Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2015, 12:13 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times

Advertisements

So I usually am not in this forum as I am only a college student but since I'm graduating soon I have done a lot of research on job postings for entry-level workers in my prospective field. My prospective field requires a lot of credentials even for entry-level candidates (usually around 3, really depends on the position, the field is broad). All of the credentials that are required are offered through one association in this field. The association offers an "in-training" option for all credentials and certifications to those who meet the education requirements but not the work experience. What happens is if you take the exam and pass, you get the "in-training" credential, then they give you three years to make the required two years of work experience, and then they give you the full credential.

What is your opinion on this? I can't find jobs that are "true" entry-level since they require these credentials that require two years and they usually list at least one year experience required. I thought going after these credentials would make me more marketable and technically I would be certified, just lack the work experience. But the credentials are expensive (for non-members it would be $400+ for each credential, rates are a little different depending on which credential) so I don't want to waste money attaining these if they won't make me marketable. I could also join the membership, which would significantly reduce the costs for the credentials by about half each, and yearly membership does not seem expensive for students at $15/year but I will be graduating soon and it will increase to $95/year. Joining the association seems like the cost-effective option (especially since there are many other benefits besides reduced costs on credentials, so I might do it anyway), but then again I don't want to waste money if these credentials are not going to help me land my first "real" job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 07:21 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
People could anser you more effectively if they knew exactly what you werev trying to do. What is your degree in and what type of job are you trying to get?

Old 12-22-2015, 03:22 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,884,819 times
Your post is extremely vague so it is hard to offer any concrete advice. But if the credentials are required for entry-level jobs in your field it would seem clear that you need to get them in order to be employable.

Old 12-22-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulGal View Post
Your post is extremely vague so it is hard to offer any concrete advice. But if the credentials are required for entry-level jobs in your field it would seem clear that you need to get them in order to be employable.
Yes it just seems to cost a lot....

My degree will be in Public Health, and I'm trying to work in the environmental health field. The association is the NEHA if that is any more helpful. I haven't narrowed myself down to an exact job within this field specifically since I want to keep my options as wide as possible. If you do look at the website, it is credentials, not certifications, the certifications are all for food safety I believe and I wouldn't need those.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:41 PM

No one else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment