Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 07:09 AM

14 posts, read 14,075 times

Advertisements

Got job offer, accept, sign letter, etc. I've had a trip lined up for months that is a month after I start. Emailed if I should keep my reservations. No response from who has been a responsive person.

Bc of anxiety, first reaction is that they are turned off by email and will rescind offer. Because I didn't get a response, I'm considering emailing and saying never mind. Am I being irrational? Surely the worst they can do is say no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 07:53 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,736,756 times
Did you not discuss this with them during the interview/offer process in person?

No, the worst they can do is rescind the offer, which would not be unlikely if you waited this long to spring on them that you are taking time off (not knowing how much time you want).

Old 05-10-2015, 07:59 AM

29,532 posts, read 22,769,333 times
I don't know, that doesn't sound too good to me.

Agree with above, why didn't you discuss this during the job offer (NOT during the interview)?

When accepting job offer, that is when you negotiate things like pay, benefits, future vacations, etc.

I'm sure it has happened, but I've never heard of someone emailing a person at a new job that they had trip reservations after they signed offer letter and waiting to start job. That definitely sends the wrong message and impression.

And to offer to rescind it after no response, that makes it even worse.

Sorry to sound harsh but first impressions are everything.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:00 AM

19,905 posts, read 9,464,540 times
i just "had" to chime in and say that people should always discuss previous commitments (no matter what kind they are) before they ACCEPT an offer. Don't say anything before you are offered a job, but definitely at the time of the offer.

(And, btw, i have never experienced or heard of an offer being withdrawn because of a previous commitment unless someone would be away for a very long time or if it was an ongoing commitment.)

And as mar763 said, I would not be surprised if you lost the job after all -- or at the least, that you will start off on the wrong note.

(Sorry.)

Old 05-10-2015, 08:35 AM

14 posts, read 14,075 times
Thanks all. I emailed and told the employer that I no longer need the time off.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:47 AM

306 posts, read 432,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllNew2Me View Post
Got job offer, accept, sign letter, etc. I've had a trip lined up for months that is a month after I start. Emailed if I should keep my reservations. No response from who has been a responsive person.

Bc of anxiety, first reaction is that they are turned off by email and will rescind offer. Because I didn't get a response, I'm considering emailing and saying never mind. Am I being irrational? Surely the worst they can do is say no.
I'm surprised you didn't mention it before, but what's done is done. It's not your job until you're there working on day 1. I've had an offer given to me and then I was never allowed to start.

So many employers don't show courtesy. You could have said nothing, started the job and brought up the trip when it was time to leave, and it would be a better situation, because at least you'd have the pay for the first few weeks. Now, it looks like you've got somebody who wants to ignore your messages until you decide to look for something else. I'd keep looking and call them no more than twice to find out when you start. If they can't tell you relatively quickly, they're playing games.

This is what I hate about communication nowadays. It's as if you have to be mindful of what kinds of things you leave a record of yourself saying and say certain things face-to-face so you can read facial cues.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:58 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,048,105 times
Hey, what about freedom of speech?

Old 05-10-2015, 09:56 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,409,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllNew2Me View Post
Thanks all. I emailed and told the employer that I no longer need the time off.
Good decision.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:06 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,668,110 times
You don't say when you initially emailed them about the time off. If it was Friday, that's not the same as if it was Monday.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:17 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,787,303 times
That should have been a phone call, not an email, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment