Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2014, 08:37 AM

513 posts, read 738,348 times

Advertisements

I've been a medical transcriptionist for over 15 years and am getting burned out. Also, I am having back problems from sitting for 8 hours a day, even though my part-time job is only three days a week. One time I actually was called for a medical scribe job interview with a one-doctor practice, but had jut had foot surgery and had to decline the interview.

Other than the medical terminology part of it that I would feel confident about, what other skills would be required--coding, perhaps? Pay scale? I'd love to have a full-time job with benefits, etc. My research reveals they are used primarily in ERs, which I would not enjoy or be suited for. Anyone with this current job, preferably away from the emergency room?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 09:01 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,247,995 times
There have been several discussions on MT forums in recent months about the feasibility of transitioning from MT to scribe. It seems that in many facilities medical students are the preferred demographic for recruiting scribes.

On the surface, it would seem that MT skills should be translatable to the scribe role, but the information is not being conveyed from the doctor to the scribe in the same manner as with the dictation we are trained to transcribe. The scribe is basically formulating the report from the doctor-patient interaction, not just transcribing the report as it is dictated by the doctor.

While we have a large passive medical vocabulary, very, very few MTs (if any) have the active clinical training and skills needed to create a report from scratch just from observing what is happening in the examining room. There might be facilities where the doctor actually dictates as he/she is working to a scribe, but that would seem to defeat the purpose. The scribe is apparently expected to be an actively clinically knowledgeable medical near-professional who can interpret what is going on with the examination and produce a report without a great deal of explanatory detail from the doctor or other practitioner.

Another issue is that the pay for scribes is apparently very low, something on the order of $12 per hour. For a medical student getting clinical experience, getting paid would just be a bonus. For someone needing a job to support himself/herself, the low pay would be a barrier.

An individual doctor might be willing to work with an experienced MT to make the transition to a scribe position work, so that might be something you could pursue, though it might require a lot of cold calling to find someone willing to consider it.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:19 AM

513 posts, read 738,348 times
Default ^^ Thank you

I appreciate your well-reasoned reply that gives me a better idea of what a scribe actually does. I did run into sites that said this was suited for medical students especially. I make $12/hour now for very easy dictation, so I feel that mine is a fair wage. I'm just on "auto pilot" most days and that's getting to me : ), in addition to the back problems and am trying to find something else to do with more varied duties.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment