Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 07:16 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

I could see credits for certain classes here and there if there is an honest real world replacement. However, getting too many credits without the class negates a large part of the college experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 12:02 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,217,238 times
Concordia University - Degree Completion
This is just one of many accredited colleges that offer degree completion with life experience.

The whole college/university educational system is flawed, from professors that don't teach and leaving it up to assistants that are no good, openly biased teachers that only grade according to their personal philosophy, to those who can't communicate in english, the graduate requirements that change midstream forcing one to take an extra year, skyrocketing tuition that outpaces inflation and costs of living increases, and so on.

The game has changed long ago and it's best to keep up with it.

Old 10-04-2015, 05:56 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I could see credits for certain classes here and there if there is an honest real world replacement. However, getting too many credits without the class negates a large part of the college experience.
Is the college experience really that important? These types of programs tend to be marketed to adult learners who couldn't care less about the college experience.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:14 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
It's odd how people don't have a problem with AP and IB exams, but have a problem with other alternative sources of credit. CLEP, DSST, and other challenge exams are the same, except that the people who take these are more likely to study for them on their own. Still, it's possible for adults to sit for an AP exam if they can find a high school that will let them.
I don't know if things have changed or not, but when I took AP classes many years ago, the credit given was not actual college credit. It was just an exemption from the requirement of taking the class. I didn't get any actual credits on my college transcript for anything.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:50 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,938,904 times
College is supposed to prepare you for life (in a completely artificial environment, btw). If you've already done what college preps you for, then what's wrong with getting an accredited school to verify it for you?

I have a degree from a well-known, public, brick & mortar, well-respected, accredited school. My credits were from college classes, clep, and life experience.

My life experience credits were incredibly hard to substantiate as I had to put together a portfolio that proved 1)college-level learning, 2)cross-referenced it to a course currently being offered by the college, 3) find college-level textbooks that matched the skills I said I'd learned in real life and 3) prove that that (the college course I cross-referenced) fit into my degree plan. The portfolio was more work than some of my actual classes, but it saved me money. I stand by every single credit I earned through work/life experience.

Incidentally, none of my transcripts will indicate how I got the credits.

I'd like to add that I've had some really, really bad professors and courses that were a total waste of time.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I don't know if things have changed or not, but when I took AP classes many years ago, the credit given was not actual college credit. It was just an exemption from the requirement of taking the class. I didn't get any actual credits on my college transcript for anything.
Most people get credit for AP exams; that's why the College Board spends money on ACE evaluations. SAT Subject Tests, on the other hand, usually lead to advanced standing.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:46 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
When I get an application with one of these "degrees" listed, it is immediately disqualified. People using these on their resumes are hurting themselves more than if they relied solely on their experience.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:47 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
The business and corporate world consider those to not be universities, but diploma mills, and they would rather have someone without one than one with one.

They won't get you a decent job.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
When I get an application with one of these "degrees" listed, it is immediately disqualified. People using these on their resumes are hurting themselves more than if they relied solely on their experience.
I'm pretty sure that you can't tell when you see these degrees unless you're talking about unaccredited schools. If you're talking about colleges with regional accreditation that accept CLEP and other non-traditional forms of earning credit, then that would include most colleges and universities in the country.

It's disturbing how many people do get jobs with degrees from diploma mills (unaccredited colleges that require little to no work). HR departments see a university name that sounds legit and don't even bother to verify accreditation in many cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The business and corporate world consider those to not be universities, but diploma mills, and they would rather have someone without one than one with one.

They won't get you a decent job.
Two of the three most flexible colleges for accepting CLEP, DSST, PLA, and ACE credits are state colleges. Most employers just see them as little-known state colleges. They have no idea how the degree was earned. Even if they did know about the flexibility of these colleges, most of the students who attend them complete most of their degrees with coursework rather than tests or PLAs. Technically, only unaccredited schools can be diploma mills.

Last edited by L210; 10-07-2015 at 07:39 AM..

Old 10-07-2015, 07:56 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
You mean heavy drinking and promiscuous coeds? I don't think you get credits for those. Not at the academic level anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment