Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 10:09 PM

926 posts, read 1,256,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
you don't know the coworker was the one that took the money.. that would be awful dumb of your coworker anyway and why would they then turn it in? Usually someone would take the money and just dump the wallet not turn it in.
That is true. So, the boss is the thief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 10:35 PM

70 posts, read 84,381 times
feel bad

Old 10-21-2015, 11:33 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,139,048 times
No matter how small the workplace, there will always be at least one thief. Human nature.

I'm aware of one unwritten rule: You lose our wallet. Someone finds it and picks it up. They take the money out and keep it. Then put the wallet in a US mailbox. The post office returns it to you, minus cash, but your ID and credit cards are still there, saving you a big hassle to replace. Finders fee.

Be glad it was only 12.00

Old 10-22-2015, 12:27 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Again, you have no proof who took anything.
Principle will get you nowhere.

Take better care of your wallet.
The notion that bad employees always get their comeuppance, while good ones are always rewarded and promoted, and never the other way around is one thing I learned early on in the workforce. If the OP pursues this, especially without proof, he may be the one getting fire, while the actual thief comes out far ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumisgood View Post
Someone who gets it. Like now, I cant really trust the people involved in other situations, and these are people I work with on a near daily basis. Im not lamenting losing the $12, rather losing the trust in people I previously did.

And it always comes back to bite them, now when someone asks me to vouch for so and so, I cant do so in good faith. Like, why?
There are different levels of trust. One guy I knew stole the office's paper towels every now and then (he admitted it to a small group of his close coworkers, including me). As far as how he is as an employee? Excellent. He's pleasant to work with, and always gets his work done in an excellent manner, on time. He even comes in to work early and leaves late if people here care about that.

And speaking of trust, since you can't narrow it down to one suspect, you're "shotgun accusing" coworkers. Falsely accusing someone of stealing can be worse than being an actual thief.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:58 AM

1,892 posts, read 2,534,226 times
I agree with most other posters. You don't know specifically who took your money. The coworker who found your wallet said it had a couple dollars in it, as opposed to the $12 you said it had. Maybe someone else took $10 then put the wallet back where they found it. You just don't know. In all likelihood someone (or more than one) at work stole your $12 but you don't know who. Just make a mental note of it and let it go. Yes it's bothersome but there's no use stressing over it. Your coworkers are your coworkers, not your friends.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:21 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
What would you do?
Fire him right on the spot.

Do my best to insure he never got hired again.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:36 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,203,063 times
Quote:
Idk, stole or maybe "gifted themselves".

So, Im at work today, making my rounds, and apparently I dropped my wallet. I was unaware I had done so until I was on my way to buy something. Thinking I had left it in my car, I casually mentioned to my supervisor that my wallet was missing. It turns out one of my coworkers had found it and had turned it in. I get back my wallet and everything is there, except for the $12 I had in it. Apparently the drivers license didnt look like me, and they didn't read the name on it, as they didn't realize it was mine. Thats their story, anyhow. I mention to my supervisor that it was unfair that my money was still missing.

I go to the coworker that found it and ask if there was money in it when he found it. He says there was a couple dollars in it. I ask if he gave the wallet to the supervisor with the money in it, he says he did. I just said "wow, theyre just going to steal from me?" and I walk away. Then I went back to work and have been acting like nothing happened.

Idk, at least I have my wallet.

What would you do?
Watch your credit accounts to make sure you do not become a victim of identity theft. Since your I.D. or I.D.s are also in your wallet it is a possibility. After all if someone isn't above stealing money from a wallet then more than likely they wouldn't be above becoming an identity thief as well.

Old 10-22-2015, 05:17 AM

658 posts, read 724,495 times
I wouldn't make any accusations as of yet. If you're certain there were twelve dollars in the wallet and it came back missing, obviously someone intentionally took the money. As someone mentioned, integrity at work needs to be checked and it has now created a very uncomfortable working atmosphere. If it ever happened again, you will most likely lose other things as well if the person found no cash in it.

The sad part is now you realize your co-workers do not respect you and not only that, none of them are trust worthy. Your supervisor could have done better in this case but he didn't either.

Look for new opportunity elsewhere; where people are professional and respect you.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:28 AM

583 posts, read 713,401 times
If someone steals $12, then they'll steal more from you than that. It's like lying. If a person will lie to you about small things, they will lie to you about big things as well. It's not about the how big or small the action is or the amount of money was stolen, it's the fact that it happened in the first place. That's pretty low. I'm sorry that happened to you. I wouldn't trust anyone there and with that being said, I would start looking for somewhere else to work. It never feels good to work somewhere where there's no trust.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:16 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameridreamNoT View Post
The sad part is now you realize your co-workers do not respect you and not only that, none of them are trust worthy. Your supervisor could have done better in this case but he didn't either.

Look for new opportunity elsewhere; where people are professional and respect you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnaBunney View Post
I wouldn't trust anyone there and with that being said, I would start looking for somewhere else to work. It never feels good to work somewhere where there's no trust.
Looking for a new job is also ill-advised.
The OP has NO idea who took the money... so it might not have even been a coworker.
Anyone who happened to be in the building could have done it. A courier, UPS guy, customer, job applicant, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment