Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 03:24 AM

15 posts, read 12,194 times

Advertisements

Hello,

What do you think about the difference in the minimum annual leave in the USA and in Europe? Firstly, I have to say that I live in Europe and have never visited USA. I have the information only from friends and from Internet.
In Europe, the minimum annual leave is usually 4 or 5 weeks and there are also public holidays.
I can´t imagine having only 2 weeks of holiday a year, especially with small kids. How do you cope with it? It seems to me that Americans have very little free time and because of short annual leave they can´t spend time with their family, travel and explore their beautiful country. They have to wait until retirement. A lot of people who travelled accross the U.S said to me that they had met very few American tourists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 03:31 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times
I'm in the U.S. and I take more than 5 weeks off per year. In the U.S. your total package is extremely variable. If you want more leave, you simply find a job with more leave. If you want to work from home, you simply find a job that allows you to work from home. If you want free lunch, you simply find a job that offers free lunch. It's all over the place.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:02 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Vacation time is, for exempt employees at least, typically pretty negotiable. I've only had one where a job change took away any vacation time. Every other time, simply stating that I had more vacation at my previous job was enough to get that to be part of the offer. I now have 30 days of paid time off, combining vacation, sick time, personal time, and variable religious holidays. It is still a bit less than my German counterparts, factoring in everything, but I cannot complain.

Meanwhile, a very large contingent of workers in the United States (about 23%) work without a day of paid time off. You work: you get paid; you don't work: you don't get paid. [Source: Economic Policy Institute, March 2014.]

Old 02-14-2016, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Vacation time is, for exempt employees at least, typically pretty negotiable. I've only had one where a job change took away any vacation time. Every other time, simply stating that I had more vacation at my previous job was enough to get that to be part of the offer. I now have 30 days of paid time off, combining vacation, sick time, personal time, and variable religious holidays. It is still a bit less than my German counterparts, factoring in everything, but I cannot complain.

Meanwhile, a very large contingent of workers in the United States (about 23%) work without a day of paid time off. You work: you get paid; you don't work: you don't get paid. [Source: Economic Policy Institute, March 2014.]
I suppose that this large contingent of workers are contract workers, freelancers etc.

Old 02-14-2016, 04:23 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
On the contrary, most likely a very trivial amount of them are self-employed like that. Only 10% of Americans are self-employed, earning income from the profits of their own business. As a matter of fact, the vast majority of contract workers, freelancers, etc. actually are employed by employment agencies and such, and get paid time off from their arrangement with the agency itself.

So no, those getting no paid time off are not contract workers, freelancers etc. Practically all of those workers are in the bottom third with regard to wages. They are made up mostly of low-wage service workers of various sorts. Just looking at the bottom 10% of earners, 61% receive no paid vacation and 66% receive no paid holidays. [Source: Pew Research Center, 2014.]

Old 02-14-2016, 04:29 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makak View Post
Hello,

What do you think about the difference in the minimum annual leave in the USA and in Europe? Firstly, I have to say that I live in Europe and have never visited USA. I have the information only from friends and from Internet.
In Europe, the minimum annual leave is usually 4 or 5 weeks and there are also public holidays.
I can´t imagine having only 2 weeks of holiday a year, especially with small kids. How do you cope with it? It seems to me that Americans have very little free time and because of short annual leave they can´t spend time with their family, travel and explore their beautiful country. They have to wait until retirement. A lot of people who travelled accross the U.S said to me that they had met very few American tourists.
Really depends on the job, company and wage earner. Not surprising some high wage earners make 6 figures and have more time off, their focus is on the WORK when working. But they can afford the private jets and the services for which they pay huge amounts for and thus, employ people and add to their pockets....

Lower wage earners (Raises hand) instead just wait to retirement and then carefully plan for an excursion...

Old 02-14-2016, 06:29 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
When I was working as a contract employee the vacation time was zero. Same for sick time: zero.

In Europe, workers have rights.

In the USA, you're on your own.

Ain't America great?

Old 02-14-2016, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
When I was working as a contract employee the vacation time was zero. Same for sick time: zero.

Ain't America great?

Don´t worry, this comes to Europe soon as well. For the time being, this is true only for less qualified workers hired by agencies.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:55 AM

928 posts, read 1,101,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post

Ain't America great?
In Europe you also have 10% unemployment because of all the employment rules and not bein able to fire anyone.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggerlee666 View Post
In Europe you also have 10% unemployment because of all the employment rules and not bein able to fire anyone.
Do you think? It depends on the country, Germany has only 5 %, the Czech Republic as well...I suppose there are also differences in the rate of unemployment among the states in the U.S...But I am sure we do not have so many working people on food stamps as you in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment