Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 08:29 AM

6 posts, read 15,007 times

Advertisements

Hi guys

So I just received news that I failed my Masters. I'm planning on doing another one and transfer my credits but I will need to be working in order to pay for it.
I'm wondering if it's ok to still add it on my resume and just write (not completed) next to it?

I know I will certainly have to explain myself during the interview (if I even get called for one ).

I have work experiences and internships to add on it (currently doing one with the UN), working on various projects. I've also worked for another well known intl organization; so at least have something to put on my resume.

Is it ok though to add the "incomplete" Maters and still try to apply for those positions requiring a Masters? I know it will be difficult but I don't really see any other solutions at this time.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2015, 09:17 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,165,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid01 View Post
Hi guys

So I just received news that I failed my Masters. I'm planning on doing another one and transfer my credits but I will need to be working in order to pay for it.
I'm wondering if it's ok to still add it on my resume and just write (not completed) next to it?

I know I will certainly have to explain myself during the interview (if I even get called for one ).

I have work experiences and internships to add on it (currently doing one with the UN), working on various projects. I've also worked for another well known intl organization; so at least have something to put on my resume.

Is it ok though to add the "incomplete" Maters and still try to apply for those positions requiring a Masters? I know it will be difficult but I don't really see any other solutions at this time.

Thanks in advance for your help.
If it were in progress I would say sure. But, it's not in progress. I wouldn't add it if I were you.

How are you going to explain it? Well I took all the coursework, but I didn't get good enough grades to graduate?

Old 07-01-2015, 09:36 AM

12,107 posts, read 23,271,144 times
You can put down that you have completed X number of credit hours of graduate school, but your degree is not "in progress." In progress degrees are followed by a notation, such as "scheduled to graduate Dec., 2015" or "ABD." You do not qualify to apply for jobs that require a graduate degree because you do not have one.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:38 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,058,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
If it were in progress I would say sure. But, it's not in progress. I wouldn't add it if I were you.

How are you going to explain it? Well I took all the coursework, but I didn't get good enough grades to graduate?
I agree. If it was just incomplete meaning you haven't finished yet then I would have included it (I put down working on MBA). But if you failed it will look bad.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:18 AM

I hear you guys.

I'm not going to put "in progress" but "not completed."

I did have personal issues that didn't allow me to perform well. But in case I still get a call from an employer, I will explain why I did not complete or finished the degree but also that I intend to. Of course I would never put down that I failed.

Has anyone being in a similar situation? Or has a hiring manager come across resumes like that? What did did you think? ( not knowing what really happened)

Old 07-01-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
You can put down that you have completed X number of credit hours of graduate school, but your degree is not "in progress." In progress degrees are followed by a notation, such as "scheduled to graduate Dec., 2015" or "ABD." You do not qualify to apply for jobs that require a graduate degree because you do not have one.
Ok.

I think I would be willing to take my chances though. I do have the type of experience that many students just graduating do not have, but not the degree. I guess it would be up to the employer to decide then.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:34 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,405,938 times
Quote:
I failed my Masters.

Do us hiring managers a favor and do not apply to any positions requiring a Masters. You failed to obtain your Masters. What part of that don't you understand?

Old 07-01-2015, 11:35 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,537,898 times
Quote:
I hear you guys.

I'm not going to put "in progress" but "not completed."

I did have personal issues that didn't allow me to perform well. But in case I still get a call from an employer, I will explain why I did not complete or finished the degree but also that I intend to. Of course I would never put down that I failed.

Has anyone being in a similar situation? Or has a hiring manager come across resumes like that? What did did you think? ( not knowing what really happened)
But you did complete it... and failed

Old 07-01-2015, 11:45 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,494,837 times
I think "not completed" and a long, convoluted answer as to why would hurt more than it would help.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:50 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,058,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Do us hiring managers a favor and do not apply to any positions requiring a Masters. You failed to obtain your Masters. What part of that don't you understand?
I agree, crap happens and some people fail out of a Master's program. At the present, you do not have a Master's degree, so therefore, you are not qualified to apply for a job that requires a completed Master's degree education.

As a matter of fact, I wouldn't even put down on my resume that your Master's degree is incomplete. Instead, I would perhaps write 'Entering graduate program at X college, Fall 2016 for MBA'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment