Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2015, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 1,609 times

Advertisements

I’m looking for some advice on how to build a career in technical writing. I’m 24 years old and I have a Bachelor of Science in Biology. I minored in Writing in college as well, and have taken many English courses. For the past year I’ve worked at an Engineering firm doing mostly admin work, but I help with reports as well. I’ve helped to compile many technical reports, inspection reports, and other documents that count as technical writing experience. Unfortunately, many of these are for confidential clients so I haven’t built much of a portfolio.

Writing has always been my greatest skill. I want to build a career as a technical writer, and I think so far I’m on the right track. My Bio degree hasn’t helped much, but I think it would be a huge asset if I went on to get a Masters. Which brings me to my next question: Should I pursue an advanced degree in technical writing, or try to get started with my current experience?

I’ve been researching online Master’s programs in Technical Writing, and this one in particular caught my eye: http://www.uwstout.edu/programs/mstpc/overview.cfm I would earn a M.S. in Technical and Professional Communication (MSTPC). The entire program is online, and it appears I could complete the degree in one year, assuming I took 15 credit hours each semester. Would this degree be a huge asset for starting a career as a technical writer?

Please let me know if there are better online degree programs out there. Is a M.A. or M.S. more beneficial for this field? If you could link me to other programs that might be better options I would really appreciate it.

I believe my current job is a “baby step” because I honestly don’t get my hands on too much technical material. I get to help out once in a while, but it’s getting my feet wet at best. I detest most aspects of this job and want to move on to something with better pay and more mental stimulation.

I’ve heard of sites such as Upwork where you can do freelance work. I’m thinking about making an account later and seeing what that’s all about. I’m very interested in doing freelance writing, and I know I could get started with this while maintaining my current job. I’ve been thinking about doing some freelance work on the side. Ideally I would like to work remotely, and I know this is common for technical writers.

I’m thinking of working until the end of the year, then enrolling full time in a Master’s program for Technical writing. I’m a diligent hoarder of money, so this will be a definite option for me. My only issue is I don't have much technical writing I can share (due to confidentiality issues at work). I've written research reports in college, could I include these in my portfolio for a college application? Some of the schools ask for writing samples.

What I’m looking to get out of this thread:

1. Advice from people who have successful careers as technical writers. How did you get started? Is it easy to find work?

2. Is an advanced degree worth it, or would I be better off with my current credentials?

3. How are the prospects for freelance, remote work in this field?

4. Some links to good online degrees in this field

Thank you so much for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 11:29 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Why not get a technical degree and then segue the writing part into that?

Old 08-17-2015, 11:32 AM

2 posts, read 1,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Why not get a technical degree and then segue the writing part into that?
Honestly I'm open to all suggestions, but this is the most appealing one I've found so far. I'm not really interested in pursuing an advanced degree in Bio. My undergrad degree was something I was pressured into by parents, and luckily I was able to pick up the pieces and pay off my loans. I was resentful for a while, but I realized you can't cry over spilled milk and the degree isn't worthless. I've thought about a M.S. in Information Technology as well.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:11 AM

9 posts, read 14,505 times
Hmm... I wonder if I would have better luck in the writing forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment