Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 08:40 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
Exactly which AMA restrictions are you referring to? Be specific please.
The American Medical Association limits the amount of doctors that medical schools can churn out, so there is always a job and the pay stays high.

But I don't know why I bothered to post this info, or respond to all the posts against me.

I really don't care about which career makes the most $, and I really don't care about $ that much period, so my participation in this thread makes no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 09:09 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,559,658 times
Quote:
The American Medical Association limits the amount of doctors that medical schools can churn out, so there is always a job and the pay stays high.
Sort of true, but not completely. There are tons of foreign trained doctors trying to become eligible to practice in the US on top of US Med student grads. The number of actual medical school spots are actually increasing quite a bit in the past few years. What isn't changing is the number of residency spots--and you aren't going to be able to practice without a residency. That is the real bottleneck. And those spots aren't really controlled by the AMA. Funding and specialty groups have more say there. And some are definitely kept small so as not to "flood the market" (Dermatology, ENT). There are way way more residency spots for internal medicine and family medicine than the more lucrative specialties, though.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:15 PM

4,039 posts, read 3,775,084 times
Why has nobody mentioned sales yet? If you're good, you could rake in a lot of money. No, it isn't easy, but if all you care about is money, it would seem like the obvious choice.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:18 PM

1,156 posts, read 941,766 times
I'm pretty sure the guys running the presses at the US Mint make more money in a day than most people make in a lifetime.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:01 PM

135 posts, read 390,758 times
The guy thats the broker between oil companies and the country that sells oil. About 20 years ago said person could make $35,000 an hour.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:10 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,163,979 times
Bada$$ rednecks with biga$$ paychecks know that you can't spell "spoiled" without oil.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:46 AM

156 posts, read 219,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Why has nobody mentioned sales yet? If you're good, you could rake in a lot of money. No, it isn't easy, but if all you care about is money, it would seem like the obvious choice.
This is a good point, but "sales" is incredibly broad. It ranges from call-centre telemarketers and door-to-door salespeople to investment bankers and private wealth management.

Most salespeople are not making a killing. If you're a doctor, you're middle class at the bare minimum.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:14 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
plastics. there's a great future in plastics. think about it. will you think about it?

Old 10-12-2015, 05:27 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Become the CEO of a profitable, fast growing startup.

Equity it the surest path to great wealth.

You will never get rich working for somebody else.
I agree with this somewhat, except that you can become rich working for someone else if you are part of the founding team. You can be the accountant, sales person, developer, operations manager, tech support or a number of other jobs if you look for early start up opportunities. Lots of MeetUp groups and other ways to meet entrepreneurs. If you are willing to live in near poverty taking peanuts for pay in exchange for stock options until the company takes off (or crashes and you move on to the next one) you can end up quite wealthy. This is a gamble, of course.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:53 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
sell cocaine.
Great answer, but I think meth is a better choice now, especially because you can manufacture it yourself and cut out the middle man, thus reducing your risk of going to prison. Prostitution doesn't pay as well as drugs because a lot of people can get the product at home for free, even if its not the style they prefer. If we're talking legal professions which are easily attainable, vs. being CEOs of megacorporations or movie stars, I'd go with engineering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment