Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 03:55 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,052,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
Those 70 hour work weeks sound grueling!
Then don't even think about starting and running your own business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 03:56 PM

816 posts, read 1,397,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
Then don't even think about starting and running your own business
I could be wrong, but I'm sure that greatly depends on the type of business...

Old 08-15-2015, 04:02 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,118,708 times
My heart goes out to those who have a conviction and trying to turn your life around. Speaking as an ex cop and currently a manager, I would have no problem working with someone with a conviction. Most people have made mistakes. Everyone deserves another chance.

I know my company's policy is to automatically disqualify anyone with a record. If and when I get to a position where I can influence policies, I will definitely work to change that.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:18 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Seems like you are not in a position to be picky, and not all drivers work 70 hours.

Also, scratch being your own boss, as you will put in that many hours and more, especially as you have no cash to hire anyone.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:03 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,920,369 times
Quote:
Felons can't be choosers

Old 08-15-2015, 06:04 PM

789 posts, read 1,992,894 times
What are your skills? Small mom-and-pop businesses are less likely to run a background check, and often more willing to give someone a chance. And I agree that the food service industry is often very forgiving. I know of several major restaurant chains (not fast food) that will hire someone with a felony, but you have to disclose it on the application and be willing to discuss it with HR.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:36 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,231,638 times
Quote:
Thanks for the response. That is pretty much what I figured. I would love to have my own business, but I have no idea what type of business I'd even start. I don't really have any skills unfortunately. Plus I only have a limited amount of cash for start up costs.
First off, everyone has skills...You just have to put it in the right perspective. I used to work with folks that were forced out of farming...I would have them sit down and write out everything that they had learned how to do...They were always surprised, looking at their various skills. This helps to boost your esteem, it also helps identify what you like to do.

For yourself, I'd recommend doing that, and also listing what your fantasy jobs would be...What would you really enjoy doing, even if you didn't get paid. Then, with that list in mind, you research the schools and tech schools in your area where you can hone that trade and gain a certificate, or a degree if you are pursuing a 4 year degree.

Personally, if you are good at tech or building or many other skills, I would recommend a certificate or a tech degree, so that you spend less time in school and more time getting out into the workforce. By the time I figured out that I should have done that I was well into my 4 year degree with student loans, so it made more sense to keep plugging along. I've advised against that since then to many folks.

Look at the various certificate programs at the tech school closest to you. I've also know folks that have moved for the short term to acquire their tech education....anything from welding to dental. There are some very high paying positions in aeronautics too...check into any that interest you. I did a simple google search for tech school education....there were many links...Look in your area, or for the type certificate or degree that interests you. Tech schools often seem to have grads that are hired right upon graduation.,..my theory is that they are generally smaller and more personable....and therefore more interested in their students. Here is a link to Vocational Education...It might be interesting to research some of your areas of interest. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocational_education

I have checked on Dept. of Labor and after finding which State office applied, have checked on the various apprenticeship programs offered. Some are directly related to persons who have felonies...You'll have to I am not sure if it was called Fresh Start, the crime has to have been non-violent and non drug related as I recall to qualify.....But, any DOL office may be able to direct you to the right office to ask about applying.
DOL U.S. Department of Labor

There are also programs at your state job service office meant to help folks with reentry into the job market, and may have some information on various programs you may qualify for. Not knowing what state you are in, I didn't look for a link.

There are also programs called SCORE...the local job service may be able to give you that information. It is retired business persons who help guide entrepreneurs in opening their own small businesses. And organizations such as this can help you with grants and other financial opportunities that you may want to apply for. SCORE https://www.score.org/

Other than these ideas, if you are good at construction, landscaping, any of the hands on areas for service type jobs that is a plus. No matter what degree you have, if you have a physical skill, something that you can do to earn money, you'll always have a job in my opinion. Good luck to you. Be honest about your past if it comes up, but also discuss the life changes and positive steps you've taken to never make those same mistakes. There are people who are real enough to give a hard worker a chance. Good luck to you

Old 08-15-2015, 07:23 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,621,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Seems like you are not in a position to be picky, and not all drivers work 70 hours.
Absolutely agree.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
First off, everyone has skills...You just have to put it in the right perspective. I used to work with folks that were forced out of farming...I would have them sit down and write out everything that they had learned how to do...They were always surprised, looking at their various skills. This helps to boost your esteem, it also helps identify what you like to do.

For yourself, I'd recommend doing that, and also listing what your fantasy jobs would be...What would you really enjoy doing, even if you didn't get paid. Then, with that list in mind, you research the schools and tech schools in your area where you can hone that trade and gain a certificate, or a degree if you are pursuing a 4 year degree.

Personally, if you are good at tech or building or many other skills, I would recommend a certificate or a tech degree, so that you spend less time in school and more time getting out into the workforce. By the time I figured out that I should have done that I was well into my 4 year degree with student loans, so it made more sense to keep plugging along. I've advised against that since then to many folks.

Look at the various certificate programs at the tech school closest to you. I've also know folks that have moved for the short term to acquire their tech education....anything from welding to dental. There are some very high paying positions in aeronautics too...check into any that interest you. I did a simple google search for tech school education....there were many links...Look in your area, or for the type certificate or degree that interests you. Tech schools often seem to have grads that are hired right upon graduation.,..my theory is that they are generally smaller and more personable....and therefore more interested in their students. Here is a link to Vocational Education...It might be interesting to research some of your areas of interest. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocational_education

I have checked on Dept. of Labor and after finding which State office applied, have checked on the various apprenticeship programs offered. Some are directly related to persons who have felonies...You'll have to I am not sure if it was called Fresh Start, the crime has to have been non-violent and non drug related as I recall to qualify.....But, any DOL office may be able to direct you to the right office to ask about applying.
DOL U.S. Department of Labor

There are also programs at your state job service office meant to help folks with reentry into the job market, and may have some information on various programs you may qualify for. Not knowing what state you are in, I didn't look for a link.

There are also programs called SCORE...the local job service may be able to give you that information. It is retired business persons who help guide entrepreneurs in opening their own small businesses. And organizations such as this can help you with grants and other financial opportunities that you may want to apply for. SCORE https://www.score.org/

Other than these ideas, if you are good at construction, landscaping, any of the hands on areas for service type jobs that is a plus. No matter what degree you have, if you have a physical skill, something that you can do to earn money, you'll always have a job in my opinion. Good luck to you. Be honest about your past if it comes up, but also discuss the life changes and positive steps you've taken to never make those same mistakes. There are people who are real enough to give a hard worker a chance. Good luck to you
Awesome reply. Greatly appreciated.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howiester View Post
Felons can't be choosers
Sure I can be. It's not like I'm some low life piece of scum animal. People always have options. Yes even us felons have options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment