Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 10:12 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,969,198 times

Advertisements

At some point all workers need to unite but it won't happen. This is a good read but some will deny it.

The Astonishing Discriminatory Tactics of Companies Hiring Temp Workers: Black Applicants Losing Out Big Time | Alternet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 01:30 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,910,431 times
I saw this earlier this week. Ridiculous. And disappointing. But it goes to show, you can do all the right things and still get screwed.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:26 AM

684 posts, read 714,623 times
I am up here in NYC, and i don't know what racism is like down south. "Don't send me any black thugs" does not mean "we are not hiring black people to me". after graduation i was harassed by temp agencies and it was hard to get em to stop bothering me.

I understand that the concept of a professional temp work is for people who want to build a resume and get references. Temp recruiters themselves are not very good, they are probably at the bottom of the recruiting industry. Temp jobs are often misrepresented so if you are looking for a temp job to get experience in a skill, you might find a miscommunication in the job spec.

But yes, dealing with temp agencies is very dreadful and annoying...

Racial slurs and profanity... I have a person harassing my phone and email, and I need this person to buzz off, so i will use racial slurs and profanity and will even threaten to murder the caller family if I ever hear from this company again... It's all good as long as they stop bothering you

Anyways, my point is that temp agencies are really bad, and do not command respect (skin color has less to do with it)

Old 01-18-2016, 09:03 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,444,639 times
That is pretty typical. Temp agencies cater to the lowest scum companies and are often used to evade employment regulations. You shift the liability for your deplorable and unethical personnel practices to a temp agency.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:18 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,282,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
At some point all workers need to unite but it won't happen. This is a good read but some will deny it.

]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The5thOfNovemner View Post
I am up here in NYC, and i don't know what racism is like down south. "Don't send me any black thugs" does not mean "we are not hiring black people to me". after graduation i was harassed by temp agencies and it was hard to get em to stop bothering me.

I understand that the concept of a professional temp work is for people who want to build a resume and get references. Temp recruiters themselves are not very good, they are probably at the bottom of the recruiting industry. Temp jobs are often misrepresented so if you are looking for a temp job to get experience in a skill, you might find a miscommunication in the job spec.

But yes, dealing with temp agencies is very dreadful and annoying...

Racial slurs and profanity... I have a person harassing my phone and email, and I need this person to buzz off, so i will use racial slurs and profanity and will even threaten to murder the caller family if I ever hear from this company again... It's all good as long as they stop bothering you

Anyways, my point is that temp agencies are really bad, and do not command respect (skin color has less to do with it)
Some are denying it already.

As a black woman, I will say that every permanent job I have held outside of the military began as a temp position first.

But, this should not come as a surprise to anyone.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:17 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,452,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
That is pretty typical. Temp agencies cater to the lowest scum companies and are often used to evade employment regulations. You shift the liability for your deplorable and unethical personnel practices to a temp agency.

If that's true, then that's the loophole that needs to be closed, because the most effective way to stop employment discrimination is to hit companies engaged in it financially.

But, I don't really get how they are shifting their liability because the discrimination described would be even easier to spot or prove at the employing company rather than all the covert stuff at the temp agency.

I mean if you have a mid to large size company and all your employees are white that's a pretty dead give away.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:00 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,910,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
[/b]

If that's true, then that's the loophole that needs to be closed, because the most effective way to stop employment discrimination is to hit companies engaged in it financially.

But, I don't really get how they are shifting their liability because the discrimination described would be even easier to spot or prove at the employing company rather than all the covert stuff at the temp agency.

I mean if you have a mid to large size company and all your employees are white that's a pretty dead give away.
Two separate issues. Some companies hire a lot of temp employees to skip paying for benefits and the like. Temp employees means you don't have to front fir disability, maternity leave, health insurance ce and retirement. Etc.

And then there is racism in the hiring process.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:36 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,071,953 times
Number of complaints EEOC received in fiscal 2014 (latest year available): 88,788. Number of those EEOC decided to pursue (file a lawsuit): 133. Source: EEOC Releases Fiscal Year 2014* Enforcement and Litigation Data

Now, does discrimination still exist? Absolutely. Have companies gotten better at playing the game? Absolutely. But, I'd argue that is not because there is more or less discrimination, but because employees are looked upon merely as an asset, and the risk is priced accordingly.

Want to get out of situations this article portrays? Get out of the temp game all together.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:39 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,385,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
[/b]

The employer's are shifting liability since the workers are employees of the temp agency. The employer/customer can verbally tell the temp agency recruiter to not send blacks, for example, and count on the temp agency to keep quiet and there will be no documentary evidence. I thought the article explained it well, though some of the recruiters had enough integrity to speak out so keeping quiet doesn't always work apparently.

OP, thanks for posting, it was a long but thorough article that confirmed what many of us, who live in the real world, already suspected.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:43 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,385,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
Number of complaints EEOC received in fiscal 2014 (latest year available): 88,788. Number of those EEOC decided to pursue (file a lawsuit): 133. Source: EEOC Releases Fiscal Year 2014* Enforcement and Litigation Data

Now, does discrimination still exist? Absolutely. Have companies gotten better at playing the game? Absolutely. But, I'd argue that is not because there is more or less discrimination, but because employees are looked upon merely as an asset, and the risk is priced accordingly.

Want to get out of situations this article portrays? Get out of the temp game all together.
So you're saying that these companies that blatantly told temp agencies to discriminate don't employ discrimination when hiring their full time employees directly? You're saying this mentality totally disappears when hiring their own employees?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment