Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 10:34 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,596 times

Advertisements

Wow!!! What the heck does she do for 16 hrs a week?? 8 hours a day?! Does this include grocery shopping and cooking? Childcare? I mean, I have a team of 2-3 ladies that can clean my 6500 sq ft house in 1.5-3 hours max. And rarely do I need the ENTIRE thing cleaned all at once, so "max" is maybe once every month or two. I can't fathom having someone milling around my house for 2 full days!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 04:56 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
Wow!!! What the heck does she do for 16 hrs a week?? 8 hours a day?! Does this include grocery shopping and cooking? Childcare? I mean, I have a team of 2-3 ladies that can clean my 6500 sq ft house in 1.5-3 hours max. And rarely do I need the ENTIRE thing cleaned all at once, so "max" is maybe once every month or two. I can't fathom having someone milling around my house for 2 full days!

It's actually only 2 days a week for a while. It's pretty filthy now. I really want a lot of work done to get it back up to sparkling clean so we can keep it that way. My last two housekeepers worked a full 7-8 hours (one day a week). I thought it would make the job more appealing. They did laundry, cleaned and put away dishes, did deeper cleaning here and there depending on what needed to be done (fridge, oven, etc). They didn't move super fast but did a very good job.

I'll drop the 8 hour thing from my ad and see if it helps. I thought it would make the job more appealing to have it be a full day. But I am fine if they can work fast and get a lot done in a shorter period of time. Some to think of it, I'd hate to clean a house for 8 hours.

I know people like to give people a hard time...I am not a rotten employer. I pay well, give bonuses, stay out of the way and am very nice. I don't make people pay for things broken by accident. All my housekeepers and sitters have loved me. I appreciate their work. On the other hand, I had one lady here all day and didn't see a single difference. No joke. I paid her but didn't ask her back. The other did an ok job but was scolding like a mom and was very picky about what she was willing to do.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:10 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
It's actually only 2 days a week for a while. It's pretty filthy now. I really want a lot of work done to get it back up to sparkling clean so we can keep it that way. My last two housekeepers worked a full 7-8 hours (one day a week). I thought it would make the job more appealing. They did laundry, cleaned and put away dishes, did deeper cleaning here and there depending on what needed to be done (fridge, oven, etc). They didn't move super fast but did a very good job.

I'll drop the 8 hour thing from my ad and see if it helps. I thought it would make the job more appealing to have it be a full day. But I am fine if they can work fast and get a lot done in a shorter period of time. Some to think of it, I'd hate to clean a house for 8 hours.

I know people like to give people a hard time...I am not a rotten employer. I pay well, give bonuses, stay out of the way and am very nice. I don't make people pay for things broken by accident. All my housekeepers and sitters have loved me. I appreciate their work. On the other hand, I had one lady here all day and didn't see a single difference. No joke. I paid her but didn't ask her back. The other did an ok job but was scolding like a mom and was very picky about what she was willing to do.
I work similar hours. My longest shift is 5 hours for one house. It's a huge one though, and I don't even do it all. It takes time for one cleaner to thoroughly clean a house. If you don't hit every surface at least biweekly,it's going to collect dust and grime. TBH if your cleaning crew is there less then 2 hours you either have a very tiny clean house or your getting the typical "Molly Maid" experience. That's would be a quick spot clean, refusing to clean any surface with stuff on it and a quick spray of air freshener.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:36 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
I work similar hours. My longest shift is 5 hours for one house. It's a huge one though, and I don't even do it all. It takes time for one cleaner to thoroughly clean a house. If you don't hit every surface at least biweekly,it's going to collect dust and grime. TBH if your cleaning crew is there less then 2 hours you either have a very tiny clean house or your getting the typical "Molly Maid" experience. That's would be a quick spot clean, refusing to clean any surface with stuff on it and a quick spray of air freshener.
Yeah I have two large dogs, two messy kids and a very large house. It takes some time. Plus I add laundry and a load of dishes. People racing through is terrible. Or wiping around things. If there is a sock on the floor it needs to be picked up and vaccumed under, then the sock needs to be tossed in a hamper. I don't go for that "cleaning around" junk. And that spray and wipe thing they do leaves grime over time.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:14 PM

5 posts, read 12,302 times
I used CL and she was very good. No problems and I did do a background check. She was an older lady and I didn't mind that at all.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:22 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Really!?! You'd hire someone to be in your home either alone, or with just you, off the internet? I'd be VERY careful.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I've done it 20 times with housekeepers and babysitters off care.com in a big city. Only once was a criminal.

LOL, and that one time should have been enough.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:39 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
i think your problem is you are asking a lot of a person. You say you pay well though so maybe that helps. I know i wouldnt want to spend all day cleaning someones house. Id break it up over a few days. I had a cleaning job of a 3000 sq ft house deep cleaning and i broke it up, not tackling it all in a day.

Old 05-20-2016, 04:39 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,259,079 times
I highly suggest for your own safety to call a Molly Maid or McMaid licensed, bonded and insured company. Please. Or ask a neighbor if they use one. Do NOT let a complete stranger in. Its not worth it.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:51 PM

50 posts, read 33,986 times
I strongly recommend you to get a cleaning company instead. It might be a bit more, BUT usually reputable companies are licensed, insured and bonded. Have you consider looking at companies instead of just individuals?

Old 05-23-2016, 03:27 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,570,318 times
Have you considered cleaning your own house? By the time you do all the reference checking and interviewng it could have been long done.
If not, I'm unemployed and looking in the midwest and I am a ''neat freak''. Give me a call! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment