Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 12:14 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,381,268 times

Advertisements

I would just turn it off and leave it in my bag. Temps in a closed car during the day will fry a cellphone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 03:37 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,262,309 times
I had a buddy that smoked a lot.
He knew the over many years he had puffed away enough to buy a car, but cigarettes are addictive.
Smartphones are like that. The average Verizon bill was $148 in 2013.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:05 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I had a buddy that smoked a lot.
He knew the over many years he had puffed away enough to buy a car, but cigarettes are addictive.
Smartphones are like that. The average Verizon bill was $148 in 2013.
Yes but unlike cigarettes, cell phones are a need if even the dumbphones. Cigarettes are a choice with little economic gain to the individual. Cell phones are more like say food. You can eat too much food but without it, you die. Without a cell phone, you have to either bum one off someone or hope there are payphones and courtesy phones if you aren't at home.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:33 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
There's no way I'd leave a $600 phone in my car where it could easily be stolen, and the thought of leaving it at home is absolutely ridiculous. What happens if my car breaks down, especially in a remote area? Do you think I will find a handy pay phone nearby? They don't exist anymore. The whole point of having a cellphone is to have it with you.

However, I can understand not allowing employees to excessively play around with their phones at work.

However, not all phone usage at work is frivolous:

I get embarrassingly emotional when criticized, boss is yelling at me for using my phone, and more

Scroll down to Question #2 in the above link.

I think a better question is why does anyone need a $600 phone in the first place?

I see minimum wage workers(as one poster already mentioned) glued to their phone any chance they get, talk about priorities. These are the people who should be using track phones that you can pay as you go. How much of their weekly paycheck goes to the phone?

Even if you're making a very good salary to spend that kind of money on a phone is foolish, I know two people who have dropped them and they shatter easily. One had insurance(imagine insurance on a cell phone) and still had to pay $150 additional.

I have a $30 Verizon flip phone, works fine for me, I have dropped myself and the worst that happens is the back pops off.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:57 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I think a better question is why does anyone need a $600 phone in the first place?
An even better question is why is it anyone's business why someone else needs something or how much they paid for it?

Old 08-04-2015, 08:55 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
An even better question is why is it anyone's business why someone else needs something or how much they paid for it?
Well you see when you here people whine about how they have no money, but have expensive things like $600 phones or even $300 phones, it becomes my business. I have a family member like this.

Better yet, when I see people here in CA who are on the dole and getting EBT, yet they have tablets and smart phones, it becomes my business, because you see as a CA taxpayer I'm helping pay for that. Let them get a basic phone.

Now, I will give you if someone can afford a $600 phone, pay their own way, pay all their bills, than you're right.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:39 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Well you see when you here people whine about how they have no money, but have expensive things like $600 phones or even $300 phones, it becomes my business. I have a family member like this.

Better yet, when I see people here in CA who are on the dole and getting EBT, yet they have tablets and smart phones, it becomes my business, because you see as a CA taxpayer I'm helping pay for that. Let them get a basic phone.

Now, I will give you if someone can afford a $600 phone, pay their own way, pay all their bills, than you're right.
I can agree that we can decide to buy cheaper phones, but with that said, you can get a $600 phone dirt cheap. As a matter of fact, my last two phones were both under $2 with tax and they both were Galaxy smartphones.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:05 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,601,583 times
Quote:
Even if you're making a very good salary to spend that kind of money on a phone is foolish, I know two people who have dropped them and they shatter easily. One had insurance(imagine insurance on a cell phone) and still had to pay $150 additional.

I have a $30 Verizon flip phone, works fine for me, I have dropped myself and the worst that happens is the back pops off.
Should I not buy a computer and write everything on paper because a notebook is cheaper and won't break when I drop it?

A flip phone is just a phone. I probably don't make a three phone calls a week on my phone. It's the rest of the stuff that matters. Even if all the phones were $600 and you had to throw them into a corn grinder every year, they'd still be worth the money. That's about $4/day (counting the plan). Just for the time saved riding the bus (I have an app that knows where the bus is while the people with paper time tables only know where it is supposed to be) it is worth more than that. Plus, I don't have to carry a book to read on the bus because there's a few dozen on my phone. And those are small matters compared to the time, effort, and expense saved by being able to email (and make simple edits to documents) without having to get to a computer.

Not that I recommend the $600 models, but not spending money on a smart phone is a false economy unless you don't actually have to work enough that your time is valuable or you're not smart enough to use it.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:04 PM

327 posts, read 398,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
And I think he's on to something!

Ben Stein blames cell phones for America's economic ills

August 2, 2015, 12:39 PM|The Commerce Department reported last week that the economy is growing at an annual rate of just 2.3 percent. Contributor Ben Stein thinks he knows one reason why worker productivity is stalling, and it's in your pocket.

Video at link
Nice find. Thank you for the article.

My new move is to shut off the phone after 5PM…and it has been wonderful.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:28 AM

241 posts, read 223,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
YOU fear healthy relationships and are probably married to your phone. From your other posts, confessing you spend more than 3 hours per day on your phone indicates YOU are part of the problem, not to mention your professed desire to "get the bare minimum done" statement in that same post. THAT is exactly what he was referring to in his statement....you really don't care about your job.

The only "change" I fear is unhealthy trends in society as a whole.....
PierceMarx is probably a Marxist. I also suspect this person is a typical American college student. No matter how much you point out illogical behavior or bugs in a system, people like PierceMarx will not change their minds or see reason.......and they often tend to make laughable generalizations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment