Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 03:14 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,901,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
Some companies/institutions just have the wrong people with the wrong skillsets doing their hiring. They are not necessarily bad people, they just don't have the training or experience to successfully do their job. I can imagine that this is damn frustrating for the applicant, though.
Nailed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 03:17 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,901,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
We have two opinions on CD about hiring managers.

2: They are a bunch of crazy nerds that don't know the ideal person for the job when they see them.
This is actually true in some cases. I wouldn't call them nerds, though, because they're not exactly intellectual beacons but the good ones do a simple task and do it well.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:37 PM

12,848 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
But that's my point. We keep hearing about bloodthirsty hiring managers with no conscience on here. Surely, I would have run into these creatures by now in my 14 years of work experience at least once.

I don't doubt that they exist. What I'm saying is I don't believe they are as widespread as people on here tend to believe.
Your 14 years of work and 7 as a professional isn't that much and besides, it's not the years, it's the mileage as they say. Yes, I can very easily see that you would not have run into one in just 14 years. Took me about 22 years before I wound up working for one. It's really hard to believe until you do, but once you've been supervised by one of them, you realize there are not enough negative adjectives to describe the experience.

That doesn't mean the that every hiring manager is like that. I doubt that anyone posting here believes the extreme is the norm. But rather they post here because the extreme is just that -- so far outside the norm that no one believes them.

Folks like that are few, but they can do damage all out of proportion to their numbers. After all, there was only one Adolph Hitler, but look what impact he caused.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:39 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Your 14 years of work and 7 as a professional isn't that much and besides, it's not the years, it's the mileage as they say. Yes, I can very easily see that you would not have run into one in just 14 years. Took me about 22 years before I wound up working for one. It's really hard to believe until you do, but once you've been supervised by one of them, you realize there are not enough negative adjectives to describe the experience.

That doesn't mean the that every hiring manager is like that. I doubt that anyone posting here believes the extreme is the norm. But rather they post here because the extreme is just that -- so far outside the norm that no one believes them.

Folks like that are few, but they can do damage all out of proportion to their numbers. After all, there was only one Adolph Hitler, but look what impact he caused.
As I've said before. I don't doubt these creatures exist. But they are few and far in between. However, look at the reactions in this thread. Many people here indeed believe that most HM's are like that.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:59 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Generalities and stereotypes don't fit. The hiring decision in the company I worked was a decision of line management input from 2 to 3 leaders who conducted interviews along with 'peers' and first line supervisors in the recruits field. The 'HR' person was a recruiting coordinator, who organized the day and trip. All could say no so never assume anyone hosting you doesn't matter.

We hired engineers from top schools who just graduated. Most times their was a shortage of top candidates so we were selling nit just evaluating. A few times candidates exceeded industry positions and we were more focused on picking the ideal candidate. When candidates were short the HR person acted like their best friend and wined and dined them.

HR was not a decision maker. As a candidate your interview was with future bosses and peers, you get to see if the environment speed right for you. We also hut the same schools each year so knowing older graduates could give you insights to employers for your decision too.

The world of 'CD' is simpler than the real world.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:07 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
I'm really confused by this hiring manager position I keep seeing referenced. I'm older than the OP but not by a ton. I've been working in the corporate world for about 14 years now and I've never come across someone with the title of hiring manager.

I've dealt with HR and then I get interviewed by manager(s) who happen to be the one's in the department with the posted positions, thus they are the manager who is hiring or hiring manager. But it sounds like this thread is talking about a specific person who only interviews and hires people?

Old 11-06-2015, 05:23 PM

146 posts, read 213,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I'm really confused by this hiring manager position I keep seeing referenced. I'm older than the OP but not by a ton. I've been working in the corporate world for about 14 years now and I've never come across someone with the title of hiring manager.

I've dealt with HR and then I get interviewed by manager(s) who happen to be the one's in the department with the posted positions, thus they are the manager who is hiring or hiring manager. But it sounds like this thread is talking about a specific person who only interviews and hires people?
You and I both, it must be an industry term in OPS preferred industry.

In my industry, all of my " hiring managers " were MY managers after I was hired.

Old 11-07-2015, 03:12 PM

12,848 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post

Naaa, you pretty much have it. Hiring manager is the manager doing the hiring. Usually, but not always the manager you will be working for. At times the hiring manager may be the manager's supervisor or one of the other supervisors to help ensure no favoritism/discrimination, etc.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:17 PM

709 posts, read 766,436 times
Quote:
Just curious. Did they teach you the difference between plural and singular back in school? I bashed 1 friend and you somehow magically turned that into plural.

And no, I'm not great. There's no greatness in me. I just learned to play the game properly from early on. Anyone can learn to play the game.

I have yet to run into a hiring manager that's bloodthirsty like so many people on here talk about all the time.
This just too funny.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:05 PM

34,061 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
As I've said before. I don't doubt these creatures exist. But they are few and far in between. However, look at the reactions in this thread. Many people here indeed believe that most HM's are like that.
Correct, and those of that mindset are amongst the least successful posters professionally. But whining is more vital to them than self improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment