Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 06:52 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times

Advertisements

we get five weeks a year. it suppose to be week in spring, week in fall and then rest for rainouts, three day week end, etc

we have one guy that will use all five weeks by april, and then start taking un paid time. around thank giving and xmas he take a week for hunting . He see nothing wrong with it, because it unpaid, not costing the company. but everytime somebody takes off, somebody has to cover for him. So we got people that has five weeks but get no time off because they are always covering. He will just announce on a friday, taking two weeks off, see ya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 08:09 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I would speak to your manager about it. HR is there to support the company and not you, BTW.
....and speak with an attorney too....

Old 10-18-2015, 08:14 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
the only thing a employer owe you is, pay for time work, and a safe work environment. everything else is gravy.
This reply is so wrong....we're not slaves...This employee works there and supports whatever business with their time/education/expertise, and they not only deserve to be paid, but they also deserve time off to continue to stay healthy and able to work.

This Republican mentality that "nobody owes you anything" is what has destroyed this country's work environment, and is leading to so many social issues that will be very hard to resolve.

There is such a massive amount of selfishness displayed at every corner right now, it's not funny. #fail

Old 10-18-2015, 08:20 AM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post

based on what..abusing PTO?

Old 10-18-2015, 08:30 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:

Quote:
This reply is so wrong....we're not slaves...This employee works there and supports whatever business with their time/education/expertise, and they not only deserve to be paid, but they also deserve time off to continue to stay healthy and able to work.

This Republican mentality that "nobody owes you anything" is what has destroyed this country's work environment, and is leading to so many social issues that will be very hard to resolve.

There is such a massive amount of selfishness displayed at every corner right now, it's not funny. #fail

This Democrat mentality that "you are entitled to everything for free from other citizens including abusing the PTO system that businesses have in place" and encouraging the abusers to "speak with attorneys" is what has destroyed this country's work environment, and is leading to so many social issues that will be very hard to resolve.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:34 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Something is wrong with this story.

You failed to mention if your company said anything about the EXISTING TIME, granted in error, like yours, if it was going to be honored or whatnot. The "pipeline" so to speak.

It would be highly unusual for a real company with an HR dept. who admits to PTO "abuse" to just simply ignore that. OR they left it up to each dept. Or each Manager or Supervisor.

That's not to say it can't happen. Once at the phone company they decided to put people on "absence control" for reasons not PREVIOUSLY outlined. Such as "calling out on a Monday or Friday or day after a holiday".

The reason? They were having an audit and wanted to clean up their books. Even though nobody ever thought that one instance of being sick on a Monday would result in putting on an absence plan. We were ALWAYS told if it was a PATTERN but people got slammed for ONE occurrence. RETROACTIVELY!

Perhaps you're a "victim" of that type of thing. They're trying to CYA. OR you have the story wrong. Regardless, if you were out of compliance with the system it'll be hard to fight.

That being said, once in PA in a UNION STATE, the phone company UNION shop went to court when the management decided to enforce the 15 minute break which had become 20 minutes over years and years. And a judge actually UPHELD the union and they had to continue with the 20 minutes LOL. Corruption.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 10-18-2015 at 09:13 AM..

Old 10-18-2015, 09:42 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
I don't understand how you can take vacation without PTO?

Old 10-18-2015, 09:53 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,641,658 times
Somewhere along the way it looks like you are responsible for the mistake. You didnt know you were taking days off you didnt earn? Someone in the company caught the error and am assuming plenty of others tried the same thing. Will also say I think whoever your supervisor is will be in hot water also. Happened at my company and they lowered the boom on all employees where short term disability applied. Now you have to use all but five days of your vacation before disability kicks in. Thankfully there really are some who pay attention to what happens within the company. Also had an employee in our dept who when running out of days would take days on their own dime. That doesnt fly either and he lost his job after years of employement. I venture to say theres more to the story and that the company is correct as sounds like many employees thought theyd take advantage of the situation so they put a stop to it. So much for lax supervisors. Employees need to know one thing that when this type of thing arises and if the employee for whatever reason lose their job,any time off taken but not earned comes out of the final paycheck.

Last edited by luv my dayton; 10-18-2015 at 10:09 AM..

Old 10-18-2015, 10:21 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
Somewhere along the way it looks like you are responsible for the mistake. You didnt know you were taking days off you didnt earn? Someone in the company caught the error and am assuming plenty of others tried the same thing. Will also say I think whoever your supervisor is will be in hot water also. Happened at my company and they lowered the boom on all employees where short term disability applied. Now you have to use all but five days of your vacation before disability kicks in. Thankfully there really are some who pay attention to what happens within the company. Also had an employee in our dept who when running out of days would take days on their own dime. That doesnt fly either and he lost his job after years of employement. I venture to say theres more to the story and that the company is correct as sounds like many employees thought theyd take advantage of the situation so they put a stop to it. So much for lax supervisors. Employees need to know one thing that when this type of thing arises and if the employee for whatever reason lose their job,any time off taken but not earned comes out of the final paycheck.
In many cases there are provisions that allow an employee to take advance PTO, but they are spelled out - and usually reserved for extenuating circumstances. It's odd to me that the OP had zero leave in June. Scheduled five days of PTO that he/she did not have for two months later... then took additional unscheduled days. At the same time she also scheduled eight days in November. He/she has given no indication that these days were for anything but pure pleasure. That is abusing the system in my book. Manager's will often try to be flexible with employees, but inevitably, some employee(s) will take advantage and ruin it for everyone.

And then, they will want to go to HR, or get an attorney as though THEY were the ones who were wronged.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:25 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I would speak to your manager about it. HR is there to support the company and not you, BTW.
That is exactly right, and I wish more people could realize this. They are there for the employer, and anything they do for the employee is merely to save the employer's butt.

Also....

This is why I keep records for ALL of my PTO approvals. Ours is done in the computer, and all of the approvals are kept in its own folder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment