOU. Not to mention you did take a job away from Americans who love this country and want to be a part of it. That's parasitical, in my humble opinion.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:56 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I have worked with management at many companies. I have told them everything bad that can happen doing things the way they elect to do them. Bad stuff inevitability happens. Then they act surprised. Then they lay everyone off. This is not an isolated incident. I see this happening time and time again. Yes, it gets a little old.

This is my future being destroyed. If I didn't consider some of these people to be incompetent, I would likely suggest they were malicious in their efforts to sink their employing organization. What's worse is more businesses are being destroyed than created. Entrepreneurship is on the decline. Millennials don't have the funds to build businesses out of the ashes. We are literately destroying what previous generations collectively built for us.

As I get older, I only grow more frustrated at the futility of any effort. So obviously, I've been cutting back in that front. Let management sort things out. When the situation gets out of control, I'll just move on to the next employer, just like they do.
Other than a few cases of incompetent individuals or outright sabotage, I don't get this point...at all. The biggest reason for business destruction/closure is the lousy economy, which is largely the fault of Obama and the Democrats.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:15 PM

431 posts, read 599,877 times
Quote:
You're just using the US to get money, then you'll probably leave here and take all your money with you and go back to your old country, or to some other country. That doesn't help the US or Americans at all, it only helps YOU. Not to mention you did take a job away from Americans who love this country and want to be a part of it. That's parasitical, in my humble opinion.
Trust me, I make far, far less in the US than before I moved here, to the tune of almost $85,000 per year. Taxes, social security and health care costs are far higher too. And I didn't take a job from anyone. The one I have at the moment wouldn't have existed if I wasn't here, but thanks for playing.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:01 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
I'm not an Obama apologist by any means but you do know that he deported more illegals in 6 years than Bush ever did, right?

And if you seriously think the big business behind the Republican Party would halt the influx of immigrants into this country, you're living in a dreamworld.
City-Data is generally right-wing; if you want to see crazy, just check out the nonsense in the Politics forum... So, this silliness is about in line. "Suddenly" illegals became a problem under Obama, along with everything else. It's hilarious - and sad - how we're to pretend that all the events leading up to where we are today either didn't happen or were solely the fault of one party.

Neither party has any real use for us, but only one of them (the far right) has both a frightening number of blind loyalists these days. The Tea Party is enough of a national force to torpedo even reasonably sane Republicans; there is no national equivalent on the far left. Just expect more far-right craziness as the elections draw closer. Before you know it, the Housing Bubble will have been created by Obama, Millennials will somehow be responsible for all outsourcing, and so on. History is a moving target with certain groups.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwibble View Post
Trust me, I make far, far less in the US than before I moved here, to the tune of almost $85,000 per year. Taxes, social security and health care costs are far higher too. And I didn't take a job from anyone. The one I have at the moment wouldn't have existed if I wasn't here, but thanks for playing.
Thanks for playing what? You didn't address the fact that you're not pursuing citizenship. Or talk about your country and why you had to leave it to come here to take a job away from an American. I don't buy your story because: Why are you here if this job wouldn't exist without you? Why did you need to take a pay cut to move here then? LOL

What you're not saying says a lot, it says that you're not interested in becoming a US citizen and actually living here long term, you're just taking our money and doing something with it, then probably going off to another country in a few years, so

yes, you are a parasite that bleeds this country dry.

Old 05-08-2015, 05:37 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,189,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
The biggest reason for business destruction/closure is the lousy economy, which is largely the fault of Obama and the Democrats.
Uh, yeah. That little meltdown that happened during Bush's years and a Congress that vowed to defeat anything that Democratic President wanted- that didn't have anything to do with the lousy economy- which by the way is much better than when he took office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment