Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 02:28 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,669,806 times

Advertisements

For whatever reason, what you are offering isn't enough to either make them come or finish the job. It says nothing about them being lazy. It's just capitalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 02:52 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
I already paid $80 for the guy yesterday, who got angry and left while I was away. He was there for 2 hours when I left, promised to stay 2 more (I dont know maybe he did stay 1-2 hours after). Now another one is doing it (one of those who didnt show up earlier), might finish soon then I will pay $100. I also spent like 3 hours total. Thats $180 so far and some of my time as well.

The problem is during the week I have to be away for work. There is some urgent stuff going on in the office so I cannot take a day off. This stuff should not sit there until next weekend.

The bolded statement should be a clue that the work is harder than anticipated and my indication that I wasn't offering enough would be when people walk off a job.

But something doesn't add up here.... let's assume it really would only take the half day you assumed it would.... Guy A worked for 2 hours (maybe 4), and you worked for 3 hours. That's over a half day's work done and someone still needs to finish it. This new person is going to be paid $100 (100/20) so he has to work an additional 5 hours? That's a total of 10 hours (14 if the first guy really worked 4)

Have you realized that it's a bit more laborious than you initially thought?

Old 06-02-2015, 03:01 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,959,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I've had similar problems. I try to get a contractor out to replace some rotten wood on my house and 3/4 don't show the rest quote me $500 for 20 minutes of work. I was looking for a contractor to blow some insulation into my attic last winter and couldn't get anyone to show up so went off to Home Depot and rented the equipment and did it myself for a little under $200. If you want something done right (and at a fair price)....

Probably a polite way of saying.. It's not worth their time.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:51 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Quote:
I already paid $80 for the guy yesterday, who got angry and left while I was away. He was there for 2 hours when I left, promised to stay 2 more (I dont know maybe he did stay 1-2 hours after). Now another one is doing it (one of those who didnt show up earlier), might finish soon then I will pay $100. I also spent like 3 hours total. Thats $180 so far and some of my time as well.
so you are out $180 and only half done? Doesn't the original "qoute" for $300 seem about right? Maybe if you just paid up it would be done by now?

Old 06-02-2015, 04:13 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,188 times
Quote:
I got 5 yards of dirt delivered on my driveway.
I spent 2 days in trying to get some day laborer to shovel it into a wheelbarrow and move it into my backyard.
2 people promised but never showed up and never called and never answered my phone calls anymore.
One showed up but did part the job then suddenly had to go to another job. For all of these I offered $20/h.
I went to HD parking lot, there was only one illegal immigrant. When I mentioned $15/h he looked me like I have insulted his mother (the gossip says they work for $8-10/h), he said they don't do hourly rate but he wanted to charge $300 for the complete job. The job should be 5-8hours for one man.
So, no one is fancy doing some hard labor, and only trying to rip people off and not completing the job?
How the hell do I get anyone to do some FF labor DONE at all?
here in Anaheim, there is no haggling of the wage/hr. just go to HD, tell how many warm bodies you need and off you go with them. just pay them after they finish the work, min $20/warm bodies just to haul furnitures

Old 06-02-2015, 04:50 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,775,842 times
The guy who delivered the dirt told me he will send a worker for $150 and he will do it in about 6 hours. His worker never showed up. Actually I think he delivered a lot more dirt than we agreed, and as I never dealt with construction I didn't realize it and I was easy to screw over. Probably that is why he never sent the worker, and why it is taking so long. The guy who left yesterday seemed to have left angrily, work was too hard. But that is no reason throw the tools wherever and not show up later. Just send a sms with "sorry I cannot do it, find someone else" and put the tools back nicely.
Around 80% done now.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:59 PM

245 posts, read 382,388 times
Quote:
The guy who delivered the dirt told me he will send a worker for $150 and he will do it in about 6 hours. His worker never showed up. Actually I think he delivered a lot more dirt than we agreed, and as I never dealt with construction I didn't realize it and I was easy to screw over. Probably that is why he never sent the worker, and why it is taking so long. The guy who left yesterday seemed to have left angrily, work was too hard. But that is no reason throw the tools wherever and not show up later. Just send a sms with "sorry I cannot do it, find someone else" and put the tools back nicely.
Around 80% done now.
did you offer your workers any refreshments?

Old 06-02-2015, 05:07 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,775,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irco View Post
did you offer your workers any refreshments?
I offered bottled water, snacks, lunch.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:24 PM

89 posts, read 146,108 times
It’s a free market system we live in. What you think things should cost is only half the equation. What someone wants is the other half.

How much would you charge someone to do that work? Would you do it for $100?

It’s far simpler than you make it out to be, as many have said; do the work yourself or pay someone what they want to do it. It’s weird that you think there’s something else due you.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:05 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,145 times
Day labourers follow what I've especially seen in all the construction industry: An overselling of their abilities.\
You're a one off: they're never going to see you again, but also don't know what they're walking into, so they ask the moon, and sometimes get it. Those on drugs can't do much more than three hours anyway, so they "need to leave for another job". Right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment