Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 02:44 AM

34 posts, read 33,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I agree with getting another attorney.

Stuff like that has happened here, and it was major news. I assume you pressed charges? What she did could bring serious jail time. If so, it will be public record. It's embezzlement.

You have a responsibility to notify the parents, especially after the butt-grabbing.

Anything else will look like a cover-up, which could ruin your program.

Forbes Welcome

The butt-grabbing is sort of common in some circles.

I've had a random guy at a barbeque one time just slap my butt and say "What's up?" as a greeting.

It took me way off guard, but I just ignored him and that was the end of it.

And that on it's own wouldn't break a law anyway, so I'm not sure what the point of telling the parents is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
In the opinion of the attorney, it can't be. Just to play devil's advocate, the butt grab could be her word against the kid's. You can't go around spreading rumors about people. The league could get sued. If enough people know, word will get around without the league saying anything.

I don't think the coach would have been fired for that though.

The stealing is pretty concrete though and can easily be told.

And you can't go spreading rumors about people? Isn't that what the news does all the time and they never get fired!

Old 12-04-2015, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Good point, but if the butt grab wasn't reported, and this person wasn't convicted of anything, they can't go around saying that she did it. Same for the embezzlement. The league needs to be all in or all out. Report it all to the police or don't say anything.
That is total BS. If someone stole, they stole.

You act as if it isn't reported to police, it didn't happen.

Old 12-04-2015, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestlaxer View Post
The coach has all the players from her old team. No one knows of her misconduct other than the board. A decision was made to not press charges.

Maybe if the board had an alternate coach lined up, the parents would have stayed.

Did you expect their kids to sit out a year because your board couldn't get its act together?

Old 12-04-2015, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I'm going to guess that there's no proof of her theft and that's why the lawyer said you have to keep quiet about it. You could be liable for defamation if your intent is to ruin her reputation or business.

What about sending a simple letter to the parents saying something like, "If you decide you're ever unhappy with the new team, we'd love to have you back."

That is not defamation, but it might get people talking.

If you lost your team, though, they must like her. Without hearing all sides, it's hard to know what really happened.

Yeah, like moms REALLY keep quiet about everything!

And if she did that stuff for 4 years, she probably is super guilty about it, so I really doubt she would press a defamation suit. She probably does not even know how to spell that word.

And no, that letter is a terrible idea. If they know nothing about the stealing, why would they leave their current team?

People would get that letter and say, "Wow, that league must be desperate." followed by 30 minutes of people ripping your organization and then moving on.

Old 12-04-2015, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
And you live with the decisions you make. Failing to prosecute is pretty common with youth, civic and religious groups. Grabbing the girl's butt was a crime and should have been reported to the authorities. You can ignore someone stealing your stuff all you want -- you have an obligation to report inappropriate physical contact.

The opposite is true.

There are connotations of butt-grabbing that are not sexual. There is so much room for interpretation there. That will not win in a case.

Stealing is pretty black/white. No one would argue that stealing is OK.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:40 AM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,466 times
If she stole all that stuff were charges filed? Anything you can PROVE can be communicated publicly, doesn't seem to apply in this case, hence the advice from your lawyer.

As far as the butt grab and lesbian joke, personally I think it is more of a parent/kid mad they were cut, benched, etc. ..

If she is such a terrible coach/thief/sexual predator how did she manage to "steal" all the best players?

Old 12-04-2015, 05:57 AM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestlaxer View Post
The coach has all the players from her old team. No one knows of her misconduct other than the board. A decision was made to not press charges.

And that's where you screwed up. If she was stealing from the club charges should have been filed. End of discussion.

That happens fairly frequently here.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:03 AM

101 posts, read 141,089 times
If that's true about her grabbing a child's butt, you should report it to the police immediately. That's a sexual assault on a minor and is a serious crime. Honestly, I don't know how you could live with yourself with allowing a child sexual predator to get away from punishment.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:14 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Definitely think charges should be fired. If these kinds of allegations are true, community sentiment should fall in line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment