Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 07:35 AM

930 posts, read 700,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
I don't like the way that's worded, especially the "...I just wanted to put it out there that I think I could help the team with...." Forward, bold, assuming. There are umpteen other ways of phrasing a wish for growth in your work without composing it in your head like that.
How else would you have worded that exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4
That was your cue to smile sincerely and say, "I think it's great. I'm enjoying the work. Thank you!." Talk about what you're working on, and how you're learning new things. And then ask, "What are your feelings about my performance so far?"
Sure. Because honesty doesn't pay the bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4
So it's not so unchallenging, right off?
Learning internal jargon and process does not equate to interesting or challenging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4
Huh?
You really didn't understand what I was saying there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 07:51 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,978,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Analyst View Post
How else would you have worded that exactly?
I'm not going to write it for you. As a boss, how would you like it expressed to you? You think.

Quote:
Sure. Because honesty doesn't pay the bills.
But a job you're grateful for having because it provides income does.

Quote:
Learning internal jargon and process does not equate to interesting or challenging.
You have to be able to communicate with them and their business rules.

Quote:
You really didn't understand what I was saying there?
To "Not a big deal, I'll focus on learning those things since he has now made it clear that he expects this." I was prepared to say, "Duh." You got tact instead.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
I'm not going to write it for you. As a boss, how would you like it expressed to you? You think.

But a job you're grateful for having because it provides income does.

You have to be able to communicate with them and their business rules.

To "Not a big deal, I'll focus on learning those things since he has now made it clear that he expects this." I was prepared to say, "Duh." You got tact instead.
Yeah. Ok.

This is pedantic and obtuse.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:19 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
Yeah. Ok.

This is pedantic and obtuse.
You're becoming more belligerent with every post, yet still not getting the point, then downplaying earnest advice as "confirmation bias" because you didn't get the comfort you asked for.

It sounds like you bungled the interaction when he ASKED YOU your opinion. Instead of answering the question he asked, you made the point you wanted to make.

You say you're frustrated, and it apparently shows. You don't have to say it out loud for a manager to know that.

Yes, managers make mistakes. Job descriptions change. You've gotten good advice here on how to proceed. I would put down your guard and take the advice.

Old 02-18-2016, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You're becoming more belligerent with every post, yet still not getting the point, then downplaying earnest advice as "confirmation bias" because you didn't get the comfort you asked for.

It sounds like you bungled the interaction when he ASKED YOU your opinion. Instead of answering the question he asked, you made the point you wanted to make.

You say you're frustrated, and it apparently shows. You don't have to say it out loud for a manager to know that.

Yes, managers make mistakes. Job descriptions change. You've gotten good advice here on how to proceed. I would put down your guard and take the advice.
I'm sorry that I am coming across that way. I know what I need to do. I'm just not agreeing with the posters who are treating me like an idiot. It's not helpful to criticize me and then not provide feedback as to what I could change, but this seems to be management 101 anymore.

Hey, you're doing that wrong.

Okay, how do you think I can improve?

You figure it out!

Old 02-18-2016, 08:43 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
Quote:
I'm sorry that I am coming across that way. I know what I need to do. I'm just not agreeing with the posters who are treating me like an idiot. It's not helpful to criticize me and then not provide feedback as to what I could change, but this seems to be management 101 anymore.

You figure it out!
You won't and cannot expect to agree with everyone who responds. Replying to them is futile.

What you can do is sort through and take the actual good advice that has been offered:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

In these cases the best thing to do in these cases is not to fight the system and keep doing what you are currently doing, and the best you can at it. And bide your time until you can find a better job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Similar experience, bit my tongue, smiled, did what was asked and got into contracting.

If you are sas/sql based, put yourself out there and get into 'big data'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
A good rule of thumb going forward, IMO, is not to make any signficant suggestions, or make any work requests, until you've been in a job for six months. It takes six months to get familiar with the job, the people, the company, the politics, as well as prove yourself.

I would advise learning to make the best of whatever work you are given, keeping in mind that work changes.

This will pass. I had a rotten job for about 6 mos years ago. It was horrible while I was going through it. But I ended up with a job I was much happier with. Remember that it will get better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post

Step back, keep your head down and do your job. Many of us have been in your shoes, start looking. It is hard as hell to work in an environment like that, but you'll get through it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Yeah, don't make this about him.

If you are weak in some areas, him putting you on a PDP is his logical response. This is the big thing with employers these days. Happens all the time.

But if you are not happy with your job description, getting a new job is YOUR logical response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Do NOT write a letter to your manager. Very bad idea. Instead, let him know that you see value in the way the job is moving and that you would like to do whatever is best for the company.
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post

You need to find another job, and in the meantime, just do what they've told you to do, and don't bring it up anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
If it were me, I'd be all business with this whacko mgr. No more engagement about anything ambitious or anything remotely outside of the core duties. Head down, do the job, say no more about anything, that's it. I also wouldn't try to impress him with anything. Just do the job.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:46 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
I made a mistake. In my heart, I thought I was doing the right thing by sharing with my manager what some of my career interests were. I've only brought it up once with him about a month ago on my own. This second time, on Monday, he provoked the response hy asking what I thought about the job so far. Once again, I thought I was doing the right thing by mentioning that I am trying to incorporate my career aspirations into my job. I thought I was displaying initiative and drive. This experience has taught me, if nothing else, to keep my ambitions to myself.
The manager is probably more at fault, but you need to stop insisting on "performance reviews", esp if the original experience wasn't all that great. This constant " how am I doing" routine can wear on people..

Old 02-18-2016, 11:02 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,948 times
Quote:
I know what I need to do.

Thank God and good luck!

Can we now close this thread and move on? Unless OP comes back again and asks for help ASAP when no urgency exist.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:14 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
Quote:

You figure it out!
Do you understand what's happening? People are testing your responses here, seeing how you respond, and using that information to read between the lines of what's really happening at your workplace. They think that, since you seem not to be getting it here, perhaps you are not getting it there as well, and perhaps your version of events is not tremendously objective.

I don't have a dog in the fight, so to speak, just trying to help you take a step back and see why this, like your job, is going south.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:35 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Do you understand what's happening? People are testing your responses here, seeing how you respond, and using that information to read between the lines of what's really happening at your workplace. They think that, since you seem not to be getting it here, perhaps you are not getting it there as well, and perhaps your version of events is not tremendously objective.

I don't have a dog in the fight, so to speak, just trying to help you take a step back and see why this, like your job, is going south.
Excellent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment