Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 09:28 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times

Advertisements

Huh, maybe I'm clueless but it sounds to me like possibly one or more of your new co-workers thinks you are trying too hard, maybe you seem like a snob to them. Some of your descriptions of them do sound pretty condescending (heifer), do you come across that way at work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 10:35 AM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicturtle View Post
All small businesses are worse than the corporate world. At least in corporate america there is the pretense of rules and structure.
This is not necessarily true. There is a pretty hostile middle aged woman in HR at a fortune 25 company where I used to work. She was quite similar to the Rosanne type character in this thread and she manages to continue to operate in the manner she does due to pretty much everyone being afraid of her. The company has an open door policy and a whistle blower website, yet reports are ignored.

My previous company location was similar to the OP's, complete with people shopping online, running personal side businesses out in the open during their work hours, stealing food/supplies, HR clerk telling employee's personal information to whomever was near her, speaking of their medical conditions and/or their medications, etc. There was a man who died in a house fire and the day after his funeral she was on the phone with another employee and quite loudly in an office full of people said he probably didn't wake up (thus dying) because he was on so many meds and anti-depressants. Huge HIPAA violations but nothing happened.

Old 12-13-2015, 11:13 AM

367 posts, read 458,227 times
Just ignore Roseanne the best that you can, you're new and probably in a better position then her. You're younger and probably better looking so you will bring out the most bitter side of Roseanne. She's probably always been territorial, but she will especially be like that towards you. Just concentrate on your job, if you do it well, you're generating sales, and nothing will turn those other people (not Roseanne, she's just a jealous bitter, you know what) around more then letting your work do the talking.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:38 PM

563 posts, read 524,392 times
If this job is important to you, you should try to acclimate. These are your new coworkers, your new work family as it were. If you like the work or it will enhance your resume, learn to deal with the people. It is not a popularity contest. You were hired and remain hired for some reason. That is what your focus should be if you decide to stay with this company. Eventually, you will be included. It just takes time. So, smile! Some one values you enough to keep you on the payroll. At this point, what else really matters?

Old 12-13-2015, 03:03 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcitygirl84 View Post
Agree! If everyone is in the 'clique', including President and my immediate boss, there's no point in me bringing it up that i have an issue or there's something wrong with one or two of the employees. Word will spread like wild fire and retaliation will follow.

Sprucing up my resume as I am typing this. LOL
In the meantime start dressing down. From what you have described so far I would go that route.

As far as that woman who gives you a hard time(Roseanne), give it right back to her and do it in front of an audience.

Here's one for you "Did anyone ever tell you that you remind them of Roseanne, looks wise, but not nearly as funny" and walk away.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:11 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica2099 View Post
Just ignore Roseanne the best that you can, you're new and probably in a better position then her. You're younger and probably better looking so you will bring out the most bitter side of Roseanne. She's probably always been territorial, but she will especially be like that towards you. Just concentrate on your job, if you do it well, you're generating sales, and nothing will turn those other people (not Roseanne, she's just a jealous bitter, you know what) around more then letting your work do the talking.
You're right about Roseanne on the resentment part. She is jealous of the OP who is younger, prettier, and better educated.

But your wrong on the ignore part. You give them a dig back(like the one I said above) and you do it in front of others. It will serve two purposes, it shows you won't put up with any crap from her(that will throw her), and it will more than likely end the teasing.

I had a similar situation years ago. I stood up to the person with a sarcastic comment back in front of a few others(this guy was known to do this and he was higher up in the company), nipped it right in the bud. I remember one time a few weeks later as he called out my name as I walked by his office, I said "did you need something? "......"oh no, just wanted to say hello"......LOL.

He either admired me for standing up to him, or thought I was nuts to talk back to him like that.

Either way it ended the problem.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:25 PM

393 posts, read 360,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Huh, maybe I'm clueless but it sounds to me like possibly one or more of your new co-workers thinks you are trying too hard, maybe you seem like a snob to them. Some of your descriptions of them do sound pretty condescending (heifer), do you come across that way at work?
From what I have seen, not only in the working world but the world in general...stupid people think that everyone is condescending and looking down on them, whether they are or not.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:50 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
Quote:
Agree! This company is small and just found out that in the past year, 3 people left. That's a high turn over rate for a company with <30 people ( 15 that work in the office and the other 15 work off site ). Having no real HR sucks!
You've mentioned HR several times already. Other posters have said, and I will emphasize....HR IS NOT YOUR FRIEND. They exist to protect the company. NOT the employee. Having a HR dept or not isn't going to help you....you are in a toxic work environment in which you do not fit in. I'd venture to say someone had their eye on your position before you got it, and there's an undercurrent of resentment. Time to move on.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:56 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,581,435 times
Quote:
Need advice:

I've been at my job for a couple of months now working as a national sales director . I'm cordial, respectful, educatd (have my MBA). I dress business casual with slacks and conservative nice top. I am also the youngest. I usually get along well with others (i still keep in touch with everyone from my past jobs) but this company is different.

My current job where I work at is fairly small <30 people. Very casual dress.

One of the women I work with (from another department) likes to make sarcastic remarks to me (talking to me as if I am a 4 year old) sayin "awww, you look so purrrfect today. you match with your perfect shoes, perfect hair , perfect makeup. so purrrtyyyy. I want to be just like you " and she will just belt out this crazy long laugh (similar to Roseanne and yes, she looks just like her). She will also give me weird glances at times.

Another time, she said "you know, some people in sales are just fake, especially the way they act" and she will laugh and look at my boss as if it was some sort of inside joke between them. Wow, I felt so uncomfortable.

I dont really talk to her about anything except the weather, what I did over the weekend- you know, small talk stuff.

There was also a meeting today in which the President and some of my coworkers were having. The doors were open and I passed by. The president said my name , whispered something for a minute and then everyone started laughing hard. Not sure what was said about me but I'm speculating it's nothing good.

Majority of them go out for lunch together but they never invite me. They all walk out together. I feel embarrassed and walk out alone.

I've tried to make conversation and say "what's a good place to eat around here? let me know if you want to go to lunch." but nothing ever comes from that.

Also, I've noticed that when I first started working there people seemed genuine and now, they avoid me when I try to make a conversation.

What would you do if you were me? There's no real HR at my company. I dont want to ruffle any feathers. I need this job.

Am I being bullied? Singled out? How would you react?

Maybe I'm not the best one to give advice in this department, but perhaps you should just ignore it. Be really nice, act like you are proud of your faults, and make improvements when obvious occasions to do so come up. I work in Education, and teachers can sometimes be "mean girls." Just ignore it if you can. Laugh at a joke made about you, and show your humility. Perhaps that will send the message that you understand they were all in your shoes once. Ask questions if you don't understand something, and be super-friendly. Smile at any available occasion. Some people think you are rude if you don't smile a lot, which is something I have yet to understand.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:18 PM

367 posts, read 458,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
But your wrong on the ignore part. You give them a dig back(like the one I said above) and you do it in front of others. It will serve two purposes, it shows you won't put up with any crap from her(that will throw her), and it will more than likely end the teasing.
I don't disagree with that, but you have to have the right kind of personality to pull that off. I can, you obviously do (I do like you're idea for a dig back at her), but I am not sure the OP does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment