Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 05:59 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times

Advertisements

.....do you find yourself feeling lost or apprehensive?

Right now (as if always), my sleep schedule is in disarray and I sleep when I get home, only to wake up around 4 pm and to get those feelings.

I suppose a way to correct that is to take up activities, set to work about something here or there. With other people around, such as taking in a play, there is the problem of where most people are winding down, I'm winding up. At least alone, that doesn't happen as much.

I don't know what I'm asking but I wanted to get this post out in case someone had an answer or such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 06:40 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
No. I don't have any idea what you are talking about. I would go home and sleep for about four hours and get up. I would go to bed around 8-830 PM and take a 2.5 hour nap before I went to work so I would not go in tired.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:42 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
I just woke up right now in time to get ready for work.

I have no wakeful hours. Just sleep and work.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:01 PM

For each, how long term in this kind of life are you? Me, I've been doing it 23 years.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:39 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,922,180 times
I work night shift and usually sleep from 2-10. Always feel well rested.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:58 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
You need to force yourself to stay up, really exhaust yourself in the morning and then try to go to sleep later. Then wake up later. Sometimes I'll try to sleep from 1-8 or 2-9 and then get up, eat, shower and go to work. Going to sleep as soon as I get home usually means not-so-great things for me. Most people working 9-5 jobs aren't in bed by 6 PM---they stay up for hours after they get home.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:08 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
You need to force yourself to stay up, really exhaust yourself in the morning and then try to go to sleep later. Then wake up later. Sometimes I'll try to sleep from 1-8 or 2-9 and then get up, eat, shower and go to work. Going to sleep as soon as I get home usually means not-so-great things for me. Most people working 9-5 jobs aren't in bed by 6 PM---they stay up for hours after they get home.
I think this is the best but people who have families working regular day schedules often get up to eat with or fix dinner for the family and split the sleep up.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:33 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,295,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
.....do you find yourself feeling lost or apprehensive?

Right now (as if always), my sleep schedule is in disarray and I sleep when I get home, only to wake up around 4 pm and to get those feelings.

I suppose a way to correct that is to take up activities, set to work about something here or there. With other people around, such as taking in a play, there is the problem of where most people are winding down, I'm winding up. At least alone, that doesn't happen as much.

I don't know what I'm asking but I wanted to get this post out in case someone had an answer or such.
Shift work is very hard on your body. I work swing shift, which means I work multiple shifts in the same week.

It has an adverse affect on your health. 8years ago I fell asleep behind the wheel on the high way causing an accident no one was hurt. But that was after voluntarily working two 16hr shifts and being forced to work a 3rd 16hr shift in a row.

So yes, I am sleepy at weird times, I'm not sleepy at other weird times. My biggest thing was eating at odd hours and putting on weight. I have that under control now, but the hours in swing shift work are not healthy.

The way I cope is to try to be as consistent as I can in when I sleep and eat. It takes a lot of discipline for me, but when I stick to trying to sleep and eat at similar times, swing shift is less taxing on my body.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:07 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,585 times
Working 8 hour shifts, whether it was 4pm-12am or 12am-8am, were quite easy to deal with for me.
Easy to do things after work, sleep in the middle, and things before work without having to worry about not feeling rested or rushed.
Whether it was work-outs, hanging with what friends I had, or even getting some college courses and tutor sessions in, it seemed the nature of the eight hour night gave me a lot of breathing room.

But now since 2009, every job I had entailed 12+ hours a day.
It was tolerable at the beginning, but now I feel it's taken its toll to the point of endless bouts of anger/sleeplessness.
Not enough time to sleep or get other things done between shifts on workdays.
And call it the place I live in again, but if I've got a 3-6 hour time-gap before something opens/starts at between 8am and 10am, then that would take from any time I could be getting rest.

I figure this would be manageable with some jobs, but driving trucks, sleep is about as valuable as the money you're trying to bring in.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:40 PM

Well, a couple of things.

It would be "great" if it were just a shift in the hours but for the want of this dance class then, "you can see the Vet "now"", nothing has ever been fixed in time. It's great for a day person because life usually doesn't happen in their night, but my night is their day and the story is just not the same.............to say very little that very few day people, especially the ones with calls on your time, understand what it is to be a night worker. It is a very big occupational risk.

As far as how the day people do their 9-5 lives and afterwards......I was just glancing at an extended play tape from 1996 (being converted over to DVD) and it had an advertisement for syndicated "The Cosby Show" at 6:30 PM. Oh, what a bitter sweet memory, when one's life could be measured by the TV on from 5-6:30 PM, 6:30-7, 7-10, 10-10:30, 10:30 to whenever. I have left that so far behind, that for whatever reason (and there is the question which lead to its extinction more), my life is just no longer regulated by external TV programming.

That has its advantages and disadvantages. Since what I watch is in a vacuum (non current TV series), it can be watched in the maximum agreement with my own scheduling. The disadvantage is that since I have long given up watching TV as most people know it, I am quite out of touch with the rest of the country. GoT? Never seen it. Dexter? Thought people were talking about some comedy for the longest time. Duck Dynasty? Thought it was related to Darkwing Duck and couldn't understand how a reconstituted, decades old, cartoon would be so popular. And so forth.

It's summer time and one of the things I want to do is be more the arts oriented. Take in more plays, more concerts in the park. The catch is, of course, those takes place in the day people's wind down period, such as like 7:30 PM. About the only way I can see to handle that "shock" is to create some kind of mental interface, even if false, which re-interprets the surrounding inputs to a scenario which is acceptable or the most conductive to me. Ie, when I'm sitting there on the patio with friends, it is dark, they are having their wine, their talk, their faces, are suggesting something far different from what I know I must engage in a few short hours, I have to find some way to take all that and not let it disrupt me.

It certainly plays havoc on the social life!

One of the things I have developed in the past year or so is to be able to rest in an extended day dream. I am sitting, I stare out in the distance, I relax the mind, the vision goes out of focus, and I drift off. The rest of the body's muscles can still be active, however, in that I can be in that chair, holding a pen, while I get 20-40 minutes of rest.........or be aware for the opening of a dance act and her conclusion, but be away during the rest. I haven't asked anyone to watch me, to see if my eye lids don't droop, if my body doesn't slump, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment