Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 07:20 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,496,972 times

Advertisements

A topic a little off the beaten path, but this really bugs me and I need to vent.

I currently work at a manufacturing plant with about 80 employees of all different disciplines. We have three bathrooms on site (single stall and urinal per each bathroom)The bathrooms are disgusting... We have a cleaning company come three times a week, and they do a horrific job. (Really I don't see why we don't have a on-site janitor/cleaner or at least nightly cleaning. Long story short, the bathrooms are like something out of a horror story. Pee everywhere, always out of paper towels, poop remnants left in the toilet or scattered on the bowl, pee on the toilets (as they just couldn't pee in the urinal????), garbage cans overflowing, just plain nasty... I have never seen something so disgusting at any company I've worked for previously or visited. In fact, most company bathrooms I've used have always been pristine. My current job's bathroom looks like hell...

What do I do here??? Our operations manager is in charge of it and people have been complaining to him for over a year now about the state of the bathrooms. He says he will fix it but he is a pushover and really doesn't do anything about it. I'm tempted to start scrubbing the bathrooms myself! Anyone deal with disgusting work toilets? How do you handle it??!

EDIT: This is a plant with fairly professional level employees as well, think Engineers, Managers, Finance/Accounting, HR, Marketing, Analysts, etc. Just appalling to me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 07:22 PM

125 posts, read 128,014 times
Call the health department!!!

Old 05-13-2015, 08:59 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
Just be glad there aren't turds on the floor or smeared on the walls.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:11 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,370,018 times
This speaks to employee's behaviour and disregard for fellow employee's....Take a lot of pictures..Turn it into Management..and suggest you may feel obliged to report to public Health Authority.....That usually gets immediate response..and IF you get flak for it..Keep record of all correspondence..report it to public heath and go after management..

I agree tho..often employee's are like animals..don't give a @#$% about anyone...but Management not only Should care..but since you pointed it out..THEY CANNOT claim ignorance or NO complaints...LOL Watch how quick they respond ...In the meantime..take mental/picture notes post your advising them of the ISSUE!!

It's simply a :PUBLIC HEATH ISSUE..no more no less..It's not in their best interest to have such a complaint logged against them regardless of their size!!

Good luck

Old 05-13-2015, 09:59 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,496,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
This speaks to employee's behaviour and disregard for fellow employee's....Take a lot of pictures..Turn it into Management..and suggest you may feel obliged to report to public Health Authority.....That usually gets immediate response..and IF you get flak for it..Keep record of all correspondence..report it to public heath and go after management..

I agree tho..often employee's are like animals..don't give a @#$% about anyone...but Management not only Should care..but since you pointed it out..THEY CANNOT claim ignorance or NO complaints...LOL Watch how quick they respond ...In the meantime..take mental/picture notes post your advising them of the ISSUE!!

It's simply a :PUBLIC HEATH ISSUE..no more no less..It's not in their best interest to have such a complaint logged against them regardless of their size!!

Good luck
It's mostly the plant/production workers causing the mess. We are a 24 hour plant and a lot of the night shift run amuck and use the bathroom that is supposed to be reserved for office employees. (The bathroom for production workers is just ungodly... something worse than hell...) It doesn't help our bathrooms and toilets are only cleaned twice during the week (and once on weekends) and most times the cleaning company just pours cleaner in the toilet and and doesn't even scrub it!!! I actually have taken some pictures, but I'm fairly new at a company which is very old school and traditional. Not a good place place to be stepping on people's toes or doing other people's jobs... They take it the wrong way... All we can do is voice our concerns, and hope something happens, but so far no luck...

Old 05-13-2015, 10:11 PM

29,795 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Very common problem. Where I work, it's the same situation, minus the actual crap. Mostly due to workers dumping mop buckets, and spilling greasy water along the way. Workers usually have dirty hands, which means everything they touch becomes filthy. Production workers are paid to make parts, not clean bathrooms. I wouldn't expect them to take care of the problem, because it's not their problem. It's the cleaning companies issue to take care of. It would be nice if workers took better care of things. Good luck with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post

Good luck
It speaks volumes regarding how little they think of their workers. If this is a constant problem, it should be addressed up front. Employees are not animals. And if the cleaning company is doing an inadequate job, than better service should be demanded.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:12 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
I drive a cab. Bathrooms at taxi pools can be pretty nasty. Lots of different cultures using it. Just imagine.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:43 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
People do things in public bathrooms that they would never do in their own home. I've never understood it myself. You sometimes see messes that look like someone had to go out of their way to make it. Maybe it's similar to the disgusting behavior you see from people on the internet. Anonymity brings out the animal in people.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:39 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
I always wondered how crap ends up on the walls. I've seen this at a few different places I've worked and/or visited.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:40 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,445 times
The state of some work place rest rooms speak volumes about the type of people that work there. In this situation, with so many people using the toilets, reckless and disgusting behavior piled upon reckless disgusting behavior creates this subhuman type toilet scenario.

Not only should mgmt. require daily professional cleaning, but employees themselves must be informed that they are responsible for not trashing a public toilet that they all have to use.

People are disgusting animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment