Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 06:19 PM

1,975 posts, read 1,940,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
Too many people today fail to recognize the value of that experience... and no, I'm a millennial, not some old man complaining about "kids these days!"

That's the main reason I object to the toic of this thread.. everyone should work a retail service level job. It givesyou the basis to understand the fundamentals of business. When people get sent home during a shift, you start to realize the basics of labor costs vs demand. If it's slow ,they send people home because it doesn't make sense to keep them around. That's Business 101.

I wish it was mandatory to have everyone work a menial retail job during high school. It would teach 2 very important lessons.

1) This is miserable. (I need to get educated so I can hopefully find a better job)
2a) I understand retail now, I get how this applies to [Insert random major]
2b) This is unrelated to what I'm studying... I wonder how people in my field make money(or if they even do)

OP, you had a bad employer. McDonald's as a chain wasn't your problem. But I'm really glad to hear you don't regret it and learned from it.

The real truth is... don't become a fast food "lifer" because it's not a career worth having unless you move up to management
people like me cannot deal with the fast paste nature of fast food and retail jobs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 06:55 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
You still don't get it do you? A 16 year old has no responsibilities and does not need to make $16 an hour since they have no bills to pay. So why in the world should someone that age make $15 an hour when they are not old enough to live on their own??
The only person who doesn't "get it" is you.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:13 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Amen, kokonutty. If a worker is worth $25 an hour at age 16, as evidenced by a corp paying him/her that, that is how it should be.

If a 45 year old with 4 kids is worth just minimum wage, that is the right wage for an employer to offer that employee.

The needs they may have based on their desired lifestyle are not a part of that equation.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:25 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freealex View Post
People who work at McDonald's should get paid more, no joke. I worked there a couple years ago and it was extremely stressful beyond belief. They were always short handed so it made it even worse. For example:

1. I would take a persons order
2. Run into the back and throw some meat on the grill (I also had to make sure I wasn't short on fries!)
3. Get on assembly and make the sandwhich (which sometimes could be like 8 sandwiches)
4. Get the meat off the grill if I didn't burn it already
5. Run up to front counter and bag the food
6. Give the food to the pissed off customer (don't forget the drink)
7. Rinse and repeat

This is how it sometimes was for me. So yeah, don't work at McDonald's
We're you the only person working there? I worked a summer at McDonald's and not once did I experience what you did.

Old 05-25-2015, 10:46 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Amen, kokonutty. If a worker is worth $25 an hour at age 16, as evidenced by a corp paying him/her that, that is how it should be.

If a 45 year old with 4 kids is worth just minimum wage, that is the right wage for an employer to offer that employee.

The needs they may have based on their desired lifestyle are not a part of that equation.
Well if a 16 year old is making $15 an hour he or she better be helping out with some bills or the groceries.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:30 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Most likely that help isn't needed. You won't find many 16 year olds making that whose parents are not making many, many times that.

Old 05-25-2015, 07:38 PM

102 posts, read 244,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
We're you the only person working there? I worked a summer at McDonald's and not once did I experience what you did.
No of course not. Many of the days they were just short handed.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:21 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,869,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freealex View Post
People who work at McDonald's should get paid more, no joke. I worked there a couple years ago and it was extremely stressful beyond belief. They were always short handed so it made it even worse. For example:

1. I would take a persons order
2. Run into the back and throw some meat on the grill (I also had to make sure I wasn't short on fries!)
3. Get on assembly and make the sandwhich (which sometimes could be like 8 sandwiches)
4. Get the meat off the grill if I didn't burn it already
5. Run up to front counter and bag the food
6. Give the food to the pissed off customer (don't forget the drink)
7. Rinse and repeat

This is how it sometimes was for me. So yeah, don't work at McDonald's
McDonald's was my first job and I didn't like it either, especially with the A-Hole manager working. But it was OK with the cute assistant manager that went to my high school and flirted a bit. Though it was better than being a caddie.

I lasted 6 months and never did a food service job ever again.

I went to college, got an accounting degree, worked at an accounting firm, and then interviewed for a position at McDonald's corporate HQ near Chicago.

They loved the fact that I was a former cook at McDonald's. I mentioned it casually in my first interview and everyone highlighted it when they introduced me to other employees and interviewers. They loved that I would know what the business was like at the ground level vs. the sterile corporate HQ, even though the job was a financial job.

I had a solid background for the position, but it gave me a leg up. So you never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment