Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 655 times

Advertisements

It seems to me, that in order for you to succeed in a job you must be a butt kisser to get on management's good side. I have never done that and never will, I have been fired from multiple jobs because I would not kiss their butts or go drinking with them, I do not drink so why go out.
The last boss that fired me apparently had a problem with me, he moved me from first shift to second shift without talking to me about it promised me a raise and gave me second shift supervisor position because he said I earned it, and I agreed with him since I was there a year before he was. So I took the position and fixed a lot of the problems that were there, like getting rid of the people that were drinking on the job selling drugs and all the slackers that wouldn't do anything, and started off with a fresh crew. We would have all the trailers loaded the warehouse cleaned, then they asked me to start coming in an hour early to get the ups, FedEx, etc. ready because supposedly the first shift supervisor and his crew were too busy, doing what, who knows, I would walk in and they'd all be in the office sitting around laughing and joking around and the supervisor would say we knocked out all these trailers and they were busting there butts all day and he got upset when I told him those were the trailers we had loaded up so what have you guys been doing all day that I have to come in an hour early, and he didn't like it one bit, so he went crying to the manager and had me fired for insubordination. I knew something was up so I got my phone ready and recorded the whole conversation that led to my dismissal, and took it to the Unemployment office and won my claim for $9000.00 dollars because that was not a good enough reason to fire me.
Turns out one of my co-workers from that place told me the manager asked him to talk to me and that if I would consider going back and be the first and second shift supervisor after he realized the work had backed up and that I was actually the one getting the work out , I refused to go back because I not be comfortable being there.

Just keep your head up, and do your work just don't give them your best because that is what they will expect from you always and if they don't get it you're a problem to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 01:10 PM

213 posts, read 204,942 times
My first job was sign-waving. I had 3 superiors. One was a nice lady, by the books. One was a not-so-nice, but not mean either woman, also by the books. One was the owner. The owner was a "chill" dude who listened to rap and gave me the impression of someone who smoked weed. If you were his friend you could clock in and just leave to do other things. I wasn't his friend. Still, he was pretty relaxed, and let you slide. Letting you "slide" was mainly things like: Letting you wear the costume partially on hot days, letting you come in before clocking out a little earlier and allowing you to use signs that were lighter in weight to wield. He himself was often 10 minutes late. Unless one of the by-the-books ladies was around. Then he got a harassed look on his face and started nagging you. For an owner he seemed awful subservient to one of his employees.

My second, and current, job has a butt-kisser. Luckily (yes, luckily) he was promoted recently. Before his promotion we had the same duties, and there were many instances where I had to pick up his slack. We have a scheduled Sweep Duty where we are to sweep the store, clean the bathrooms and round up the carts. He never cleaned the bathrooms leaving whoever had Sweep Duty after him extra (disgusting) work to do. When I told one of my (least favorite) supervisors about it she gave me a dubious look and told me to go clean the bathroom instead, even though I wasn't on Sweep Duty. I begrudgingly went to clean the filthy bathroom. When he completed his sweeps he left the dirt and garbage in a large pile instead of sweeping it up into the provided dust pan and throwing it in the trash can like a normal person would do. Even though he was a bagger like me, he might as well not have been since he was never around. He spent a large majority of his time chatting up the female employees. To put a long story short he is pretty darn lousy.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:28 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,301,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergec View Post
Just keep your head up, and do your work just don't give them your best because that is what they will expect from you always and if they don't get it you're a problem to them.
OR, do your best, work well as a team with your superiors, and get rewarded with promotions and raises, in addition to bonuses and unofficial perks like being able to work from home or take PTO without asking permission first. /first hand experience

Old 03-11-2016, 01:39 PM

901 posts, read 747,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
OR, do your best, work well as a team with your superiors, and get rewarded with promotions and raises, in addition to bonuses and unofficial perks like being able to work from home or take PTO without asking permission first. /first hand experience
Agree, always do your best, not just for someone else, but for you own self esteem and pride.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:50 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,740,695 times
Maybe if you follow the rules and take care of your own side of the street instead of worrying about others, your next job will not require floor sweeping or a costume.

Old 03-11-2016, 09:14 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,148,787 times
Or just become an engineer. Then you won't have to deal with all that non-sense.

Old 03-12-2016, 01:56 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,791,878 times
Or win the lottery and forget working...

Old 03-12-2016, 02:41 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,547,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Or win the lottery and forget working...
or save/invest on your own...

Old 03-12-2016, 03:04 PM

589 posts, read 696,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Or just become an engineer. Then you won't have to deal with all that non-sense.
The only way you don't have to deal with office politics is by becoming self-employed.

Old 03-12-2016, 03:27 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Maybe if you follow the rules and take care of your own side of the street instead of worrying about others, your next job will not require floor sweeping or a costume.
This.

I sense an underlying sense of hostility and aggression in the OP's tone in describing his personality and job.

That's fine you don't want to go out drinking with co-workers. I never do either.

But I certainly didn't go around questioning superior's requests and orders, or let my ego get in the way of not antagonizing others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment