Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 12:58 PM

114 posts, read 148,071 times

Advertisements

Okay I am almost ready to apply and just want to make the correct decision that will hopefully change my life for the better going forward. So the general consensus, from working with people in the health profession, reading about future outlook of the health profession, and even talking to relatives who are medical doctors, they seem to agree that PA is a good career choice. But that is vague to me, cause alot of careers in the health field can be considered a good career choice.

I love the versatility of the profession, the low debt to high income ratio, and the short amount of schooling. My relative who is a DO says if she could do it all over again she would do PA or orthodontist. My aunt made an interesting point, she said why not just go all the way? If you gonna take 2 or 3 years of schooling to be a PA why not just add a couple of more years and be a Dr.? Which got me thinking.

I have a relative same age as me who is studying to be a podiatrist. My relative who is pretty cocky makes it seem like podiatrist will offer him a life of abundance, owning his own practice, making lots of money. The podiatrist he shadowed seems to have a very enjoyable lifestyle. The podiatrist he shadowed said he will give him one of his own office when he graduates. I am afraid I will end up being jealous and bitter which would really annoy me. Hate to say this, but ego does play a part of this as well, on both sides. Cons would be my relative will graduate with over 200k in debt and will have to give up basically 7 years of his life if everything goes to plan. Also read about residency shortages, but do not know the validity of that.

As a PA I could potentially graduate with less than 100k in debt and look at a starting salary of 80 and potentially capping to 120-130k with 2 or 3 years of schooling. I have even read of PA having their own private practice with a supervising physician that visits ever so often. I have an entrepreneur heart in mind, so my strategy is basically get a stable base income where I can pay off my loans fast and start building up wealth sooner. With the exposable income then I will start investing my money to obtain passive income with whatever. It is very important to me that I don't end up being poor. Anyone has personal experience in regards to this matter? would love to read about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 01:18 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
If the main concern is money, then just specialize in a high paying medical field.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
If the main concern is money, then just specialize in a high paying medical field.
money does play a role, but I am looking more for quality of life. With good work and life balance.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingbald42 View Post
money does play a role, but I am looking more for quality of life. With good work and life balance.
Pharmacist all the way...

Old 08-04-2015, 01:35 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingbald42 View Post
money does play a role, but I am looking more for quality of life.
Well, how do you feel about feet?

Old 08-04-2015, 01:39 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times
For a PA program, have you already done required hours in the medical field paid or volunteer?

Old 08-04-2015, 01:40 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times
Quote:
i hear physicial therapists are usually pretty happy as well.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:14 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Quote:
I have two friends who are pharmacists and they work crazy hours and don't make a lot of money.

One poster mentioned physical therapy. It depends on your level of education whether it can be a lucrative career. The physical therapist I used for several months last year said she doesn't make much money, even though she has a bachelor's degree in PT and more than 10 years' experience. On the other hand, my friends' daughter recently graduated with a Doctorate of Physical Therapy from Northwestern in Chicago. I suspect she'll be able to do very well financially and have a satisfying career and good life/work balance.

I know one PA personally, and she works insane hours. She's very dedicated to her patients, and when she's not in the office she is dealing with them via email and phone. She even replies to emails from patients when she is away on vacation. I realize not all PAs would have such a schedule, but it's something to consider.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
I have two friends who are pharmacists and they work crazy hours and don't make a lot of money.

What don't you think is a lot of $?

Pharmacists start at 80-90K. That's a lot of $ to start out at. But it's all relative.

Pharmacists I know are retail. So their hours are set.

Old 08-04-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post

One poster mentioned physical therapy. It depends on your level of education whether it can be a lucrative career. The physical therapist I used for several months last year said she doesn't make much money, even though she has a bachelor's degree in PT and more than 10 years' experience. On the other hand, my friends' daughter recently graduated with a Doctorate of Physical Therapy from Northwestern in Chicago. I suspect she'll be able to do very well financially and have a satisfying career and good life/work balance.

I know one PA personally, and she works insane hours. She's very dedicated to her patients, and when she's not in the office she is dealing with them via email and phone. She even replies to emails from patients when she is away on vacation. I realize not all PAs would have such a schedule, but it's something to consider.

What specialty is your PA working in? How is she doing financially?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment