Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2015, 03:13 PM

948 posts, read 1,140,753 times

Advertisements

Ok I am in a dilemma. I took this new job recently and turned out I shouldn't have accepted it since it would hurt my career in the long run. Without going over the details, based on my skill set , these guys don't even require half of it and I am pretty much sitting there all day doing very very basic stuff which doesn't require my skills at all. So now I am losing my skillset since I no longer use it on a daily basis and I am concerned it would affect my next job. I am looking for other positions, but not quite sure how to bring it up to my boss when I leave. I don't want to burn any bridges talking down on what they do. Any tips?

I know I should have thought about it before accepting the offer, but never thought it would be this bad. I made some suggestions on how to improve stuff at work and all were staring at me like deer in headlights.no idea what I was talking about whatsoever technology wise.

Last edited by nitynity; 06-02-2015 at 03:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 04:39 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
Ok I am in a dilemma. I took this new job recently and turned out I shouldn't have accepted it since it would hurt my career in the long run. Without going over the details, based on my skill set , these guys don't even require half of it and I am pretty much sitting there all day doing very very basic stuff which doesn't require my skills at all. So now I am losing my skillset since I no longer use it on a daily basis and I am concerned it would affect my next job. I am looking for other positions, but not quite sure how to bring it up to my boss when I leave. I don't want to burn any bridges talking down on what they do. Any tips?

I know I should have thought about it before accepting the offer, but never thought it would be this bad. I made some suggestions on how to improve stuff at work and all were staring at me like deer in headlights.no idea what I was talking about whatsoever technology wise.
It depends on how far into your career you are but if you have a good bit of experience, there is no shame in applying for other jobs ASAP. Most people end up with one short-stint job on their resume at some point with the reason being 1) job not as described or 2) company not a good fit/not what you expected based on interviews.

I wouldn't waste two seconds thinking about what to tell your current boss when you leave - "I've accepted another position that is a better fit for my skills and experience. Here's my two weeks notice". Don't answer any other questions or provide more info.

I'd spend a ton of time reflecting on what you missed in the interview process that could have prevented you from accepting your current job. Do you wish you would have asked different questions? Met with more internal people? Figuring that out is KEY so you don't make the same mistake again. You're also going to have to answer the question of why you're interviewing so soon in your job search so come up with a damn good answer that doesn't throw your current company under the bus....never know who knows who!

Old 06-02-2015, 05:42 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,683 times
Exactly what TurtleCreek said. Only thing I would add is to not dwell on it once you decide to leave. Because that energy will carry over into your next job and impact your confidence/performance levels. So, once you shut that door, lock it and throw away the key.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
Exactly what TurtleCreek said. Only thing I would add is to not dwell on it once you decide to leave. Because that energy will carry over into your next job and impact your confidence/performance levels. So, once you shut that door, lock it and throw away the key.
Yup! Seriously, almost anyone who had been in the workforce for 15-20 years has one "oops" job on their resume. Minr was 10 years ago so I don't even have it on my resume anymore, just a 3 month gap between jobs. Honestly, adter I got my next job I've NEVER ever been asked about the 3 month gap. I doubt anyone has ever noticed it. I certainly wouldn't lie if asked, but I choose not to hilight a time when I made a bad decision because I missed key culture clues in the interview process

Old 06-02-2015, 07:32 PM

948 posts, read 1,140,753 times
Thank you very much TurtleCreek80 and lovely40. Really appreciate the tips. I already decided to leave this place. Only concern is can I just give a week's notice since I am not really doing anything important neither helpful to my resume at all. Literally I don't have a single bullet to put on my resume that I didn't already knew before starting here. Also I didn't take any break before I started this job since they wanted me start ASAP for some reason. Another mistake.so I could really use some vacation time since it would be atleast 6 months if I start somewhere else.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
Thank you very much TurtleCreek80 and lovely40. Really appreciate the tips. I already decided to leave this place. Only concern is can I just give a week's notice since I am not really doing anything important neither helpful to my resume at all. Literally I don't have a single bullet to put on my resume that I didn't already knew before starting here. Also I didn't take any break before I started this job since they wanted me start ASAP for some reason. Another mistake.so I could really use some vacation time since it would be atleast 6 months if I start somewhere else.
I would really try to give 2 weeks notice and just negotiate an extra week or two between your next job and this one. Depending on your industry, if you say you're going to a competitor, they may just let you give notice & leave. But DO give 2 weeks notice- it is the one thing you can do to leave on a good note and not burn bridges & especially important if you're staying in the same industry.

Again, depending on your experience, have some self respect and politely but firmly request a start date that is 3+ weeks away so you can give notice + take vacation time. Every company wants people to start ASAP but good negotiators realize that once an offer is extended but before you accept it is the time when you will have the most power/leverage EVER with your new company; they've declared they want/need you but they don't know for 100% sure that you'll accept. It's your one chance to negotiate start date, a higher salary/ better benefits, pre-negotiate vacation time (say you already have something booked before you'd actually accrue any). Most companies are accommodating on some level for management-type positions. I see in your post you've already assumed that you won't have vacation time for at least 6 months. Don't be afraid to ask! Be nice about it but you don't have to be a doormat either.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:22 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,114,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Yup! Seriously, almost anyone who had been in the workforce for 15-20 years has one "oops" job on their resume. Minr was 10 years ago so I don't even have it on my resume anymore, just a 3 month gap between jobs. Honestly, adter I got my next job I've NEVER ever been asked about the 3 month gap. I doubt anyone has ever noticed it. I certainly wouldn't lie if asked, but I choose not to hilight a time when I made a bad decision because I missed key culture clues in the interview process
Agreed. I have almost the exact same scenario in my background as well and it has never been an issue. Sometimes it just isn't the right fit.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:59 AM

12 posts, read 14,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I would really try to give 2 weeks notice and just negotiate an extra week or two between your next job and this one. Depending on your industry, if you say you're going to a competitor, they may just let you give notice & leave. But DO give 2 weeks notice- it is the one thing you can do to leave on a good note and not burn bridges & especially important if you're staying in the same industry.

Again, depending on your experience, have some self respect and politely but firmly request a start date that is 3+ weeks away so you can give notice + take vacation time. Every company wants people to start ASAP but good negotiators realize that once an offer is extended but before you accept it is the time when you will have the most power/leverage EVER with your new company; they've declared they want/need you but they don't know for 100% sure that you'll accept. It's your one chance to negotiate start date, a higher salary/ better benefits, pre-negotiate vacation time (say you already have something booked before you'd actually accrue any). Most companies are accommodating on some level for management-type positions. I see in your post you've already assumed that you won't have vacation time for at least 6 months. Don't be afraid to ask! Be nice about it but you don't have to be a doormat either.
100% agree with what TC said. I was in management for about 7 years and made hiring decisions. Leave your currently employer on a good note. You have all the leverage if/when an offer is made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
View detailed profiles of: