Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2015, 10:39 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
Even if the fast food workers wage goes up to $15 an hour, the companies will just fire half (or more) of it's workforce. These protesters can't see even an inch into the future.
Exactly, do these fast workers really believe that they will get 40 hours if the minimum wage was increased to $15.00?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 10:41 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,167,683 times
It's easy to tell when minimum wages are too low: if a full-time worker qualifies for EBT or other federal poverty assistance then wages are too low. This is why I support a $15 min federal minimum wage, it would reduce federal spending on EBT, earned income credit, etc. It's a back door labor subsidy to WalMart, Target, McD's, etc. I would gladly pay an extra dollar for a hamburger to keep the worker off of federal assistance.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:47 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
It's easy to tell when minimum wages are too low: if a full-time worker qualifies for EBT or other federal poverty assistance then wages are too low. This is why I support a $15 min federal minimum wage, it would reduce federal spending on EBT, earned income credit, etc. It's a back door labor subsidy to WalMart, Target, McD's, etc. I would gladly pay an extra dollar for a hamburger to keep the worker off of federal assistance.
Someone making $15 an hour with 2 or 3 kids will not keep them off federal assistance the way prices are today.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:50 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,427,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
If I was a business owner that hired low wage employees and was told that I would need to increase their pay by a large margin I would be looking to find ways to get rid of the employees. A machine can take an order as well as a person can. I only have to buy the machine once and maintain it.
This is exactly the issue. IF you were a business owner, you would do something that you as an employee would hate. We are trained to believe that we NEED to be paid less in order for businesses to continue as normal. Businesses are not broke, theyre doing quite well. In fact theyre doing extremely well even while refusing to increase workers pay....

What Id like to see is a tax system that incentives employers to pay their employees well. For example, if you pay your employees a base of 3x the minimum wage, your EFFECTIVE corporate tax rate is 20%. If you pay 4x the minimum wage, your rate is 15%, etc....

Old 05-26-2015, 11:25 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
What would happen if the Federal Reserve raised interest rates 5-7%?

Old 05-26-2015, 11:27 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,801,961 times
Stagflation here we come!

Without lowering the costs of other inputs, all you are insuring is that the prices of goods and services go up.

And surprise, surprise, suprise, the "living wage" is soon no longer that!

To paraphrase Kipling's poem:
"And so the "progressive" leftists,
Promised abundance for all,
By taking from selected Peter,
To give to collective Paul,
And though we had more and more money,
Less and less that our money would buy,
And the free market economists shook their heads and said
"if you don't work you die...."

Old 05-26-2015, 11:38 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
The problem is that the cost of living is out of scale and out of control.

The cost of living risen faster than salaries of ordinary people to the point that social assistances are paying almost as much as someone working in an entry position. A lot of people can't keep up with inflation. When gas prices spike, it hurts many low income folks. Businesses have been successful at pushing costs down to the consumers but they also have the ability to extract profits at will.

Those at the top of the food chain is able to pass their costs to those below and the government at some point will be forced to step in at some point to keep the peace or the pitchforks will be out in full force one day.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:43 AM

733 posts, read 853,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplanet321 View Post
Except thats not todays reality. I don't care what its "intentions" were, thats not how it is today.
Exactly.

And minimum wage jobs were NOT there in the past just for teens and beginners. Before minimum wage was established, people worked for even less. People - adults with families, adults on their own - worked the miserable jobs for a pittance. HUNGER, lack of medical care, lack of dental care - all of that was there. Now, few heard about these people. Fewer cared about these populations, barely making it.

People need to review American history.

Old 05-26-2015, 11:45 AM

733 posts, read 853,758 times
Quote:
... and watch your customer traffic fall like a rock. Many people enjoy interfacing with another human being when doing business. If there was a workerless restaurant where robots took orders, prepared food and served you, it would be a boring and lifeless experience. No thanks.
Yes!

Automats were a novelty; a few exist. You need people to make a restaurant work!

Old 05-26-2015, 12:18 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Quote:
I agree. McDonalds for me is a very occasional treat so the slight increase would not affect me. There are people, however who subsist solely on fast food and restaurant meals. I can see them getting the hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment