Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 06:23 AM

8 posts, read 100,751 times

Advertisements

I started a new job a month ago and am not performing well. I'm returning to work after taking a year off due to a traumatic event. I'm a senior person but it feels like it's my first job, even the intern is outperforming me. I feel very slowed down and making mistakes, even got an email today from my manager outlining my mistakes and telling me I need to improve. I'm really scared I'll get fired. It's only a month in but I want to do a good job. They've thrown a lot at me in this month and expect a lot from me but I'm having trouble keeping up. Please, any advice welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 07:52 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Get off the internet and get to work!

Old 08-06-2015, 11:42 AM

23,543 posts, read 24,041,250 times
Study and apply yourself. Find out what you are doing wrong and address/correct those mistakes ASAP. Spend evenings and weekends (if the job is important to you) studying until you show progress.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:47 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Get off the internet and get to work!
This.

But in all seriousness, I'm sorry you are going through a tough time. It's a young man's game out there (esp in high tech). I understand people may hire older people (40+) due to how much experience they have, but I personally rather hire someone in their 20s who can learn and adapt real quickly.

My advice is work overtime, at home, and learn what you don't know to play catch up. We all start somewhere.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:50 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,334,327 times
The simple fact is that not everyone is cut out for every job. Find something you're good at and run with it. The world needs trades as well as office jobs.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:52 AM

2,761 posts, read 3,428,453 times
Maybe the environment is not right for you.

For example,
I am also in a geek profession. Doc gave me some pills to take. Good luck trying to do some work on them. I am having trouble typing as it is.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:18 PM

596 posts, read 627,813 times
I'm sorry some of these comments weren't more kind. But that is the nature of the work culture in this country, it's cut throat and very cut and dry. I do feel for you, as I just started an internship and feel overwhelmed at times but I try to keep my perspective in line.

My suggestion to you would be to take an approach like an eager intern would. Come to work early, leave late. Show up to the office before your boss, let them see that you are there before they arrive and let them see you there before they leave.

You'll be showing them dedication and that is one great and valuable trait. Another thing is ask questions and ask for helo, but spread it around. Don't just go consistently to one person (but of course if there is one good person you can trust to show compassion and help you, do go to them) but spreading it around makes it that you aren't being a bother and preventing the same person from doing their job.

Also, if you are in the technical field, there are free online training programs you can access in your spare time. For example, I'm teaching myself HTML and C++ coding, there are free programs online that will teach me. There's also youtube and even some training books.

Finally, I don't know if you're religious or not but prayer helps calm my nerves and center me. So if religion isn't your thing, maybe a brisk walk in the morning as the sunrises, or a nice cup of coffee...find what helos center and sooth you and use that either in your stressful busy moments or just before you start work. These things can help calm you and prepare you for your day. And with a clear and focused mind, you'll perform better than a person running around with a million worries on their mind.

I wish you the best

Old 08-08-2015, 05:45 AM

370 posts, read 504,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
This.

But in all seriousness, I'm sorry you are going through a tough time. It's a young man's game out there (esp in high tech). I understand people may hire older people (40+) due to how much experience they have, but I personally rather hire someone in their 20s who can learn and adapt real quickly.

My advice is work overtime, at home, and learn what you don't know to play catch up. We all start somewhere.
LOL. Hire the younger people? the generation that have zero interaction with humans? No way. Plus 40+ senior? sorry you sound like a jerk. I find the younger generation to be my least favorite. They are rude, cocky and lazy. When I was a manager I constantly had to tell them to put their phones away-oh my god they were lazy too...They also were the worst with customer service as they had zero interaction skills. My current boss hires "older" people and I mean in their 50's..but this isn't about what generation is better or who is better...

To the poster: my advice is to just slow down. You are nervous and it's hard to start a new job at any age. We're living longer so that means we need to work longer..so ask questions show your manager you are turning a "new leaf" I once started a new job where I too "dropped the ball" but by end of that job I myself was a manager.

Good luck

Old 08-08-2015, 05:58 AM

7,188 posts, read 9,322,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekchick25 View Post
I started a new job a month ago and am not performing well. I'm returning to work after taking a year off due to a traumatic event. I'm a senior person but it feels like it's my first job, even the intern is outperforming me. I feel very slowed down and making mistakes, even got an email today from my manager outlining my mistakes and telling me I need to improve. I'm really scared I'll get fired. It's only a month in but I want to do a good job. They've thrown a lot at me in this month and expect a lot from me but I'm having trouble keeping up. Please, any advice welcomed.
Well at least you recognize the problem.

Perhaps your job is not a good match for your skills and interests. If so, look for a better fit.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:12 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekchick25 View Post
Welcome to my world. Previous experience in warehousing, production and delivery. Now? Deli worker and it's one heck of a surprise and learning curve. Training is or has been so-so but sticking it out. If I don't yes, have ui as back up, but like you, want to excel and do well.

Just remain positive you'll catch on and succeed. If not, then you did what you could.

P.s. I am 55 as of 6/2015 and already had 2 trainers ask if I'd stay and not go to new store... Ego boost!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment