Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 08:09 AM

875 posts, read 1,093,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellypink View Post
So my Dear Husband would like me to go back to work after uh um 9 years!
He would like to have more free spending cash to have fun with....

I have not worked since I was 19 years old.. When I got pregnant I said to him I was going to stay home with my child till she went off to preschool, well three years later we got pregnant and had another, then three years after that yet another baby to keep me home and occupied. Although my son is only 14 months I think I am ready to begin the searching process, Or at the very least consider my options.

I have my GED and AA degree. The type of work I used to do Before was Restaurant service and Banking. Done with that. I don't like people all that much to deal with the varying kinds of customer service all day long.

I also do not want to go to work just to pay my daycare costs.. So earnings would have to be more than say 3000.00 per month to make my time away from them worth it.

Does anybody have any suggestions???
What do you do???
What should I do???
I would be working towards a BA degree until the youngest is school age. There's not much sense in working full-time just to pay child care and have a pittance left over for "spending money."

It's VERY difficult to find anyone trustworthy enough to care for your kids properly, and you have to weigh what income you would make vs someone else literally raising your children.

The best thing you can do for your kids is be home with them until they start school.

I suggest your husband get a second job - much as I'm sure he doesn't want to, it's the only realistic solution. Finances are always tighter when the kids are young.......it does get better as they get older though - until they're teens......lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 09:16 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,505,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
You could also look into working at any of the area colleges. They usually include free tuition as part of their benefits package and then you could work towards completing your BA degree which would greatly enhance your chances of finding a much better-paying job.
This is a good step, I'm close friends with the Program Assistant in one of our residence halls on campus, and she's a mother of 2. (They are a bit past the toddler age though) and she seems to enjoy it. Its mostly clerical stuff, but once you know their system, its pretty simple to keep coming to work each day. Lots of great people on college campuses as well. And they offer 6 credits free a semester (at my school). I'd look into that pretty strongly. She works 8-5 with a 1 hour lunch break, thats somewhat flexible. It is a lot of customer service work though. However, there are plenty of other positions on campuses that are not so customer service oriented.

And, I'm going to have to say something... $3k/month, if we're talking gross (not net) is $17/hr. I make that as a good PC technician in a great market for PC technicians with at least 5 years of experience. I think you're asking for a LOT of money. If you're talking $3k net, then you're asking for even more. If you have the skills for it, awesome, and congrats to you, but your post didn't give a lot of information about your past skills.

Other than that, the idea that your husband work more isn't a bad one.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:15 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times
Look into driving a school bus. There is a nationwide shortage of bus drivers, so many districts pay quite well (mine starts at $16.57 an hour). The benefits are also excellent.

Most districts allow you to bring your kids along so there are no child care costs. And you have your mid-mornings off to do other things.

I started driving a school bus after I retired from the Gov't and got seriously bored. Just got my W-2 in the mail and I made $38K last year and had a lot of fun in the process!

Old 01-25-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Look into driving a school bus. There is a nationwide shortage of bus drivers, so many districts pay quite well (mine starts at $16.57 an hour). The benefits are also excellent.

Most districts allow you to bring your kids along so there are no child care costs. And you have your mid-mornings off to do other things.

I started driving a school bus after I retired from the Gov't and got seriously bored. Just got my W-2 in the mail and I made $38K last year and had a lot of fun in the process!
I thought about that, but discounted it because I thought the pay was too low for her.

Wow, thats... one great starting wage.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:04 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post

Does she have to pay for the training to drive a school bus?

To the OP:
I also thought your asking salary of $3000 was quite ambitious without any specific working experience. I say if you are not hurting for the money, you are going to probably hurt yourself more by working because you'd then be in a higher tax bracket and be taxed more, not to mention daycare expense...

Old 01-25-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewego View Post
Does she have to pay for the training to drive a school bus?

To the OP:
I also thought your asking salary of $3000 was quite ambitious without any specific working experience. I say if you are not hurting for the money, you are going to probably hurt yourself more by working because you'd then be in a higher tax bracket and be taxed more, not to mention daycare expense...
Those damnable tax brackets! But, therewego makes a great point.

Old 01-25-2008, 03:54 PM

732 posts, read 4,158,065 times
Why dont you just get a P/T job. It would be more enjoyable.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:31 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
Why dont you just get a P/T job. It would be more enjoyable.
Where would she put the 14 month old? Or are you suggesting she work at night like at Target, get some spending money while hubby watches all the kiddos and puts them to bed and all that jazz? I think that would be a great idea, actually.
Positives:
1)Mommy makes some $$$ so they can do dinner out over the weekends.
2)No daycare needed because Daddy watches the kiddos.
3)Daddy gets a taste of what Mommy has gone through all these years and may be convinced that maybe what he had before was a pretty sweet deal.

Okay, I am convinced do that...

Old 01-26-2008, 01:20 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,677,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by therewego View Post
Does she have to pay for the training to drive a school bus?...

Not around here. The school system pays YOU (full starting salary) during the 4 weeks of training.

This causes an unintended problem for them....to drive a school bus, you need a Commercial Drivers License (CDL) and obtaining one is part of the training. So, some people go through the paid school bus training for the sole purpose of getting their CDL. Then they immediately quit and go drive trucks for private employers. Talk about NERVE! LOL

Old 01-27-2008, 10:59 AM

857 posts, read 4,879,328 times
How about sales of some sort? Years ago when my son was little I was a Real Estate agent. I would set appointments around his schedule. I would take customers out in mornings when he was in nursery school or weekends when Daddy was home. Right now RE is down, but there are other industries that have sales people who make their own hours. And, I assume that your goal is to go back to working full time eventually once all of the kids are in school all day, so why not start developing a potential career that you can make some money at once the time comes.
Meanwhile, don't be in too much of a rush to get out the door. You don't realize it right now, but there will come a time when you would give anything just to have another day of wiping their faces and their bottoms and reading stories to them. Savor it while you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment