Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 09:41 AM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times

Advertisements

I see a lot on C-D and other forums about people with English PhDs etc... being baristas at Starbucks.

I'm wondering if there is any data to actually prove that.

Lately I've been chatting with the Starbucks staff whenever I go to different locations. I've now done this at about a dozen locations around me and when I travel so not a big sample size... however...

The only people that have a degree (or admit to it) are the store managers for the most part. A Starbucks store manager makes in the 45-60K range in my area, so that's an acceptable position for a college graduate. There were a few baristas who were recent graduates who said they were in the process of looking for a different job. I don't know if they found jobs - but of that minority most of them did move on.

The VAST majority of the baristas told me they were in college or had plans to start college at some point relatively soon.

No one ever said they had a master's or higher and quite frankly most were too young to have accomplished that. The average age of the baristas I've talked to is definitely in the mid 20s, probably 27-28 at the highest except the managers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 09:44 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
When I worked in these kinds of jobs usually the employees were going to school with that one job or had a second job besides that. In my experience the ones who got stuck there were the people who got an associates and had no plans to go back for a bachelors. Often these were degrees in such things like psychology.

I don't live in a major city, which I am pretty sure the masters holder working at Starbucks would be a little more common.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:47 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
myth to me, they want to work there so it's their choice... how are they underemployed if they have a job? just not liking it doesnt mean they are underemployed. if they only get 15hrs a week, that might be under employed but they can find another 15 hours if they wanted too... again they choose to not work more hours for things like family or school. you dont call people working 50+ hours over employed do you? like if they only worked 40, they would hire a second person too?

Old 06-07-2015, 09:52 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I personally don't know a barista that fits this bill, but I was in a similar situation of being overeducated and underemployed. Like s1alker said, this is most likely to happen in small towns without much opportunity.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:18 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
myth to me, they want to work there so it's their choice... how are they underemployed?
If they have the ability to get a degree at a reputable institution then they are capable of much more (with proper training) than serving cofee or other such low skill/low wage jobs. That is underemployment wasted human potential.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:21 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
If they have the ability to get a degree at a reputable institution then they are capable of much more (with proper training) than serving cofee or other such low skill/low wage jobs. That is underemployment wasted human potential.
So everyone that can throw a ball but not an athlete is under employed? When did employment status start to get measured by potential? Most people start out at the low rungs, degree or not...

Old 06-07-2015, 10:30 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
So everyone that can throw a ball but not an athlete is under employed? When did employment status start to get measured by potential? Most people start out at the low rungs, degree or not...
and since American companies don't believe in training many are stuck at the bottom rung or can't even get on the ladder.

As for the baseball analogy few people are able to throw the ball with enough skill to add value to a professional team but many people are capable of performing functions with enough skill to add value to a company.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:36 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I personally don't know a barista that fits this bill, but I was in a similar situation of being overeducated and underemployed. Like s1alker said, this is most likely to happen in small towns without much opportunity.
When you have 50,000 people coming to places like NYC or LA and there are 1,000 jobs they have the education for ... you have 49,000 people waiting tables part time because it is easier for the restaurant or whatever to schedule.

The Barista thing is just an example.

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
Starbucks is actually a decent company to work for. Even at the lowest end in a coffee shop, how is serving coffee any different than pushing papers and managing social media accounts? We're ALL monkeys you know.

3,887 posts, read 5,747,986 times
I do know a couple of Starbucks baristas that have bacherlors and 1 with a masters degree that work in the Fort Collins area, although it is hard for me to feel bad for them as all 3 have told me that they had jobs in their career fields offered to them. However 1 is married and her husband has a good job in the area, and the other 2 have no interest in leaving Fort Collins believing that they will land their dream job in the area tomorrow, or next week, or soon at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment