Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 12:08 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
How odd. There was an almost identical post over at Stack Exchange. The differences were pretty minor, as the story seems pretty much the same.

Well, whatever. I concur with those who, based on what has been told us, think the workplace is rather hostile. Best advice is to keep your head down and your resume out on the street. Leave asap. Something is wrong here.

What is the stack exchange??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2015, 07:14 AM

126 posts, read 206,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcitygirl84 View Post
Yes, I agree...very much high school mentality. There is a "ring leader" in the group, which is the Roseanne look-a-like foul mouth chick. She basically walks all over everyone and they just , for some reason, take it.

My friends have told me that it's jealousy but I dont know.

All I know is that I feel queasy coming into work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
What is the stack exchange??

I'm interested to see what the person posted on Stack Exchange.

Anyhow, I am off to work with a queasy stomach (again). I've got a company holiday party coming up (ugh!) so I'll be spending not 8, BUT 12 hours with these people

Thank you all that have responded. I really appreciate your advice.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:19 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times
Quote:
I'm interested to see what the person posted on Stack Exchange.

Anyhow, I am off to work with a queasy stomach (again). I've got a company holiday party coming up (ugh!) so I'll be spending not 8, BUT 12 hours with these people

Thank you all that have responded. I really appreciate your advice.

I feel yer pain! Every Sunday I get overwhelmed with a feeling of depression that is almost debilitating. I hope the best for you! For the party, remember: Booze is your friend!!!!
Good luck!

Old 12-14-2015, 08:28 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica2099 View Post
Let your sales do the talking for a while. You are in a position where you win these people over with your quality of work.

If it doesn't get better, look for another job, a better job, then when you leave: include a Starbucks Coffee with your notice and tell the boss, "You'll still have your coffee, and I have a client list to move on with! A win/win!"
Except don't mention the "and I have a client list" part. The company will likely state that the list is their intellectual property and you can't have it. Now of course if you have a great memory it's fine to "remember" those contacts but it's not kosher to take home company property like this.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:39 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
You're a national sales director?

Who's the co-worker mocking you? The chief financial officer? The special assistant to the president?

Something sounds fishy about your story. First off, if you're the national sales director, you must be working in the corporate front office. Not exactly a lower rung on the scale I'd imagine... not populated by low-class people who got hired through the want ads or Monster dot com. But people with some education who actually know how to use a salad fork.

But.... if your story is true... you need to put some people in their places. I'd tell that catty BEE-ITCH to mind her manners or she'll be looking for work come Christmas time. Then she won't need to worry about your clothes and makeup.
I'm on board with this. Either you're upper middle management/executive or not. Who do you report to? I gotta say, I'd be concerned if our national sales director couldn't stick up for themselves when the going got tough.

And as far as casual/cursing/etc. a lot of that is industry dependent. If you're in O&G, you better be up to speed on the latest swears. That, or just work with a bunch of Canadians for a while. We're awful. Almost as bad as the English.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:58 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
How are you doing? What are your numbers? Who cares what the others in the company are doing, find ways to beet them in the performance department. Be better at your job then they are.

Do you have sales goals? What are you doing to improve them?

You are always going to have people trying to keep you down. You are always going to have people try to bring you down to their level.

You mentioned having an MBA. What is the educational level of everyone else? Do they all have graduate degrees? Does the ring leader have a degree? I knew of a small company that was growing and decided that they had to have new hires with graduate degrees. Many that were there from the start were thinking that they themselves did not have a degree and since they had built the company or were a part of its growth that anyone with a degree could not possibly do what they had done. They played the same games. Eventually they lost that game.

Take what you know and win. Leave them in the dust. Compete with them. Only look to the top two leaders in sales in the company and beet their numbers.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:23 AM

694 posts, read 1,203,602 times
Definitely a culture clash-you are smart, educated, hard-working and polished. They are low-life trash. Get out and make sure you find a company that has culture compatible with your credentials. Don't try to change the situation here, it's not going to work-the place is too small, there is no real chain of command or room to vent your feelings to someone, no due process to deal with people/situations like yours. Just be careful in the future.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:23 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
Quote:
Need advice:

I've been at my job for a couple of months now working as a national sales director . I'm cordial, respectful, educatd (have my MBA). I dress business casual with slacks and conservative nice top. I am also the youngest. I usually get along well with others (i still keep in touch with everyone from my past jobs) but this company is different.

My current job where I work at is fairly small <30 people. Very casual dress.

One of the women I work with (from another department) likes to make sarcastic remarks to me (talking to me as if I am a 4 year old) sayin "awww, you look so purrrfect today. you match with your perfect shoes, perfect hair , perfect makeup. so purrrtyyyy. I want to be just like you " and she will just belt out this crazy long laugh (similar to Roseanne and yes, she looks just like her). She will also give me weird glances at times.

Another time, she said "you know, some people in sales are just fake, especially the way they act" and she will laugh and look at my boss as if it was some sort of inside joke between them. Wow, I felt so uncomfortable.

I dont really talk to her about anything except the weather, what I did over the weekend- you know, small talk stuff.

There was also a meeting today in which the President and some of my coworkers were having. The doors were open and I passed by. The president said my name , whispered something for a minute and then everyone started laughing hard. Not sure what was said about me but I'm speculating it's nothing good.

Majority of them go out for lunch together but they never invite me. They all walk out together. I feel embarrassed and walk out alone.

I've tried to make conversation and say "what's a good place to eat around here? let me know if you want to go to lunch." but nothing ever comes from that.

Also, I've noticed that when I first started working there people seemed genuine and now, they avoid me when I try to make a conversation.

What would you do if you were me? There's no real HR at my company. I dont want to ruffle any feathers. I need this job.

Am I being bullied? Singled out? How would you react?
If you need this job, then counter them. Give them the taste of their own PJ's.

And did you get the job by any insider means or genuinely??

Old 12-14-2015, 01:34 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
I feel yer pain! Every Sunday I get overwhelmed with a feeling of depression that is almost debilitating. I hope the best for you! For the party, remember: Booze is your friend!!!!
Good luck!

At a company party, booze is your worst enemy. The last thing you want is to give them more ammunition to use against you. Drink nothing but water or soda and keep your wits about you, even if -- especially if -- everyone else becomes sloshed.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:32 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,333,598 times
If you are in some sort of sales, you do not need to sweat, especially if you are good at doing just that........Sales. I just don't know how you can't get another type of sales position elsewhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment