Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 09:01 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,775,842 times

Advertisements

Somehow companies don't prefer to hire competent/experienced people.
Have you noticed that?

Especially for larger companies that already have a few competent people. Somehow they just want to feed raw meat under them, they dont want new equal members for their teams. They want to grow their staff from scratch and don't want to bring in new perspective.
If you know everything in your field and has done all types of projects, than it can be a disadvantage for job hunt. Lets say you are fully qualified for a job (meet all bullet points on their long list plus a lot more), then they hire some guy who has not done much in his career. They want cheap corporate drones who are easy to control. They want to lift people into position not shift them in. I am not just talking about nepotism where the bosses stupid cousin gets the job, but some cold calculations having similar results.

Any similar experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 09:11 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
As a hiring manager in a key business function, for the most part, I agree with you.

I would rather hire someone who is new, smart, inexperienced and eager.

There are absolutely times when I need experience and some vetran knowhow, but those positions are rare.

The reasons for this are pretty simple, at least to me. I would rather have a top-notch candidate with no bad habits, willing to learn and listen and do things the way I want them done, and then the can move on to bigger and better things in a few years.

If it is for a junior to mid-level position, I don't want average. I want the best person I can find. If you're in your mid-30's or older and have been doing the same job for 10 years, I'm really not that interested, because if you were any good, you would have progressed. Look, the world needs average. I'd just rather not have them on my team if I can help it.

I have a team, and everything I do is for them, and without them I am literally sunk. I treat everyone like an adult and expect professionalism in return. I value their input and ideas, and veteran people, especially if they've been doing things a long time tend to get into a rut and are more resistant to change, but at the end of the day work is not a democracy and things need to get done in the way I need them done, as it's ultimately my ass on the line.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:22 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
If it is for a junior to mid-level position, I don't want average. I want the best person I can find. If you're in your mid-30's or older and have been doing the same job for 10 years, I'm really not that interested, because if you were any good, you would have progressed. Look, the world needs average. I'd just rather not have them on my team if I can help it.
I'm 40 and have been doing the same thing for 10 years. Why? Because I genuinely enjoy what I do. I do not want to "progress" into a management position that would burden my free time and take me away from doing what I enjoy doing and what I kick serious a$$ at.

I'm in no way "average." Any manager I've had would tell you that.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:24 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,775,842 times
One thing I forgot. For the line of work I do, a lot of smart people never make it to become successful experts. Actually very few do. If someone hires smart-looking beginners then the chances of getting the desired end-result is very slim. Then how does the work get done? Certain things can be taught, others cannot. for most positions any smart kids can be trained into, but for few roles its not true.

In some cases they are not just avoiding experienced people, but they are avoiding talented ones with less experience. Maybe for the obvious threat to the manager's career few years later. Its like: "we are hiring you to serve us (the manager and his friends) forever but you will never be our equal".

Old 12-03-2015, 11:28 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
False.

We've interviewed 38 people for the four positions we have open and only filled two because 36 candidates simply didn't have the experience or technical competence necessary.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:21 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,985,438 times
It's pretty simple really. Management doesn't want competiton to their positions and people to make them look stupid. If you are highly competent and a hard worker you are automatically deemed a threat in corporate America. It's much better for them to acquire mindless numbskull "yes men" around spewing company mantras and not challenging status quo than good competent smart people who will challenge their positions and decisions and make them look dumb. They want people they can control. That's all. It's why you always see great employees getting the axe today or being glossed over on promotions while useless butt kissing morons stay on year after year and get promoted to better positions.

They also would rather have clueless numbskulls they can mold and cultivate into something they want. Not anyone with experience who already knows their ******
The key to success in corporate America is networking, establishing reletionships with people in companies that have pull, kissing rear end, NEVER challenging the status quo, and be good golfing buddies with the execs.
Competency doesn't mean jack all in the corporate world today. In fact, it's not a good thing. to have
You think close to 90 percent worker disengagement in the private sector today is just a coincidence?

Last edited by DorianRo; 12-03-2015 at 12:35 PM..

Old 12-03-2015, 02:14 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'm 40 and have been doing the same thing for 10 years. Why? Because I genuinely enjoy what I do. I do not want to "progress" into a management position that would burden my free time and take me away from doing what I enjoy doing and what I kick serious a$$ at.

I'm in no way "average." Any manager I've had would tell you that.
And that's great. I think it's amazing when people find something that they truly love to do, because it is so rare.

My personal preference is to have people that want my job and will challenge me, what we do, and push the end result higher.

I'd be thrilled but disappointed if one of my people wanted to just keep doing what they're doing. They're incredibly competent, but are capable of so much more.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:29 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,985,438 times
Quote:
And that's great. I think it's amazing when people find something that they truly love to do, because it is so rare.

My personal preference is to have people that want my job and will challenge me, what we do, and push the end result higher.

I'd be thrilled but disappointed if one of my people wanted to just keep doing what they're doing. They're incredibly competent, but are capable of so much more.
Wow you're a rare breed of a manger who has a personal preference of acquiring employees who would want your job. The nature of corporate jobs these are self preservation of their jobs and management to keep those out who may challenge them.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:56 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:

I don't want my manager's job. His job sucks.

Also, talented employees are fully capable of raising the bar without trying to take their manager's job.

Am I capable of doing his job? Of course. Could I do it better than he does? Absolutely. Does it mean I want it? NO WAY. An extra $30k a year, having to travel halfway around the world a couple of times a year to visit our overseas offices, and 60-80 hour work weeks mainly stuck in meetings dealing with morons aren't worth it to me.

Old 12-03-2015, 03:01 PM

29,818 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Have you noticed that?

Especially for larger companies that already have a few competent people. Somehow they just want to feed raw meat under them, they dont want new equal members for their teams. They want to grow their staff from scratch and don't want to bring in new perspective.
If you know everything in your field and has done all types of projects, than it can be a disadvantage for job hunt. Lets say you are fully qualified for a job (meet all bullet points on their long list plus a lot more), then they hire some guy who has not done much in his career. They want cheap corporate drones who are easy to control. They want to lift people into position not shift them in. I am not just talking about nepotism where the bosses stupid cousin gets the job, but some cold calculations having similar results.

Any similar experiences?
Not been my experience. Companies are demanding experience, because experienced workers are less likely to hurt themselves and less likely to make other costly mistakes. I don't even see how someone can do my job without at least a few years of dedicated training and experience, and most companies are asking for 5-10 years experience for my job.

I have not worked for many large companies. Was not impressed by the few larger companies I have worked for. Most of them don't pay diddly anymore. I'm not sure how everyone else is doing, but I know workers with 30 years experience working for large corporations, and still making what they were making 20 years ago. It's appalling, and large corporations know they can pay less by promising job security (which they cannot).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I don't want my manager's job. His job sucks.

Also, talented employees are fully capable of raising the bar without trying to take their manager's job.

Am I capable of doing his job? Of course. Could I do it better than he does? Absolutely. Does it mean I want it? NO WAY. An extra $30k a year, having to travel halfway around the world a couple of times a year to visit our overseas offices, and 60-80 hour work weeks mainly stuck in meetings dealing with morons aren't worth it to me.
Lol, I had some corporation calling me, wanting to know how I felt about traveling around the world. Then they proceed to insult me with a salary offer that is less than what I made on my hourly jobs last year. Many of these HR folk, management, maybe even CEOs are clueless when it comes to fair compensation. They only care about their budgets, which is why they are often forced to settle for less, when it comes to qualified talent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment