Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2015, 07:39 AM

124 posts, read 123,935 times

Advertisements

I have decided that marketing is not what I want to do. Now that I have thought about it, the skills that I have is stuff that anyone can do. Here's a list of some skills: Accounts Payable, retail warehouse sorting merchandise and shipping them out, and writing press releases and flyers at marketing internships. I have realized that these skills are easily replaceable and with the fact that technology is changing everyday, it may be best to learn a trade or something with more specialized skill that is harder to replace. That way, it's easier to obtain jobs and I can enjoy the work that I do.

I was thinking of Occupational Therapy Assistant, but research made me realize that this field is getting overly saturated and the actual Therapists are taking on more of the assistant's roles and cutting their hours. There aren't many opening in my own state for this (30 annually). Now, the only other options that I have considered are HVAC and weatherization of businesses and homes since they are both "green occupations" and I like to work with my hands and help people that way. By having a Bachelor's degree in hand already, I would be a lot more marketable with that in mind.

Or, I could attempt to look for jobs out of state first, but I wouldn't be sure what to look for at that point. My only thoughts are accounting jobs similar to my current job (accounts payable), but at the same time, I realized I don't want to be tied to a desk anymore since I feel a lot less active. My boyfriend said if I was able to find a job elsewhere, he would gladly leave his job for me since he has saved a lot of money and moving shouldn't be a problem since we have both saved a lot. Any advise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment