Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 11:29 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times

Advertisements

When I worked in low wage jobs most came in sick because you could be fired by the manager for calling out, or one loss day of pay could mean living on the streets! Next time you go into McDonalds try to forget that someone is hacking and coughing all over the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 11:46 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
a company I worked for, once, decided that all employees would get an extra week off, that could either be used as sick leave or vacation and dropped the one week of dedicated sick leave. Guess what happened: absenteeism went up because sick people were coming to work and exposing others to their viruses?

Old 05-09-2015, 11:53 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
When I worked in low wage jobs most came in sick because you could be fired by the manager for calling out, or one loss day of pay could mean living on the streets!.
My low wage part time job hated it whenever you called out sick. You had to show up regardless.

One person shows up to work sick and we all got sick.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:58 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,241 times
If I were your coworker, I would also be unhappy. It's one thing to go to work sick, which, yes, many people have done, but when you are "coughing and sneezing all over the place" for a week, it's super likely it's going to get spread around- especially in a confined setting like that. And people cough and sneeze differently- meaning that some people are less concerned with containing their germs. I don't know what kind of coughing/sneezing you do, but it sounds like you decimated your whole section.

On the flip side, I do know some work is harder to skip than others, and I have gone to work sick before because missing a day when I'm not on my deathbed wouldn't have worked for anyone. But I take extreme efforts to isolate and contain as much as possible. To my knowledge, I haven't gotten anyone else sick at work (no one has missed work after I've been sick), but I am definitely on the train of "if you're sick and contagious, stay home if at all possible." Luckily, I'm not sick very often.

Old 05-09-2015, 01:55 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
The last real job I had gave us 5 sick and 5 disability days per year. To use a disability day you had to have a note or bill from a health care provider. And you could "bank" your leftover disability days for years to come. Saved that for maternity leave.

Old 05-09-2015, 05:21 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,975,313 times
I have a coworker who refuses to take his sick time when he's sick. He says he'd be bored at home. Twice I've been stuck between him and another guy, both sick, for a week. Once I got it, the other time I shook it off.

The kicker is that he gets paid sick time and I don't. Yet I will take time off when I'm sick.

I'd be pissed at you too

Old 05-09-2015, 06:04 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
The thing is had I taken a day on each day I was really bad, I'd be virtually out of time now.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:07 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
The thing is had I taken a day on each day I was really bad, I'd be virtually out of time now.

That really stinks but the bottom line is that you still should have stayed home so everyone else in the office did not get sick and be forced into being around you and exposed to your sick germs.

Is it really fair to them that you decide to come in sick and make everyone miserable?
If you get sick you stay home whether you have enough sick time to cover it or not.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:25 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
That really stinks but the bottom line is that you still should have stayed home so everyone else in the office did not get sick and be forced into being around you and exposed to your sick germs.

Is it really fair to them that you decide to come in sick and make everyone miserable?
If you get sick you stay home whether you have enough sick time to cover it or not.
I have a cold and probably a touch of bronchitis. I am not sick with anything deadly and get this about every spring. I have to make the remaining hours (three days and two hours) last the entire year. If I had taken off even one day, I'd have used around 60% of my hours while the year was barely a third over. The chances are I would have gotten sick some other time and been faced with the same dilemma.

I would have been fine to work from home but that is not an option in the corporate culture.

Old 05-09-2015, 06:36 PM

227 posts, read 195,236 times
The point is, OP, you're thinking about how you're being inconvenienced, and not your co-workers.

Now, you've most likely put them in a rough spot and undermined the productivity of your team.

You should have taken at least a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment