Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 08:09 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times

Advertisements

I agree with this list. While I am sure quite a few out there have no qualms about discussing these things at work, I never talk about these sort of things. Maybe in terms of current events I have no problems discussing what happened, but I never discuss my political views and all. I never discuss salary either (which someone on this forum thought nothing wrong about that). I like to keep to myself and just engage in harmless banter about sports or movies and things of that sort.

5 Things to Never Reveal About Yourself at Work - US News

Quote:
When you spend more hours with your colleagues than with your family, it may seem natural that you'll get to know each other. But before you start divulging details about your personal life in an effort to connect with co-workers, beware. There's a fine line between appropriate sharing and creating confidences that might kill your career.

Whether you're a new grad preparing to start your first job or a seasoned industry veteran, the rules are the same when it comes to "TMI" in the workplace. Here are five types of information to never with co-workers:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 08:19 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
That is a tough list. Your coworkers can become your family, the only people that can understand work frustration!

I do agree with

1) salary
2) relationship
3) Controversial opinions

Old 05-18-2015, 08:35 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Your coworkers can become your family, the only people that can understand work frustration!
Bad advice. Sharing frustrations with your work "family" (yeah right!) will get you backstrabbed and possibly in the layoff queue.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:43 PM

1,136 posts, read 924,161 times
Quote:
That is a tough list. Your coworkers can become your family, the only people that can understand work frustration!

I do agree with

1) salary
2) relationship
I just learned that for the vast majority of people this holds true. Looking back on my work life there are maybe 5 people in total that i would share any of those things with. I just lost my job for violating rule 1. The person that got me fired did not mean to or knew she got me fired. She even agreed that I was being treated differently. I think I even got someone fired accidentally. No one knew the owner was going to get in her feelings and fire people since her business decisions were negatively affecting peoples paychecks so drastically. If I could go back in time I would keep my mouth shut and start applying to new jobs and quit abruptly. In my industry they terminate you as soon as they find out you are looking for new employment or have new employment so there is no such thing as two weeks notice unless you are very new.

Last edited by keepingquiet; 05-18-2015 at 08:51 PM..

Old 05-18-2015, 08:57 PM

70 posts, read 84,381 times
thats all good advice imo. i don't share much of anything at my new job about my personal life or opinions. i just walk in and the supervisor says "how 'ya doing" and i say 'great! ready to go to work.' then i get ready to work

i chat a bit, ask coworkers how they are doing, ask how the district has been that day, typical stuff. if assigned to patrol the streets with someone (its district safety / security) i stick to small talk, work related things, and just plain silence. time goes fast enough for those couple of hours

last i worked a fellow employee shared some off the cuff things about how he used to drink and a couple other unseemly things. he is a good worker and i respect him, but a supervisor was in the room. i thought it not the best info to toss about so lightly. and i thought "maybe not the best hire? we'll see." but just in the back of my mind. might not be the best thing for superiors to have in the back of theirs, however

Old 05-18-2015, 09:03 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
Good idea about the TMI.

I don't even tell my co-workers what car I drive... if they see it in the lot, it is unavoidable. People make assumptions if you drive a certain make of car even.

They just know I have children and am married. I don't even keep pictures on my desk at work. Pretty much all personal items are out of sight too.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:12 PM

5,583 posts, read 6,510,564 times
Quote:

I do agree with

1) salary
2) relationship
Please don't be so naive. There is an old saying "all's fair in love and war", this is used in all types of situations, including work environments. Co-workers are NOT family, they work with you during your shift, complain about you behind your back as well as others, tattle to the boss then go home to their own families and problems.

I understand the need, though, to have a friend to commiserate with about the job and/or anything having to do with the job. I would try to find ONE coworker who I felt good about, trusted, and befriended. Then we would "vent" ONLY to each other, verbally "back in the day". And that is how I advise anyone to do it in today's environment. Put NOTHING in writing, NOTHING.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:57 PM

306 posts, read 431,553 times
I just go by not saying anything that could make someone jealous or anything that can be used against me.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:50 AM

322 posts, read 286,493 times
Politics is a no no

Old 05-19-2015, 03:37 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
One thing to be thought a fool
Another to open
Your mouth and remove all doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment