Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 03:30 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,143,879 times

Advertisements

We are a small team in a small office so everyone notices this. This is a daily and consistent issue.

We have a coworker that spends roughly 1-1.5 hours per day in the restroom during a regular 8 hour day. There are some days in which this person is in there every 15 minutes. I share the same wall with the restroom so unfortunately I hear every cough and fart this person does. Every time this person is in there he coughs and makes a lot of noise. I noticed this person will flush multiple times back to back (literally 5-6 times). Our toilet is not broken or anything.

It is to the point that it is difficult to use the restroom ourselves. I have noticed when I finally get a chance to use it this coworker will keep trying to turn the knob or knock on the door. I have to literally say "I am in here". If I am unlucky enough to use it after this coworker, I noticed that they forgot to flush or missed the toilet entirely. So sometimes I find myself cleaning the restroom. Sometimes, I simply have to use the restroom elsewhere and not at work.

We work in a professional environment, and this particular coworker is highly educated (PhD) and in their 40's. Some of us are wondering if there is a health issue? It is uncomfortable to bring up, so none of us have. How do you bring something like this up?

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 03:35 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
It is most likely a health issue and I can guarantee this is causing them much more stress and worry than it is you. They probably have IBS or something similar. Definitely don't bring it up unless you are the boss and you think it isn't legit and is causing a problem with them getting their work done.

They are probably embarrassed to death already and bringing it up would really make things uncomfortable for everyone.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:40 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
We are a small team in a small office so everyone notices this. This is a daily and consistent issue.

We have a coworker that spends roughly 1-1.5 hours per day in the restroom during a regular 8 hour day. There are some days in which this person is in there every 15 minutes. I share the same wall with the restroom so unfortunately I hear every cough and fart this person does. Every time this person is in there he coughs and makes a lot of noise. I noticed this person will flush multiple times back to back (literally 5-6 times). Our toilet is not broken or anything.

It is to the point that it is difficult to use the restroom ourselves. I have noticed when I finally get a chance to use it this coworker will keep trying to turn the knob or knock on the door. I have to literally say "I am in here". If I am unlucky enough to use it after this coworker, I noticed that they forgot to flush or missed the toilet entirely. So sometimes I find myself cleaning the restroom. Sometimes, I simply have to use the restroom elsewhere and not at work.

We work in a professional environment, and this particular coworker is highly educated (PhD) and in their 40's. Some of us are wondering if there is a health issue? It is uncomfortable to bring up, so none of us have. How do you bring something like this up?

What are your thoughts?
Tell the manager about this issues and let them deal with it....That is (After all) their job.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
It is most likely a health issue and I can guarantee this is causing them much more stress and worry than it is you. They probably have IBS or something similar. Definitely don't bring it up unless you are the boss and you think it isn't legit and is causing a problem with them getting their work done.

They are probably embarrassed to death already and bringing it up would really make things uncomfortable for everyone.
This is why none of us have said anything.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Tell the manager about this issues and let them deal with it....That is (After all) their job.
It has been brought to the attention of the manager, but it is such a sensitive issue I think even management is embarrassed to say anything.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:54 PM

115 posts, read 146,243 times
Quote:

What are your thoughts?
I'm fairly certain I read an article once about this situation where a manager of a call center that only allowed employees a few 10 minute restroom breaks was told by someone who knows the laws that you can't limit someone's bathroom time according to OSHA. I typically go every two hours, not because I need to but because it's a good reason to get up and move around. Given all these articles you see about how extended sitting, no matter how much exercise you get before or after work, leads to higher mortality rates and is extremely bad for the body, I try to find any excuse I can to move around to get a drink or go to the vending machine or whatever. I'd like a standing desk but even after the management was asked by a number of people it seems like they are dragging their feet. Maybe just a few standing stations would be nice.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:57 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
It has been brought to the attention of the manager, but it is such a sensitive issue I think even management is embarrassed to say anything.
Then (To be brutally honest) I'd leave an anon note of their desk suggesting a trip to a doctor.....It obviously bothers many and this is why the person NEEDS to know how they are disrupting your work and area.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:21 PM

299 posts, read 350,321 times
He may have IBS, IBD, colitis, Crohn's, or some other gastric disease. Even though he is probably being treated, this is something that you cannot with certainty control. I'm sure he's as uncomfortable about it - even more so - than you. However, it doesn't excuse the fact that he cannot clean up after himself.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:39 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,603 times
Is there only 1 bathroom?

I've known and worked with people with Crohns and IBS. Yep, they're in the bathroom like every hour or 2 and I know 1 who had to change his colostomy bag every so often. Yes, there are farts and "courtesy" flushes, hence the 5 or 6 flushes, though, they've never left the bathroom dirty.

Luckily, for them, there were community stalls, as well as 1 personal bathroom, so they would try to use that one, as it's less embarrassing for everyone and provides a measure of privacy. Heck, I've used the personal bathroom during those times of the month, just 'cause.

Other than the cleanliness issue, you don't bring it up. I'm sure he's well aware of how obvious his issue is. I'm sure HR and/or management is already aware. His credentials and professionalism have nothing to do with this, other than not cleaning up if he misses.

But, seriously, is there only 1 bathroom in the whole office? There should be at least 1 ADA compliant bathroom/stall. Worst case scenario, he uses the ADA compliant stall (the wheelchair one) and NO ONE ELSE does. This shouldn't even be an issue. I'm wondering if he shouldn't be the one with the complaint, unless, OP, you've left something out.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:48 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
.......... I noticed that they forgot to flush or missed the toilet entirely. So sometimes I find myself cleaning the restroom. ......
I'd ignore it, except that I would post a nice sign in the bathroom that says "If you miss, clean it up yourself and don't leave it for your coworkers to clean up"

If someone has bathroom issues, then the polite thing to do is to not make them uncomfortable. I find it to be very bad manners to make a mess in the bathroom and to leave it for someone else to clean up. Everyone in this situation should be using their very best and polite manners, and that includes bathroom boy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment