Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 05:56 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
"Competent people" don't work for shameful wages!
Where did you get that idea? In an employer's market, competence is no shield against the power imbalance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 06:39 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,612,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Where did you get that idea? In an employer's market, competence is no shield against the power imbalance.
In that case, I'll have to question their "competency" of asking for what's theirs.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:40 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
I respect the fact that you feel compelled to do so. My point was that not everyone has the advantages and privilege that your comments make it seem like you enjoy. Your implicit assumption that they do leads you into logical fallacies, such as affirming the consequent. (This is what such a fallacy looks like: "Incompetent people get paid shameful wages. There are people who get paid shameful wages. Therefore, they must be incompetent.")

Old 12-04-2015, 07:38 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,095,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
In that case, I'll have to question their "competency" of asking for what's theirs.

Its called feeding a family and keeping insurance current. Of course if the economy picks up they will be looking at other opportunities.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:45 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Not been my experience. Companies are demanding experience, because experienced workers are less likely to hurt themselves and less likely to make other costly mistakes. I don't even see how someone can do my job without at least a few years of dedicated training and experience, and most companies are asking for 5-10 years experience for my job.
Exactly my experience and completely opposite of what the OP stated. If anything, companies inflate experience requirements beyond what is probably needed to be a productive employee.

Old 12-04-2015, 11:21 AM

850 posts, read 902,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Exactly my experience and completely opposite of what the OP stated. If anything, companies inflate experience requirements beyond what is probably needed to be a productive employee.
Agreed. Most job postings say they need 3-5 years of relevant experience but actually only want or need a year of experience. That is their way of reducing the number of applicants. There are two types of companies out there. The company that wants several years of experience in that particular job so they don't have to provide any training at all and the new hire can immediately hit the ground running.

The other company is the one looking for fresh 22 year old college grads that are eager or have the ability to learn, has a good attitude, has good work ethics, and the right personality fit. This company will train their person from scratch and mold them into the type of employee they want them to be and make sure they don't have any bad habits. These companies like young inexperienced workers because they can pay them significantly less than an experienced worker.

Overall there tends to be more companies out there wanting turn key employees who already have a few years of experience under their belt over training the inexperienced worker. Reason why some fresh college graduates with no work experience/internships have a tough time finding a full time position in their field of study that pays decent money.

Old 12-04-2015, 12:26 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Its called feeding a family and keeping insurance current. Of course if the economy picks up they will be looking at other opportunities.
How long of an if is that? The economy HAS picked up outside of current oil industry...

Just going to wait until someone looks for you, or take a more active role in searching?

People can only blame a bad economy for so long... and even during bad times, people can still go okay if they try at it. Sure they won't be happy with job, but it isn't like there are no jobs... they just want a "happy" job? So they turn down what they get and just prolong their perception of a bad economy

Old 12-04-2015, 01:24 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
No, I haven't noticed that. But I have noticed that unemployed people will come up with ridiculous excuses for their lack of success.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:38 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,167 times
You simply have to be better than the other candidates. I don't complain anymore because I have the ability to change my future.

I have confidence in myself to pull it off, despite my failures.

Sometimes you have to reach inside and think.'What can I do better'?

Old 12-04-2015, 02:45 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,275,373 times
For companies with insecure and unconfident mgmt. , their best method of survival is to hire those perceived as less of a threat than going the route of hiring exceptional talent. At the end of the day, it is all about survival in the workplace. If , say your underlings outshine you, then you run the risk of likely being replaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment