Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 10:53 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times

Advertisements

Because of my student loans, I have to work for a nonprofit. Is there a website or list with registered nonprofits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 12:43 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,146,302 times
I suggest exploring other avenues, like the military

I’m fully aware that the government offers student loan forgiveness for those that work at certain non-profits. I’d take into consideration that you still have to make 120 on time monthly payments.

My experience working for a non-profit was not a positive one. I’ve heard the same things from other classmates that went to work at different organizations. The level of dysfunctional you’ll have to put up with is amazing. There are also the never-ending budget issues that threaten the jobs of the plebian **** ants at the bottom. There’s a reason why non-profits are always screaming for donations and welcome fresh interns with open arms. In simple terms it’s tough to secure long-term employment with a non-profit.

When I left that place I pretty much concluded that I would have felt a lot better if I had been harpooning whales and clubbing baby seals. It was mostly a waste of time for adding value to my resume.

Old 11-26-2015, 01:14 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I suggest exploring other avenues, like the military

I’m fully aware that the government offers student loan forgiveness for those that work at certain non-profits. I’d take into consideration that you still have to make 120 on time monthly payments.

My experience working for a non-profit was not a positive one. I’ve heard the same things from other classmates that went to work at different organizations. The level of dysfunctional you’ll have to put up with is amazing. There are also the never-ending budget issues that threaten the jobs of the plebian **** ants at the bottom. There’s a reason why non-profits are always screaming for donations and welcome fresh interns with open arms. In simple terms it’s tough to secure long-term employment with a non-profit.

When I left that place I pretty much concluded that I would have felt a lot better if I had been harpooning whales and clubbing baby seals. It was mostly a waste of time for adding value to my resume.
No way I can do military.

Non-profits can even be places like universities or local/state government. Even private universities and schools can be registered as non-profit.

But most people think of charities when they think of non-profits.

Old 11-26-2015, 01:37 PM

404 posts, read 366,997 times
I would like to work a non profit as well. For some reason though, every non profit that I go to has a plethora of women and no guys..kinda weird..

Old 11-26-2015, 02:45 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,663,170 times
I work at one of the larger non-profits on our area. It is HORRIBLE. The lowest point of my career. It was the first job I got when I relocated here, and I really wish I waited for something else. It is essentially a welfare system for connected people. Board members etc, bring in all of their relatives for jobs. Since these people cant do anything, they are given some variation of a "research" title. If you are one of the 80-100 people who really has to do something to keep the place conforming for the free, government money, your life is hell. Like a Dickens novel . . . I thought I would just ride it out til retirement, but I am insulting myself by ending an otherwise great career at a non-profit. I have to wonder if private industry people see years at a non-profit on a resume and assume the applicant to be out of touch with the real working world? After this experience, I would

Old 11-28-2015, 10:50 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,967,860 times
I have never worked at a non-profit, but have many relatives who tried. Depending on the field, many positions at non-profits are filled with interns. Some paid staff will sit around and do nothing because they feel entitled due to the low wages. In one situation there were four paid employees and two interns. The interns did everything except for turning in reports and going to meetings while the paid employees spent all day online shopping or on social media, taking two hour lunches every day. Generally speaking, wages are at the bottom end with non-profits in any field.

Old 11-29-2015, 07:22 AM

4,330 posts, read 7,240,688 times
Up until recently, the National Football League was registered as a non-profit organization. The credit union where I have accounts is a non-profit organization. Operates pretty much like a regular bank.

Just saying, it seems like there can be a fine line between a for-profit business, and a non-profit organization.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:45 AM

118 posts, read 107,283 times
Check the TYPE of non-profit before you assume they qualify as a non-profit for the purposes of discharging your loan. See "What is qualifying employment?" https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-l...ing-employment

Old 11-29-2015, 02:38 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,126,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Because of my student loans, I have to work for a nonprofit. Is there a website or list with registered nonprofits?
http://www.guidestar.org/Home.aspx

Old 11-29-2015, 03:26 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,663,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
I have never worked at a non-profit, but have many relatives who tried. Depending on the field, many positions at non-profits are filled with interns. Some paid staff will sit around and do nothing because they feel entitled due to the low wages. In one situation there were four paid employees and two interns. The interns did everything except for turning in reports and going to meetings while the paid employees spent all day online shopping or on social media, taking two hour lunches every day. Generally speaking, wages are at the bottom end with non-profits in any field.
The one I work for does do some good stuff for the people it is intended for, but the issue I have is, it could do what they do with 100 people. Not the 350 it has now. I mean, how many 6 figure VP's does one place of our size need?!?!? We have 6!!! For what? Those 250 other people do exactly what you describe. I have such a visceral dislike for the freeloaders at my job I am going to write a letter to the department in charge of grants in our state capitol and ask them to please research what that money is being used for. Don't know if it will do any good, but it needs to be out in the open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment