Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 08:27 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,480,029 times

Advertisements

Still no meeting scheduled and I have been to HR twice. I have started applying for jobs (I'm starting with remote jobs). I have had two HR interviews, one with a hiring manager, another one with a hiring manager this week and a job I'm working on through a connection. A remote job would be ideal since I won't have to change my commute and we can move as soon as our situation comes together. At least there is demand for what I'm doing.

Still don't understand my boss not meeting with me. My HR says that she has talked to him, have him until June 30th and that he's working on it. I'm just doing my job and leaving on time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 09:00 AM

I thought I would post an update. I approached my boss unofficially last week because an issue came up and he agreed to a revision of my job description and to a raise. We talked about some numbers, he said he wasn't sure what he would be able to do.

Had my review today. Excellent on everything, nothing really negative. Agreed to my new job responsibilities. When talk came of increase, he said that it's not part of the review process, that HR and CEO have already approved everything for everyone and it should be effective next pay period. I said OK, how come they haven't told us how much, when etc. He says they will?!?! I said will it be retroactive to beginning of the year, end of the review period etc. He said no.

Answers my questions I guess. I'm feeling really ticked off right now, but at least I have my answers. No more OT, learning everything I can and getting out. It's frustrating because I put in a lot of time on my project and learning the capabilities of the system mostly on my own time and seems like they don't care. I'm feeling defeated, honestly, oh and used.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:10 AM

38 posts, read 30,046 times
OP, your company has no incentive to give you more money. You're already doing the job, and I highly doubt you'd leave if they didn't give you more money.

They will call your bluff. Com'on now. You said yourself your boss hasn't given you a review in 2 years cause he's slow, or doesn't care or lazy. The fact they aren't giving you a number or timeline, speaks a lot of what they think of you.

You failed in that you didn't negotiate when you first got the job to a better salary, whether you were scared to lose the job or not.

It's too late now. Your best course of action is to leave, find a new job, negotiate a real salary that you will be happy with. Done and done.

There is no worse feeling than being underpaid. But a majority of people dont have the foresight to do something about it. As a manager myself, something I always tell people, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS make sure you are the highest paid in your position from the start. Nothing worst than finding out later some new guy doing the same job is getting paid more, or knowing that when you're asked to do more and more, your pay technically gets cut cause you do more work for the same pay.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleT23 View Post
OP, your company has no incentive to give you more money. You're already doing the job, and I highly doubt you'd leave if they didn't give you more money.

They will call your bluff. Com'on now. You said yourself your boss hasn't given you a review in 2 years cause he's slow, or doesn't care or lazy. The fact they aren't giving you a number or timeline, speaks a lot of what they think of you.

You failed in that you didn't negotiate when you first got the job to a better salary, whether you were scared to lose the job or not.

It's too late now. Your best course of action is to leave, find a new job, negotiate a real salary that you will be happy with. Done and done.
I don't exactly agree with you. When I got this job it was for a specific job description with a specific skill set. Through my time here, I have acquired a different skill set that based on my research is worth more. I was asking to have my duties re-evaluated and my salary adjusted. My duties were re-evaluated (so now I am doing this new job) but my salary is not going to be adjusted. I have since then sent out applications and am getting a pretty good response. I am currently in the running for two jobs, one of which is a 16% increase and the other one would be a 21% increase and I only have a year experience. As my experience grows in this new functionality, I should have more opportunities.

In reality, I was not going to leave when I initially posted this because we are looking to move as soon as the situation allows. However, I have been applying only to remote jobs and getting a good response, so if one of those pans out and the increase is good enough, I'm gone. I should hear about the first one this week.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:36 AM

6,449 posts, read 9,809,163 times
Well Kate at least you have a new skillset to put on your resume, they can't take that away from you.

If you do leave and they have to hire someone to replace your skillset then they will wish they had given you a better response!

Old 07-09-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Well Kate at least you have a new skillset to put on your resume, they can't take that away from you.

If you do leave and they have to hire someone to replace your skillset then they will wish they had given you a better response!
Yeah, I hope so!!! But won't do anything for me. Yes, at least I have the answers and now I don't have to feel bad that I don't put in OT and "oh my everyone works so much..."

Old 07-09-2015, 11:04 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,278,237 times
If you feel you are worth more and the market is pretty evident of this, then start shopping around. I would say there is a lack of a good faith effort at this employer to either compensate you monetarily or in some other fashion for the increase duties and skills. At this rate, you probably won't be promoted, even if what you're doing would reflect a promotion.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
If you feel you are worth more and the market is pretty evident of this, then start shopping around. I would say there is a lack of a good faith effort at this employer to either compensate you monetarily or in some other fashion for the increase duties and skills. At this rate, you probably won't be promoted, even if what you're doing would reflect a promotion.
It's sad, I really wanted to stay here. It's hard not feeling appreciated. Is it like this everywhere?

Old 07-09-2015, 01:16 PM

6,579 posts, read 4,968,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
It's sad, I really wanted to stay here. It's hard not feeling appreciated. Is it like this everywhere?
Sometimes worse! You can have a boss that tries to manage you by bullying

Old 07-09-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Sometimes worse! You can have a boss that tries to manage you by bullying
We have one of those here, thankfully he's not my boss
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment