Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 06:49 PM

837 posts, read 754,104 times

Advertisements

I currently sell cars for a dealership that sells about 400-500 cars a month. The structure here for business is fantastic and the pay plan is great. Consequently, I make about 160K a year. I'm very good at my job but the structure here is very strong too. Those are all the positives but the negatives are just as strong - the rules are suffocatingly strict and they're getting more and more and more strict everyday it seems like - I got sent home today for a very stupid reason. We have to wear long sleeves with tie year round, even in 90 degree weather...which is completely idiotic. We have to make 20 calls a day even in days where you're selling 2-3 cars, which is so annoying. Our gm is very cheap so there are very few porters - we have to put on our own plates and transfer plates over by hand, dumb as hell.

We have a sister dealership that's nowhere near as successful - they do about 150 cars a month but the pay plan is still very strong and the people there are nowhere near as competitive as my current dealership is. People at my current place are very aggressive so they make it difficult to get as many customers as I would like. The big downside with this place is the lack of traffic/business - with 150 cars a month, I could go from selling 22 cars a month to only 10-15. If I could sell 15-20 cars a month, I would probably make the same money I make now but I just don't know. Everything else is basically upside however, the rules are very very laid back, there are plenty of porters to help us with everything, no calls requirement, polos in the summer time instead of shirt and tie.

The reason for the difference in success rate is not 100% because of how well both places are ran - a lot of it is because the lesser volume store is a luxury brand while the higher volume store is a more successful/prominent brand.

What should I do guys? Do I continue to force myself to work at a place ran by Nazis to keep making that 150-160K or do I take a risk knowing that I could make 50K...or I could make 130K but everything will be soooooooooooo much better outside of the money? Honestly, I would take a 30K paycut all day long to not have to deal with all these idiotic rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 07:30 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantleygilbert View Post
Honestly, I would take a 30K paycut all day long to not have to deal with all these idiotic rules.
^^^^^^^ There you go.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
^^^^^^^ There you go.

did you read the rest of the post?

I would leave today if I knew for sure I could make 120-130K, the problem is I don't know what I would make

If I go there and make 50K, I will shoot myself for leaving 160k...

Old 08-31-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
did you read the rest of the post?

I would leave today if I knew for sure I could make 120-130K, the problem is I don't know what I would make

If I go there and make 50K, I will shoot myself for leaving 160k...
I read all of the post.

You've been saving some of that $$$ all along, right??? Since you're not married and have no kids?

So if you want to work at a job where you won't be sent home for wearing a short-sleeved shirt, take the other job.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I read all of the post.

You've been saving some of that $$$ all along, right??? Since you're not married and have no kids?

So if you want to work at a job where you won't be sent home for wearing a short-sleeved shirt, take the other job.

I have about 40,000 saved up with no debt outside of my mortgage and car payment - which are not even due until October (I already paid next month)

but I'm not worried about paying my bills, I'm trying to build a great financial future for myself

Old 08-31-2015, 08:18 PM
Status: "Do not pass GO, do not collect $300 (used to be $200)" (set 11 days ago)

600 posts, read 274,382 times
Vote with your feet and change it up. You can always keep tabs on the previous employer, and if you decide you want to go back, just wait for an opportune time like someone else leaving the old dealership or peak season. If you've been putting up the stats, then bringing you back would be a no-brainer. If they have hard feelings and don't bring you back despite your stats, then it's probably only a matter of time until they get out-competed anyway (though if it's a small town, it could be a long time).

Actually, if you know how to run things better, line up some investors, sell them on the idea of taking market share from the old dealership, and who knows, maybe you'll get the last laugh.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:25 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,642,681 times
Quote:
I currently sell cars for a dealership that sells about 400-500 cars a month. The structure here for business is fantastic and the pay plan is great. Consequently, I make about 160K a year. I'm very good at my job but the structure here is very strong too. Those are all the positives but the negatives are just as strong - the rules are suffocatingly strict and they're getting more and more and more strict everyday it seems like - I got sent home today for a very stupid reason. We have to wear long sleeves with tie year round, even in 90 degree weather...which is completely idiotic. We have to make 20 calls a day even in days where you're selling 2-3 cars, which is so annoying. Our gm is very cheap so there are very few porters - we have to put on our own plates and transfer plates over by hand, dumb as hell.

We have a sister dealership that's nowhere near as successful - they do about 150 cars a month but the pay plan is still very strong and the people there are nowhere near as competitive as my current dealership is. People at my current place are very aggressive so they make it difficult to get as many customers as I would like. The big downside with this place is the lack of traffic/business - with 150 cars a month, I could go from selling 22 cars a month to only 10-15. If I could sell 15-20 cars a month, I would probably make the same money I make now but I just don't know. Everything else is basically upside however, the rules are very very laid back, there are plenty of porters to help us with everything, no calls requirement, polos in the summer time instead of shirt and tie.

The reason for the difference in success rate is not 100% because of how well both places are ran - a lot of it is because the lesser volume store is a luxury brand while the higher volume store is a more successful/prominent brand.

What should I do guys? Do I continue to force myself to work at a place ran by Nazis to keep making that 150-160K or do I take a risk knowing that I could make 50K...or I could make 130K but everything will be soooooooooooo much better outside of the money? Honestly, I would take a 30K paycut all day long to not have to deal with all these idiotic rules.
Why do you need us to tell you your reasoning makes sense and if your willing to make less and work at a more laid back dealership then make the change if there are no other risks .

Old 08-31-2015, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectronicOverlord View Post
Vote with your feet and change it up. You can always keep tabs on the previous employer, and if you decide you want to go back, just wait for an opportune time like someone else leaving the old dealership or peak season. If you've been putting up the stats, then bringing you back would be a no-brainer. If they have hard feelings and don't bring you back despite your stats, then it's probably only a matter of time until they get out-competed anyway (though if it's a small town, it could be a long time).

Actually, if you know how to run things better, line up some investors, sell them on the idea of taking market share from the old dealership, and who knows, maybe you'll get the last laugh.

this place never rehires anybody who leaves here

market shares from the old dealership? The other place I'm considering going to is owned by the same company - that's why I said sister dealership

Old 08-31-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
Why do you need us to tell you your reasoning makes sense and if your willing to make less and work at a more laid back dealership then make the change if there are no other risks .

Mod cut.

This isn't a simple case of "leave a horrible place making 160K to go to a great place making 140k" - This is a case of "leave a horrible place making 160K to go to a great place where I could make 150 or I could make 50K"

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-01-2015 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:

This is a case of "leave a horrible place making 160K to go to a great place where I could make 150 or I could make 50K"
If the difference ^^^ is up to YOU, then DO IT. If not, figure out how much more pain you're willing to tolerate.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-01-2015 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: Orphaned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment