Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 08:25 PM

213 posts, read 204,917 times

Advertisements

I've just started working in a grocery store. I've somehow managed to attract the ire of the guy who works in the stockroom. He is of serious disposition so it's not like I expected him to be "cuddly", but he treats everyone else respectfully as far as I can tell.

- On our first interaction I was forced to raise my voice at him, as he couldn't understand what I was saying due to loud machinery. My tone or facial expression must have been off as he began to frown and replied back with an aggressive tone.

- There is a large sweep kept in the janitors closet that is used by courtesy clerks to sweep the store on their designated "sweeps". He took it for his own purposes. When he found that I had taken it back to do my sweep he said "I hope you haven't taken my sweep ". I gave it back to him immediately "Haha yeah, you need it? ". He just snatched it out of my grasp while glaring at me.

- For the next few days he took the sweep and put it behind various different places in the stockroom, causing me to have to go on a search every time my designated sweep came up. One of the times he put it in such a way that the sweep covered me in filth.

- I was sent to him with multiple leaking boxes full of soda. He complained that it was getting it on the ground. I asked him what to do with it and he yelled at me to take them outside.

- I was sent with some damaged items. Normally he isn't in the stockroom so I just put them on his desk. This time he was there, and he seemed to want to know why I was there so I told him. He grabbed one item but wasn't interested in the others so I began walking past him to his desk, to which he replied "Where do you think you are going with those? " I told him. Then he rose his voice "That's my desk! I work there. You can't just throw whatever you like on there." Me; "Ohhh, I was told to put most damaged items there ." He just glared at me and I finally left.

I dread going to the stock room and this doesn't seem like a big enough "problem" to talk to my superiors about. Today I had an encounter with him. Basically he took the sweep again and I went to go get it and I said "Can I borrow this?" He just gave me that "Oh, it's you *internal eye roll*" glare and trudged right past me.

I know this seems small but I keep thinking about it. Keep trying to think of ways to make peace with him. Even though i keep to my self i am one of those people that like to have harmonious relationships with everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 09:39 PM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times
You have two options.

Either man up and talk to him directly and sort out whatever the problem is, or go find another job. The weaker one appears, the more it eggs on others.

Don't involve supervisor, manager, HR, whatever. What are they going to do? To them it's not a big deal for them to worry about, and most likely they'll blow it off. And IF you do report it to higher up, you put a target on your back.

Sucks but that's life, we from time to time butt heads with another co-worker through no apparent fault of our own.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:40 PM

366 posts, read 433,289 times
I spent 8 years in a retail environment and my experience, was that people working behind the scenes in receiving, stocking, etc...we're not known as "people persons", which is usually why they were kept away from the main floor and as far away from customers and other employees as much as possible. They were usually hard workers that got the job done, but just did not play well with others and were best to just be left alone to work their shift and leave. That was my situation anyway..and this may be the case with your store.

If this isn't someone that you're partnered up with or have to only be around for a small percentage of your shift...you may just have to buck up and deal with it. There is ALWAYS going to be "that one person" at work that you don't mesh with.

If you do let it get under your skin..then tell a manager/hr. There's always a chance he has a history of this behavior, and a paper trail of complaints..May get it addressed.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:01 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times
sound like the problem to me is you :S

you sound petty, you disrespect him and you act like a middle schooler trying to one up someone

grow up and act mature...
and before you try and "point fingers" and say he started it, who cares... you are probably a higher pay grade, you are expected to hold yourself to a higher standard than you are showing

Old 03-02-2016, 01:48 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
I'm sure management knows the guy is a jerk. I'd stop even trying to get along with him. Continue to put stuff on his desk or wherever it should go and do your best to ignore his attitude. See if you can find humor in irritating him :-)

Old 03-02-2016, 08:31 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,752,695 times
Reading this objectively it sounds as if you are part of the problem. Putting damage items on his desk is very rude. Who told you to put it there? I would be irritated too if someone put a bunch of stuff on my desk.

It seems as if you aren't using common sense. Leaking soda boxes just standing there not knowing what to do, of course he is going to get angry.

You need to improve your evaluation of situations and how to react to them. It sounds as if the guy is a jerk which is making the issue much worse than it should be, but it isn't all him.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:35 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,225,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPan666 View Post
I've just started working in a grocery store. I've somehow managed to attract the ire of the guy who works in the stockroom. He is of serious disposition so it's not like I expected him to be "cuddly", but he treats everyone else respectfully as far as I can tell.

- On our first interaction I was forced to raise my voice at him, as he couldn't understand what I was saying due to loud machinery. My tone or facial expression must have been off as he began to frown and replied back with an aggressive tone.

- There is a large sweep kept in the janitors closet that is used by courtesy clerks to sweep the store on their designated "sweeps". He took it for his own purposes. When he found that I had taken it back to do my sweep he said "I hope you haven't taken my sweep ". I gave it back to him immediately "Haha yeah, you need it? ". He just snatched it out of my grasp while glaring at me.

- For the next few days he took the sweep and put it behind various different places in the stockroom, causing me to have to go on a search every time my designated sweep came up. One of the times he put it in such a way that the sweep covered me in filth.

- I was sent to him with multiple leaking boxes full of soda. He complained that it was getting it on the ground. I asked him what to do with it and he yelled at me to take them outside.

- I was sent with some damaged items. Normally he isn't in the stockroom so I just put them on his desk. This time he was there, and he seemed to want to know why I was there so I told him. He grabbed one item but wasn't interested in the others so I began walking past him to his desk, to which he replied "Where do you think you are going with those? " I told him. Then he rose his voice "That's my desk! I work there. You can't just throw whatever you like on there." Me; "Ohhh, I was told to put most damaged items there ." He just glared at me and I finally left.

I dread going to the stock room and this doesn't seem like a big enough "problem" to talk to my superiors about. Today I had an encounter with him. Basically he took the sweep again and I went to go get it and I said "Can I borrow this?" He just gave me that "Oh, it's you *internal eye roll*" glare and trudged right past me.

I know this seems small but I keep thinking about it. Keep trying to think of ways to make peace with him. Even though i keep to my self i am one of those people that like to have harmonious relationships with everyone.
Go to your supervisors. He is preventing you from doing your job. It is the only option you have. He sounds a bit mental, avoid him as much as possible.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:30 AM

213 posts, read 204,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Reading this objectively it sounds as if you are part of the problem. Putting damage items on his desk is very rude. Who told you to put it there? I would be irritated too if someone put a bunch of stuff on my desk.

It seems as if you aren't using common sense. Leaking soda boxes just standing there not knowing what to do, of course he is going to get angry.

You need to improve your evaluation of situations and how to react to them. It sounds as if the guy is a jerk which is making the issue much worse than it should be, but it isn't all him.
From the very first day my supervisors told me to put all damaged items on his desk. I didn't know it was his desk. It was just some desk that my superiors told me to put stuff on from my POV. There is no chair at the desk, no desk lamp, and never a person at it, so there was no indication it was someone elses working station.

What should I have done with the leaking soda boxes? They were sitting in a sink and my superior handed them to me and told me to go talk to the guy in the stockroom about them and awaited my return. I did exactly that.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:37 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,790,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
sound like the problem to me is you :S

you sound petty, you disrespect him and you act like a middle schooler trying to one up someone

grow up and act mature...

I'd say it's the other way round.

Old 03-02-2016, 09:50 AM

298 posts, read 271,126 times
he sounds mental, like someone here already said. maybe that's why he's away from the customers and the front. For all you know he could be borderline or some ex-con with anger issues. These are the kind of people they sometimes have back there. Did you google him or see his facebook?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment