Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2016, 06:42 AM

599 posts, read 693,690 times

Advertisements

I've been at my current job for over 5yrs, have been promoted, acquired more staff and recently got a raise. I spend long hrs at my job meeting quotas and daily deadlines while ensuring intense micromanaging from my corporate office daily. I'm totally burnt out, I want to quit but can't because I'll be taking a major pay cut and I'm too exhausted to take the time to find a job. Being a single parent with no family help makes if even more difficult and to manage all these employees, who don't put the work in and only last for 6 months then poof their gone and then I'm back to interviewing again, training newbies again. I just can't do this anymore, I feel like I'm going to have a nervous breakdown. I feel trapped. I really want a brand new career with less paper work, less stress, more time at home being an attentative parent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 07:29 AM

29,523 posts, read 22,680,154 times
What to do?

Start looking for another job, and then quit when you find a better one.

Finding a new job can take a while these days.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:44 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times
Make a list of what you want.
Identify positions that meet your requirements.
Get the skills /background to meet the requirements
Apply for the appropriate positions and be open to looking nationwide for opportunities

There is no need to take a pay cut.

Old 03-03-2016, 08:00 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,382,899 times
Think about working with a recruiter and let them shop around your resume for you.

But at a minimum you really need to find time to job search. Today it's not that difficult and time consuming with all of the job sites out there. Once you have your resume updated and a template for your cover letter, you simply need to make slight adjustments here and there before submitting them. Make an hour out of your day dedicated to finding another job. You might have to give up that time with your child(ren) but in the long run you'll be happy you did.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:53 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,665,551 times
Self-care first. Eating better, more relaxing, more exercising, anything to make you feel better firstly. Pay people to do stuff for you at home, etc. When you're totally burned out, you can't tackle problems as well. Find out what would make you feel better and start working towards it, even if baby steps. You have to start your way towards feeling more in control. Feeling trapped means others are controlling you. Good pay is great, but mental health is priceless. Good luck.

Old 03-03-2016, 02:59 PM
ERH

1,701 posts, read 2,533,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Self-care first. Eating better, more relaxing, more exercising, anything to make you feel better firstly. Pay people to do stuff for you at home, etc. When you're totally burned out, you can't tackle problems as well. Find out what would make you feel better and start working towards it, even if baby steps. You have to start your way towards feeling more in control. Feeling trapped means others are controlling you. Good pay is great, but mental health is priceless. Good luck.
Excellent advice. Follow it.

What career are you in now? What do you think you might be interested in?

Old 03-03-2016, 04:14 PM

599 posts, read 693,690 times
I do billing/collections, high stress job. I want out of it ASAP. Most nights I can't sleep.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:33 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2MD View Post
I do billing/collections, high stress job. I want out of it ASAP. Most nights I can't sleep.
Are you a manager/supervisor? You should investigate working in corporate banking (not the branches) as you have credit knowledge. Google the banks and financial services companies in your area.

Link: Credit Bank Jobs, Employment in Fairfax, VA | Indeed.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment