Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 09:38 PM

102 posts, read 244,734 times

Advertisements

People who work at McDonald's should get paid more, no joke. I worked there a couple years ago and it was extremely stressful beyond belief. They were always short handed so it made it even worse. For example:

1. I would take a persons order
2. Run into the back and throw some meat on the grill (I also had to make sure I wasn't short on fries!)
3. Get on assembly and make the sandwhich (which sometimes could be like 8 sandwiches)
4. Get the meat off the grill if I didn't burn it already
5. Run up to front counter and bag the food
6. Give the food to the pissed off customer (don't forget the drink)
7. Rinse and repeat

This is how it sometimes was for me. So yeah, don't work at McDonald's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 09:45 PM

8,504 posts, read 6,923,465 times
McDonald's order takers may be a thing of the past soon. Already in Australia you order on a touch pad and swipe your credit card. What's next a robot that can cook your burger and fries?

Old 05-15-2015, 09:55 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,783,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freealex View Post
People who work at McDonald's should get paid more, no joke. I worked there a couple years ago and it was extremely stressful beyond belief. They were always short handed so it made it even worse. For example:

2. Run into the back and throw some meat on the grill (I also had to make sure I wasn't short on fries!)
3. Get on assembly and make the sandwhich (which sometimes could be like 8 sandwiches)
7. Rinse and repeat

Sounds like you didn't have a problem with "McDonald's" rather you had a short handed store(which was likely a staffing choice by the franchise owner.)

Look, I'm not about to say McD employee is the best job in the world(far from it) but your post isn't reflective of reality at most stores. I know, I worked at McD's for 4 years and was offerend a manager position that I passed up to take on a professional internship(which by the way I got partially due to the fact that I bonded with the hiring manger over having worked at McD's.)

Reality:

Even during the closing shift, there were at least 3-4 people there. One was in charge of closing the grill area, one closed the front counter area, one did the dishes, and if you were lucky, one cleaned the lobby(otherwise that was the job of the counter person). On top of that, there was a manager who closed out the accounting portion of the store for the night.

Even if the person in the back doing the dishes wasn't helping at all:

Step 1 would be done by the person up fron
Step 2-4 were done by the person closing the grill area
Step 5-6 were done by the person up front.

So the person up front took the order, bagged it, and took money/handed it out, the person in the back made the food.

That was all DURING THE CLOSING SHIFT. As in the point of the day when there was almost no one around. For your story to be true, that means that it's you and the manager(who must be counting drawers) who are the only people left in the restaurant. No other scenario leads to you doing everything from taking an order to making it to handing it out.

Either you have a franchisee who's making bad choices and only putting 2 people on while the store is open(in which case the owner is the problem) or you're exaggerating.

Again, I'm not saying McD employment is glorious... just saying your post is BS if you're claiming this is a problem with an entire chain.

Last edited by Jeo123; 05-15-2015 at 10:08 PM..

Old 05-15-2015, 10:39 PM

306 posts, read 432,015 times
Quote:

7. Rinse and repeat

That's not only McDonald's though. That goes for fast food jobs in general. My first job was at Panera. They decided to eliminate the dishwasher position a few months before I got hired (probably why they had they had to hire somebody again only a few months later) and combine it with the dining room cleaning position. I had to run back and forth between washing dishes, clearing and wiping down tables, sweeping the floors, tending to whatever was wrong in the bathrooms, taking out the garbage. The dishes would be piling up quick and they'd come talk to me every 5 minutes and tell me they needed me in the dining room. 95% of the time, for nearly two years, I did this. If I was really lucky, I'd get to ring up their order and make their latte, cappuccino, smoothie or whatever, and that's all I'd have to do for the shift.

Worked at Subway for two days. Only had been there two days and they were already talking about leaving me in there alone for entire shifts and having me close by myself and lock up.

Next, I was at a self-serve yogurt spot. I spent a few Saturday nights int here with as much as 40 people at one time, having to fix the machines if something went wrong, prep fruit and other toppings, run to the safe and get money, keep things clean, keep things under control (rowdy kids) and then close on my own.

I've come to realize management can make all the difference. Get a fair one instead of a lazy, political a$$hole and you've got yourself a job you can make last for a while.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
Sounds like you didn't have a problem with "McDonald's" rather you had a short handed store(which was likely a staffing choice by the franchise owner.)

Look, I'm not about to say McD employee is the best job in the world(far from it) but your post isn't reflective of reality at most stores. I know, I worked at McD's for 4 years and was offerend a manager position that I passed up to take on a professional internship(which by the way I got partially due to the fact that I bonded with the hiring manger over having worked at McD's.)

Reality:

Even during the closing shift, there were at least 3-4 people there. One was in charge of closing the grill area, one closed the front counter area, one did the dishes, and if you were lucky, one cleaned the lobby(otherwise that was the job of the counter person). On top of that, there was a manager who closed out the accounting portion of the store for the night.

Even if the person in the back doing the dishes wasn't helping at all:

Step 1 would be done by the person up fron
Step 2-4 were done by the person closing the grill area
Step 5-6 were done by the person up front.

So the person up front took the order, bagged it, and took money/handed it out, the person in the back made the food.

That was all DURING THE CLOSING SHIFT. As in the point of the day when there was almost no one around. For your story to be true, that means that it's you and the manager(who must be counting drawers) who are the only people left in the restaurant. No other scenario leads to you doing everything from taking an order to making it to handing it out.

Either you have a franchisee who's making bad choices and only putting 2 people on while the store is open(in which case the owner is the problem) or you're exaggerating.

Again, I'm not saying McD employment is glorious... just saying your post is BS if you're claiming this is a problem with an entire chain.
Yeah I agree that not all McDonalds are like this. There was a big shortage issue. Still though I didn't like the job at all I was just desperate at the time. I don't regret it at all though because it got me some much needed work experience. You definitely learn a lot working there.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:58 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,783,090 times
Quote:
Yeah I agree that not all McDonalds are like this. There was a big shortage issue. Still though I didn't like the job at all I was just desperate at the time. I don't regret it at all though because it got me some much needed work experience. You definitely learn a lot working there.
Too many people today fail to recognize the value of that experience... and no, I'm a millennial, not some old man complaining about "kids these days!"

That's the main reason I object to the toic of this thread.. everyone should work a retail service level job. It givesyou the basis to understand the fundamentals of business. When people get sent home during a shift, you start to realize the basics of labor costs vs demand. If it's slow ,they send people home because it doesn't make sense to keep them around. That's Business 101.

I wish it was mandatory to have everyone work a menial retail job during high school. It would teach 2 very important lessons.

1) This is miserable. (I need to get educated so I can hopefully find a better job)
2a) I understand retail now, I get how this applies to [Insert random major]
2b) This is unrelated to what I'm studying... I wonder how people in my field make money(or if they even do)

OP, you had a bad employer. McDonald's as a chain wasn't your problem. But I'm really glad to hear you don't regret it and learned from it.

The real truth is... don't become a fast food "lifer" because it's not a career worth having unless you move up to management

Old 05-16-2015, 05:39 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,933,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeo123 View Post
Too many people today fail to recognize the value of that experience... and no, I'm a millennial, not some old man complaining about "kids these days!"

That's the main reason I object to the toic of this thread.. everyone should work a retail service level job. It givesyou the basis to understand the fundamentals of business. When people get sent home during a shift, you start to realize the basics of labor costs vs demand. If it's slow ,they send people home because it doesn't make sense to keep them around. That's Business 101.

I wish it was mandatory to have everyone work a menial retail job during high school. It would teach 2 very important lessons.

1) This is miserable. (I need to get educated so I can hopefully find a better job)
2a) I understand retail now, I get how this applies to [Insert random major]
2b) This is unrelated to what I'm studying... I wonder how people in my field make money(or if they even do)

OP, you had a bad employer. McDonald's as a chain wasn't your problem. But I'm really glad to hear you don't regret it and learned from it.

The real truth is... don't become a fast food "lifer" because it's not a career worth having unless you move up to management
I was actually happier working a menial retail job compared to when I worked in corporate America. In menial job you punch in, do what you are told, punch out, go home. A corporate job often becomes your entire life.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:12 AM

Many times at McDonald's I wouldn't even get a break. You're supposed to get a lunch if you work a certain amount of hours but there was many times when we were so busy we couldn't even leave our place. Sometimes they would accommodate this by telling us that they would buy us a free meal at the end of the day, so at least there was that.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:35 PM

1,406 posts, read 1,184,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic82 View Post
...I've come to realize management can make all the difference. Get a fair one instead of a lazy, political a$$hole and you've got yourself a job you can make last for a while.
This translates to most any work environment...

Old 05-16-2015, 01:53 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,045,023 times
Quote:
Yeah I agree that not all McDonalds are like this... I don't regret it at all though because it got me some much needed work experience. You definitely learn a lot working there.
Sounds like you need to change your post title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment