Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 05:32 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAappraiser View Post
Yes, but I've been told by Brits I know that you also get WAY more vacation (holiday) time than we do. I knew a girl who started out in a basic position and got 4 weeks vacation first year. That's unheard of here, you guys are lucky. By the way, I can still taste the insanely delicious lamb & leek pie I had in a little pub in Paddington on the way to Jason's trip. What a lovely area you live in.
Wow why thank you

Jason's boat trip that was in little Venice and best of all I live literally 5 mins down the canal from where you got on the boat....... Small world LOL

Some great pubs in Paddington can you remember which one? If it was by the train station I'm guessing either the fountain abbey or the pride of Paddington? However if it was on the canal it can be only the Paddington basin or the waterway pub?

Yeah I'm well lucky cheers for the post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 07:28 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
They do 6 hours a day to combat high unemployment.

They are basically dividing work up.

Most Americans wouldn't be able to survive if you reduced their income 20% a week. Most would end up with a second job to cover the losses.
If we went to a 32 hour work week, instead of 40, it would create a lot of jobs. We may even be able to reduce taxes because we could reduce programs for the under or unemployed. If people really want to work 50-60 hours to make more money, they should be able to. WE made the culture of 40 hour work weeks to prevent employers from FORCING people to work 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. It's an outdated societal convention.

I've worked full time, and I've worked part time, and it seemed to me that when I worked full time, a lot of my income went into supporting my efforts to work full time. More take out dinners, more gasoline/car maintenance, more child care expenses. Airfare because I didn't have time to drive to my folks. New clothes because I didn't have time to mend the old ones (even if I really liked them). More likely to pay others to do work around my house. More money to pay for quick fixes instead of taking some time to bargain shop. I was sick a lot more.

More use of sick time (lost productivity for my employer)

My current employer is moving away from part time employees because they have to offer more benefits and it costs them more. But with national healthcare, that should be less of an issue.

I wonder how many people would sign up if a 32 hour work week were a choice???? Working full time when you are raising kids is hard. How about two income families currently working 80 hours per week, many could manage financially and have a better quality of life on 72 hours or 64 hours per week. But when I try to work part time, there are fewer professionally paid jobs to be had, I had to take a demotion in order to work 20 hours per week. Can't do that anymore. Just can't afford it. But if I could be paid at the full hourly rate of my profession for 32 hours per week, I could be very happy with that until my kids were grown.

What if the federal, state and local govts tried it to see how many would participate, what the savings would be, and how many jobs were created? Then corporations could follow suit?

Old 10-03-2015, 07:45 AM

2,920 posts, read 1,985,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Can I ask what the normal is in the US? In the uk is predominantly 8 hour shifts
Full time work was always considered 40 hours/week until The Affordable Care ruined things for millions and millions of workers. See, here probably starting in the 90's companies created a lower class of worker who received just under 40 hours/week (typically 37.5 or 38.5), so they could avoid giving them a full timer's benefit package. The Affordable Care Act redefined a full work week as 30 hours/week, meaning a company either had to provide appropriate heath care insurance, or pay a fine of either $2000 or $3000 per employee (not sure what it ended up between the two). So companies just reduced hours from 37.5 or 38.5 to under 30, and most didn't just go to 29 or 29.5, but down to 24, 25 or 28 hours/week.

By the way, the companies who started giving some employees less than 40 hours/week back in the 90's kept some workers, the ones they felt were 'worthy', at 40 hours or above, and lower level positions were the ones cut to under 40. It's getting worse and worse for both lower and middle class workers in this country.

Edit to add: By the way, I'm one of the employees who saw their hours cut. Mine were cut to 24/week originally, but I spoke up and eventually the company changed it's policy and allowed us to work 28/week. And at less than $10/hour you know my paychecks are barely keeping me housed and the electric on.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:54 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Huh? Where is 50+ hours normal?
Look at indeed.com com in any RTW state. Im in KY and there are many listed on indeed right now. Its against TOS to place the link, but I can assure you they are there in my areas of KY and IN.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:57 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Quote:
Many Americans could survive on 20% less if they didn't buy so much crap and waste so much food and energy.
All good wholesome people put stuff like this on CD everyday, simply not the truth statistically. Obviously you are not aware of such things, so google "wage stagnation" an see what comes up

Old 10-03-2015, 07:59 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,527,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Full time work was always considered 40 hours/week until The Affordable Care ruined things for millions and millions of workers. See, here probably starting in the 90's companies created a lower class of worker who received just under 40 hours/week (typically 37.5 or 38.5), so they could avoid giving them a full timer's benefit package. The Affordable Care Act redefined a full work week as 30 hours/week, meaning a company either had to provide appropriate heath care insurance, or pay a fine of either $2000 or $3000 per employee (not sure what it ended up between the two). So companies just reduced hours from 37.5 or 38.5 to under 30, and most didn't just go to 29 or 29.5, but down to 24, 25 or 28 hours/week.

By the way, the companies who started giving some employees less than 40 hours/week back in the 90's kept some workers, the ones they felt were 'worthy', at 40 hours or above, and lower level positions were the ones cut to under 40. It's getting worse and worse for both lower and middle class workers in this country.

Edit to add: By the way, I'm one of the employees who saw their hours cut. Mine were cut to 24/week originally, but I spoke up and eventually the company changed it's policy and allowed us to work 28/week. And at less than $10/hour you know my paychecks are barely keeping me housed and the electric on.
Terrific post Ohio thank you

That does sound tough really tough infact your a better person than me!

Old 10-03-2015, 09:52 AM

2,920 posts, read 1,985,284 times
You're welcome LondonCowboy. Definitely not a better person, I assure you of that. Just a hard working humble guy trying to get by.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:01 AM

5,712 posts, read 4,289,046 times
And you see this is a problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Which would lead to a shrinking labor force as demand for goods and servic s fell 20%

Old 10-03-2015, 10:32 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Some people like to work all the time. But believe it or not, some can make it part time wages but have usually worked full time for the medical benefits. Now with Obamacare they can get it on the exchanges. But I don't see it becoming the standard.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:45 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,498,243 times
Quote:
Huh? Where is 50+ hours normal?
Lots of fields... Most business jobs, engineering, medical, etc. White collar stuff. If you own your own business or practice though you can have a more reasonable work week. Otherwise, most salaried positions I know of (or positions that actually pay a decent wage 50,000+) all require about 45-60 hours a week...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment