Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 01:24 PM

3,157 posts, read 2,735,537 times

Advertisements

Stop waiting for someone to bestow upon you a "job" and do something simple that no one else wants to do.

Auto detailing, landscaping, handyman/carpentry work.

Get yourself a wheelbarrow and a pickup truck and do yard clean-up. If you're good, a regular will ask you to clean his gutters. Then you'll be building fences, decks, etc. Parlay that into a respectable hustle by outworking everyone else.

Become a "Blue Collar Millionaire", like on CNBC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 01:57 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,040,710 times
Start your own business. Start with a low cost start up business like lawn care, handyman, auto mechanic etc.

Learn a trade like Electrician, Plumber, Carpenter.

Realtor (case by case depending on felony type, time passed etc)

Dog says bounty hunter

Towing/Property Recovery (the recovery side can be lucrative if you have the brains, know someone skilled at locating people and are willing to put in the hours)

Farming

Distribution (small margin and you have to work for practically nothing until you can build a large customer base) I know someone that went to farmers growing different types of vegetables and meat and signed them up to distribute the goods. Close to opening a grocery store. He avoids big accounts and focuses on individual private accounts. Makes for a steady income once you get the customers signed up.

Car dealer ( i think as long as your felony isnt auto related you can do this) This is harder now than in the past but you can make some decent money with a buy here pay here lot selling self financed cars to people with poor credit. You can do better if your handy with car repair work or you can work out a deal with a good mechanic.

Oil field. Still good jobs there in Texas, Oklahoma, Dakotas, Alaska etc. Lots of people worked their way up with felony convictions by starting out as a roughneck.

Theres tons of jobs, you have to take your abilities, figure out what you like to do, narrow it down to a single item or group of related jobs, learn what you need to know and be willing to move to where you can apply it.

Old 08-16-2015, 02:50 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,793,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
Stop waiting for someone to bestow upon you a "job" and do something simple that no one else wants to do.

Get yourself a wheelbarrow and a pickup truck and do yard clean-up. If you're good, a regular will ask you to clean his gutters. Then you'll be building fences, decks, etc. Parlay that into a respectable hustle by outworking everyone else.

Reminds me of a guy I overheard talking on a bus one spring. Seems his roommate had a felony and moved in that winter. Lost his job and the next day he went out and bought a good lunch and a snow shovel and then went door to door offering snow removal for $20.

Came home with $400 Did that for a week.

Those are the type of people who won't let a mistake destroy their lives.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:20 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,203,652 times
Felons are basically locked into low wage jobs(if they can even get that). That's why many end up getting back into "that life"

Old 08-16-2015, 06:55 PM

816 posts, read 1,397,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Felons are basically locked into low wage jobs(if they can even get that). That's why many end up getting back into "that life"
That's what I was afraid of and it's very unfortunate. I understand there are those career criminals out there who don't care about getting a good job, but many convicted felons are just normal people who made an unfortunate mistake.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post

I'm not waiting for someone to "bestow" a job upon me.... I'm just weighing out my options and seeing what I'm even eligible to do. I don't want to waste time and money getting a degree if I come to find out that I can't even get a job in that field.

I would really love to start a business, but I just don't have any handyman skills. I understand I can do cleaning and stuff like that; I'd have to do some research on that type of stuff, but it seems that market is saturated. I'd probably be best off working with another handyman to learn some skills first before I consider branching out on my own. I had an interview with a local home rehabbing company; I'm just waiting on a call back from him. Hopefully he offers me a gig so I can start learning!

Old 08-16-2015, 07:12 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,514,115 times
According to some self righteous patriots that are among us none. According to them they all should stay in jail or forever be unemployed and homeless until they die.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:17 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times
Felons are some of the best entrepreneurs.

Old 08-16-2015, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Europeanflava View Post
According to some self righteous patriots that are among us none. According to them they all should stay in jail or forever be unemployed and homeless until they die.
That's the vibe I'm getting from some people...

Old 08-16-2015, 08:04 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,871,444 times
I worked in Corrections and over the years I got to know quite a few Parole and Probation officers. Several friends of mine owned construction and trucking businesses and they hired Felons. However a lot of it depended on the type of offense. The common thread of the type of Felon they did not want to hire were the Violent sex offenders and armed robbers. One of these business owners told me that it had been his experience that ex-burglars and sneak thieves were usually the least likely to tap the till or steal because they all knew they would be the FIRST to be investigated when something was missing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment